Tunes/chips/programmers??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

finally03gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm fairly new to the dodge world, and I have googled till my eyes crossed and can't find a solid answer so here it is:

2003 Ram 1500 Laramie 5.7 Quad Cab 4X4. I bought it with a Magnaflow dual out muffler and just had a Magnaflow 3" cat installed. Also running a K&N filter. Looking for a little more umph, but its really not clear from various sources how much to really expect from a tune. Anyone with real world numbers or experience. It seems that 2002-2003 have a PCI bus and 2004+ went CAN???, and I'm guessing that makes some difference.

Also I know forums don't always do well with dual questions post, but taking a chance...... I've notice when I feed it throttle under load, my TB at the manifold maxes about about 43% until I give it enough to down shift (number from torque pro and I feel it in the seat). What's up with that?

Thanks for the input.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
You got stuck with a crap year. You’ll get a small bump in driveability improvements with a superchips or diablo tune. There’s a few custom tuners that can get alittle power out of the 03 but it’s not easy or really that cheap. Jay Greene Racing has the fastest 03’s running his tuning and custom cam for the 03, but tuning issues can make it a headache.

I Bleed Ram Trucks

OP
OP
finally03gt

finally03gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Let me guess... an '04 + (with CAN bus) would be as easy to chip as my Mustang....

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
04 is when the tuning got usable, 05 is even better.

I Bleed Ram Trucks

OP
OP
finally03gt

finally03gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the reply Crisp. Any idea on the lack of throttle response. Mainly just curious to know if I need to chase an issue or if it is normal operation....

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I’m sorry, I kind of don’t understand the issue exactly. Are you saying you can push the pedal with no response until it goes really far and then downshifts? I’m assuming like when you are cruising in overdrive? There is quite a bit of dead pedal space and throttle lag built into the computer. A tuner will help adjust that some

I Bleed Ram Trucks

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'm fairly new to the dodge world, and I have googled till my eyes crossed and can't find a solid answer so here it is:

2003 Ram 1500 Laramie 5.7 Quad Cab 4X4. I bought it with a Magnaflow dual out muffler and just had a Magnaflow 3" cat installed. Also running a K&N filter. Looking for a little more umph, but its really not clear from various sources how much to really expect from a tune. Anyone with real world numbers or experience. It seems that 2002-2003 have a PCI bus and 2004+ went CAN???, and I'm guessing that makes some difference.

Also I know forums don't always do well with dual questions post, but taking a chance...... I've notice when I feed it throttle under load, my TB at the manifold maxes about about 43% until I give it enough to down shift (number from torque pro and I feel it in the seat). What's up with that?

Thanks for the input.

Answered bold below. With either of the canned tune options available, on average you're probably looking at about a 15hp jump with maybe some driveability improvements. Be VERY careful if you tune with a Diablo (especially the Predator) on an 03 as they are known for fragging ABS modules and sometimes PCM's.
Feeding throttle under load; is that WOT, towing, what? What are the conditions, what speed and how much throttle are you trying to give it?

Let me guess... an '04 + (with CAN bus) would be as easy to chip as my Mustang....

You guess wrong lol. 04 is still PCI bus. CAN bus did not arrive in the Ram until 06. 05 is arguably the best year for custom tuning which is why it is the year some 03's get converted to. Nobody chips anymore, this isn't the 80's/early 90's. I guarantee you "tuned" your ford, not "chipped" it lol.

OP
OP
finally03gt

finally03gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’m sorry, I kind of don’t understand the issue exactly. Are you saying you can push the pedal with no response until it goes really far and then downshifts? I’m assuming like when you are cruising in overdrive? There is quite a bit of dead pedal space and throttle lag built into the computer. A tuner will help adjust that some

I Bleed Ram Trucks

Feeding throttle under load; is that WOT, towing, what? What are the conditions, what speed and how much throttle are you trying to give it?

Pretty much, but not always overdrive. When I say under load, I mean the engine is in a bit of bog at the current RPM and acceleration I want. For example..... 60 mph at about 1500 RPM and wanting to accelerate without a downshift. In general if accelerating "gently" I can feel the truck accelerate and watch the TB open on the torque app, UNTIL about 1/3 - 1/2 on the accelerator pedal and about 43% on torque app, then pressing the accelerator does nothing until near WOT when it downshifts and gets going. Towing, cruising, doesn't seem to matter. From about 1/2 to about near WOT throttle produces no change in acceleration or TB opening on torque app. It's just DEAD...haha.

You guess wrong lol. 04 is still PCI bus. CAN bus did not arrive in the Ram until 06. 05 is arguably the best year for custom tuning which is why it is the year some 03's get converted to. Nobody chips anymore, this isn't the 80's/early 90's. I guarantee you "tuned" your ford, not "chipped" it lol.

I'm not very versed on Dodge, I was just piecing together a theory based on knowing SOME changes took place and some years tune better than others. Curious that one year PCI bus tunes better than another PCI.... good to know.

And YES.. chip.... 2003 Ford Mustang GT with a SCT 4 bank switchable chip that piggy backs physically on the ECU. Granted the SCT chip had a tune on it programmed by Bama Tunes, but still a physical chip, not an ECU flash. https://www.americanmuscle.com/sct-4bank-custom-9904gt.html And doesn't JET make a "chip" for these trucks that connects between the ECU and the wire harness?

