First Performance Upgrades?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jrex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have an ‘03 1500 with the 5.7 in it. I know this is a bad year to do tuning and such because of the way the computer and pcm are set up but what should be the first things to do? Cold Air? Fixing the computer setup to be better suited for a tune? Any input is appreciated.

finally03gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
We're screwed bud.... just went through this..lol
https://www.ramforum.com/threads/tunes-chips-programmers.132743/
That's the tread where I just went through all of this. The summary I gathered was you can do exhaust cold air and maybe a very small cam or gears. There is a tuner that can make some minor adjustments this PCM. But all in all you're pretty well stuck with what you have. You can do the 05 PCM swap but it's not for the novice

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
All depends on how radical you want to go.. as stated the idle tables can't be adjusted and you are stuck with stock. You can get a B&G companion flash. But, honestly the best approach and cheapest is to swapout the pcm for a 05 pcm and get a cmr tune and be done with it..

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
All depends on how radical you want to go.. as stated the idle tables can't be adjusted and you are stuck with stock. You can get a B&G companion flash. But, honestly the best approach and cheapest is to swapout the pcm for a 05 pcm and get a cmr tune and be done with it..

This is the best ultimate route...but if you want a little more pep without that extensive modification, a comp 260 will run on a Superchips 91 tune. Gears are also a good seat of the pants bang for buck. Going from 3.92 to 4.56 made a world of difference; not the hot ticket if you do regular highway driving though.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Headers, gears, different TQ, CAI, Pedal Commander. There are a number of things you can do. I know tuning has been a real problem on that year but if it was me I'd call Sean at Hemifever and talk to him just to see what options you have(or don't have) and what the cost would be.
Jay

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Headers, gears, different TQ, CAI, Pedal Commander. There are a number of things you can do. I know tuning has been a real problem on that year but if it was me I'd call Sean at Hemifever and talk to him just to see what options you have(or don't have) and what the cost would be.
Jay

Pedal commander only works on CAN bus vehicles (like yours). TQ (TC? Torque Converter)? Everything else is a good supporting cast. Definitely can't use everything on an 03 that works for a 4th gen or hell, even most later 3rd gens. There is some custom tuning that can be done to the 03 PCM, but unfortunately it takes a Diablo Predator to do it and they have a very BAD reputation for fragging PCM's and ABS modules on 03's for some reason. 04 & later don't seem to have this problem.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think that there is a few guys over on the "Hemi Truck Club" that have 03's that have had some success in doing some mod's to their trucks. You might take a look over there.
Jay

2016Bighorny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On My old 2003 Hemi, I had a few mods that were perfect on my truck...it was great! I had an Airaid CAI, Banks Monster exhaust, Airram power wire, Airram Scoop, Sonax line pressure booster, Superchips programmer, and it ran great! heres a picture of the old girl, may she rest in peace!100_5678.jpg100_5672.jpg