First time Ram buyer--6 vs. 8 speed? Other things to consider?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Are you saying that informed buyers are avoiding the 6-speeds? From my research it looks like both tranny's have been offered in 2500s since 2013. Is the 6-speed considered an overall lower quality transmission?

I can only tell you what this buyer did, and I was only interested in the Power Wagon if I went 2500. The 6 speed was noticeably less smooth and acceleration, particularly highway speed downshift to pass, felt slower and more labored. In the 1500 it was a difference, but much smaller. In the 2500, it was night and day. I had no interest in a 6 speed 2500 and would have bought a Ford if it was all that was avaliable. Once I drove the 8 speed I was instantly hooked and went with Ram. Tried to order a 2023, order banks were closed, bought a 2021 75th anniversary PW with 8107 miles on it instead.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is absolutely zero reasons to get the 6 speed.

PolarisCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I see quite a few of them, but they are ALL prior rentals. If private owners are selling or trading them, I don't know where they are.
I bought my 2017 1500 in 2018. Had 23,000 miles, was a former rental. I looked it over and drove it, seemed to be in great shape. Still had the balance of the 36K warranty, so I figured it would cover any issues.

At 80,000 now, have replaced the battery, a set of tires and brakes. Other than that, I have had zero issues, and am as happy as can be with my truck.

I would not be afraid of a rental if it looks good, and there is a reasonable amount of factory warranty left.

JerryETX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4- 3:73- 6 Speed
I have a 2016 2500 6.4 Hemi with the 6 speed 3:73. I tow a 10,500 (loaded weight on travel day) 38' travel trailer. On flat highway I can run 65-68 with no problem. If there are hills or headwinds that all changes pretty fast. Hills will slow me down pretty good. Fuel mileage towing my TT is around 5-6 mpg!

I say all that to say I truly wish I had the 8 speed tranny. No way would I recommend to someone to buy a 6 speed. There's a pretty noticeable difference between the two. You never know when you may want to upgrade your travel trailer or just need to tow a heavier load.

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I can’t comment on the 8 speed but I can from experience on the 6 speed. I can definitely tell you that the weakest link in the 6 speed is the valve body and solenoid pack. I had a 2015 with the 66rfe and changed the valve body and solenoid due to harsh shifting issues.(common issue) I am now in a 2016 power wagon with the same trans and I’m getting ready to swap it again but this time I’m doing it for preventive measures. Not having the harsh shifting like the last one but want to upgrade now before it happens or has a chance to happen. The 6 speed is a bit lazy in its shift patterns from my experience but I have never had an issue with slippage or anything else. It is honestly a very capable trans and don’t think it would leave you stranded anymore than an 8 speed as far as reliability goes.
With all that being said if the prices were not so absurd I would have opted for an 8 speed 19 or newer truck but the 6 speed is a very capable trans. From what I’ve seen they both get about the same fuel mileage when towing since the final gear are close in both trans.

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
Hi all. I'm eyeing a 2018 Laramie 2500 Hemi with the 66RFE. I'm a total rookie when it comes to Rams, and the Hemi 6.4 seem very hard to find right now, so I'm trying to learn fast so I can act.

It has 3.73 axle ratio and I'll be using the truck primarily for weekend trips pulling a 5000 lb 25' travel trailer.

I've driven a '19 with an 8 speed and it was great. How does this 6-speed tranny stack up? It won't be my daily driver. I'll just be pulling a 25' trailer on occasion.

Anything else I should check for before pulling the trigger? I'm just trying to buy it with eyes open.

Thanks!
Get the 8 speed if you can find one.
Why are you getting a heavy duty truck? If all you are doing is towing a 5,000 lb trailer you may not need a HD truck. Open your search for a newer 5.7 with the 8 speed transmission and 3.92 axle.

How much cargo capacity do you need? Here's what I do:
Check the fully loaded weight capacity of the trailer, add 200 lbs (because we always over load these things). Take 15% of that number. That is your estimated hitch weight. Subtract that from the cargo capacity of the truck you are looking at. Does that leave you enough capacity to load up the bed with stuff plus the family and friends in the cab?

Compu-Doc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
There is absolutely zero reasons to get the 6 speed.
I have a 6sp that has a column shifter and I can put it into manual shift mode with the controls right there so I can choose the shift points and disable the MDS at the same time. Does your 8sp do that??

Tunaman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 RAM with 6.4 pulling a 5000 lb trailer!! Sure the 8 speed would do a little better but you will have absolutely no problem with the 6 speed. Thats no much of a load for 3/4 ton truck.