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got a superchips 3865 lying around that will help wake that 03 up

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

Will definitely make a difference, plus doubles as a code reader and (if installed) datalogs as well (not that you need the last part, sounds like you have that covered).

OP
OP
finally03gt

finally03gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Not sure 15 hp is what I was hoping for.... My only real complaints are the insane power train losses, and the big dead spot in the pedal, but what are you wanting for it? Inbox if you're more comfortable...

Will definitely make a difference, plus doubles as a code reader and (if installed) datalogs as well (not that you need the last part, sounds like you have that covered).

Torque pro can actually pull and clear codes, and log if you don't mind a bit of hassle. Also have an Autel maxidiag 801. Attached is torque logging on a PO420 trying to pin down O2 vs cat.

I do appreciate all the input guys!

20181218_093229.jpg

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Not sure 15 hp is what I was hoping for.... My only real complaints are the insane power train losses, and the big dead spot in the pedal

Unfortunately that's the conservative side of a canned tune plus the absolute screwing over of having an 03 PCM lol. Hell, you can't even get into the TCM to change anything. The RFE is well known for it's horrific drivetrain loss and the fly-by-wire definitely isn't everyone's cup of tea.

OP
OP
finally03gt

finally03gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yea, I bought the the truck based on having driven my Dad's '09 RWD, and publish power numbers, but quickly learned that kinda power wasn't making it to the wheels. I kinda chalked it up to 4x4 with non-disengaging hubs, but seems RWD guys suffer too. I've owned a 2011 Shelby (SC'd 5.4 @ 550 hp), 1996 F350 (7.3 PS), and currently a 2015 explorer (3.5 TT eco boost @ about 365 hp) and the 2003 Mustang (4.6 NA, don't wake to talk about lack of HP..LOL but with 3.73 gears). These all average about 17 MPG combined and 20-22 MPG hwy. Then.... haha... here comes Hemi. 12.2 MPG combine and maaaayybe 14.5 hwy. That tells the whole story. There is a lot of work being done somewhere that is not at the tire.

Oh well, it's still a pretty good pick up, so I'll just accept it for what it is.

Thanks again guys!

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yea, I bought the the truck based on having driven my Dad's '09 RWD

No offense, but that was dumb. You bought a 3rd gen based on your experience driving a 4th gen. Completely different engine and platform. Same ****** transmission but more power.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
finally03gt

finally03gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No offense, but that was dumb. You bought a 3rd gen based on your experience driving a 4th gen. Completely different engine and platform. Same ****** transmission but more power.

On paper the '03 is 345hp/375ftlbs and the '09 is 390/407 for a bump of 45/32. I suppose that is an earth shattering difference one should expect for an completely different 5.7 Hemi.

I unfortunately did not have the opportunity to pull the travel trailer during a test drive. I have pulled my travel trailer with my 2015 Explorer That's rated at 365 / 350, and as far as power goes it honestly pulls the travel trailer better than the Dodge or my 7.3 Powerstroke. So again on paper the ram being a half ton pickup with slightly more torque than my unibody SUV, I suspected it would pull better.

Oh well I guess not everybody has the intelligence to buy a vehicle. ;)

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
It has more to do with the transmission ratios. Dodge transmissions have terrible gear ratios, and it also has to do with your rear end ratio. The stated hp numbers are simply engine power, you are only putting about 275 hp to the ground on your 03. Tons of drivetrain loss.

I Bleed Ram Trucks

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
On paper the '03 is 345hp/375ftlbs and the '09 is 390/407 for a bump of 45/32. I suppose that is an earth shattering difference one should expect for an completely different 5.7 Hemi.

I unfortunately did not have the opportunity to pull the travel trailer during a test drive. I have pulled my travel trailer with my 2015 Explorer That's rated at 365 / 350, and as far as power goes it honestly pulls the travel trailer better than the Dodge or my 7.3 Powerstroke. So again on paper the ram being a half ton pickup with slightly more torque than my unibody SUV, I suspected it would pull better.

Oh well I guess not everybody has the intelligence to buy a vehicle.

Last part very true, but try looking beyond the paper. Little research goes a long way. The 5.7 was redesigned in 09 with variable valve timing, vastly improved cylinder heads, active intake, more cam and compression. The numbers don't seem all that different but it's the delivery across the board, not to mention in a better, improved platform.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It has more to do with the transmission ratios. Dodge transmissions have terrible gear ratios, and it also has to do with your rear end ratio. The stated hp numbers are simply engine power, you are only putting about 275 hp to the ground on your 03. Tons of drivetrain loss.

I Bleed Ram Trucks
But his dad's 09 would have suffered the same problem (still an RFE in 09), just slightly more power available.

OP
OP
finally03gt

finally03gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No, I hear ya... stated numbers are only peak, and honestly the '03 is a pretty high RPM power band for a truck. The Explorer is variable geo turbos and direct injection, VVT all that stuff, so wide power band. Haven't looked at 4th gens but know they picked up VVT so I assume a wider power band.

Real story is: I was DDing the Shelby with the 1996 F350 crewcab long bed on Travel Trailer duty. Got laid off, sold the Shelby and started Dding the f350... succkkkeddd. So I had about a $6k budget to get into a half ton that would pull the Trailer. Basically options were 3rd gen, Ford 5.4, or Chevy 5.3. Still think I ended up with best option. Only REAL problem is I can catch OD with the trailer, so we hum along at 62 mph at about 2600 RPM and 8 mpg...lol