Tunaman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
25’ and 5200# towed occasionally? I’d buy a 1500.

With an 8 speed.
I have to agree, I pulled a 6500 lb travel trailer with 2 different 1500's 5.7 8 speed and it pulled like a dream. And guarantee lots better mileage when I wasn't towing with the 1500.....don't over do it. I do highly recommend a load leveler hitch, it makes all the difference.

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
I have a 6sp that has a column shifter and I can put it into manual shift mode with the controls right there so I can choose the shift points and disable the MDS at the same time. Does your 8sp do that??
Yep. And nobody needs a 2500 Ram to tow a 6,500 lb trailer.
My 1500 Eco Diesel has:
8 speeds,
No MDS (Mad Derangement System) on a diesel,
Manual Shift buttons on steering wheel,
Tow/Heavy duty button modifies shift points,
The highly convenient out of the way fun Spin O-Matic dial shifter on the dash,
3.92 gears,
tow capacity of 10,800 lbs
cargo capacity of 1600 lbs.

I can engage the cruise control in the mountains while towing a 6,500 lb trailer and kind of forget its back there.

While a gas engine revs higher (and is considerably noisier in the mountains) a properly equipped 5.7 Ram can tow and carry about as much, if properly equipped.

You don't need a 2500 Ram.

Willie Mosher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 gas
I have 2018 w6.4 gas 6 speed 6pack long bed 4x4 w4.10
an 4500 to 5000 lbs camping trailer,
The top gear 4 gear in 6 and 8 speed are the same so low speeds an stop
the 8 speed is bit better.

But if mostly tow over 30 mph 2500
Gas 6.4 w 6 speed is good option.
I have tow about 30000 miles and lot
The Steps hill on western state,
The 1/2 ton do not Big brakes and transmissions and axle to handle big
Hills On regular basis.

vlamgat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Be patient. Saudi Arabia cut down oil production and prices are creeping up. If the trend continues, I suspect there will be more 2500 hundreds to choose from.
Not true. Stop spreading fake news. They influenced other OPECe members to follow their lead and not increase production just because the US publicly and the EU privately asked for an increase. Meantime no one really knows what Russia is producing but it has not decreased materially as expected. This is causing prices to ease.
There are still and will continue to be shortages of diesel and other mid distillate like kerosene, and gasoline largely because of refinery and storage capacity issues.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not true. Stop spreading fake news. They influenced other OPECe members to follow their lead and not increase production just because the US publicly and the EU privately asked for an increase. Meantime no one really knows what Russia is producing but it has not decreased materially as expected. This is causing prices to ease.
There are still and will continue to be shortages of diesel and other mid distillate like kerosene, and gasoline largely because of refinery and storage capacity issues.
Hold on. Huntergreen’s info is no more inaccurate as yours. OPEC which Saudi Arabia is part of did cut oil production in November. Russian oil production had little effect on domestic gas prices as the U.S. and Canada are sanctioning Russia for the Ukraine war. Russia produces about 10% of global oil and their biggest buyers are China and India. The US is pumping record oil production in 2022. Gas is dropping because several refineries that were out of service over the summer for maintenance, repair or damage are back on line and producing gasoline not Russian oil. Global demand for gasoline has dropped because of recession fears and high inflation further bringing domestic gas prices down. My point is you snapped at huntergreen for fake news because in your estimation they gave inaccurate info when your info wasn’t 100% either.

JerryETX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4- 3:73- 6 Speed
Yep. And nobody needs a 2500 Ram to tow a 6,500 lb trailer.
My 1500 Eco Diesel has:
8 speeds,
No MDS (Mad Derangement System) on a diesel,
Manual Shift buttons on steering wheel,
Tow/Heavy duty button modifies shift points,
The highly convenient out of the way fun Spin O-Matic dial shifter on the dash,
3.92 gears,
tow capacity of 10,800 lbs
cargo capacity of 1600 lbs.

I can engage the cruise control in the mountains while towing a 6,500 lb trailer and kind of forget its back there.

While a gas engine revs higher (and is considerably noisier in the mountains) a properly equipped 5.7 Ram can tow and carry about as much, if properly equipped.

You don't need a 2500 Ram.
OP said he also wants to haul a heavier travel trailer at times.

Tie Hand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
They are, but the steering wheel has the manual gear select buttons when you have the 8 speed. Look down and right from the horn, you'll see "gear limit" and the +/- buttons.

View attachment 508848
I would just like to add a clarification. The gear limit is not a manual gear selection. It only limits the top gear the truck will use. A manual mode would be more useful to me. The truck will still automatically shift between gears up to the top gear you specify.