First time Ram buyer--6 vs. 8 speed? Other things to consider?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DJMunrocked

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm eyeing a 2018 Laramie 2500 Hemi with the 66RFE. I'm a total rookie when it comes to Rams, and the Hemi 6.4 seem very hard to find right now, so I'm trying to learn fast so I can act.

It has 3.73 axle ratio and I'll be using the truck primarily for weekend trips pulling a 5000 lb 25' travel trailer.

I've driven a '19 with an 8 speed and it was great. How does this 6-speed tranny stack up? It won't be my daily driver. I'll just be pulling a 25' trailer on occasion.

Anything else I should check for before pulling the trigger? I'm just trying to buy it with eyes open.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How many miles a year ...do you estimate? Are you talking about a travel trailer, open car trailer, or towing heavy equipment ...a lot?

Most guys rave about the 8-spd. But if yer not planning to drive a ton of miles, or they're local and less highway, it probably doesn't matter which trans. The RFE tranny's have been used for years (decades??), if you find a good deal, they're plenty tough. I have the RFE in my tk. Yeah it often chugs before dropping down a gear, but the nuances are liveable. I just know when to kick it down (almost instinctively now), and its a non-issue. But then again, mine is geared more for the hwy. Might be a non-issue with a higher ratio. But you should drive one around a while and see what you think. Take it home and hook your trailer up. Hold out for an 8-spd if that's what you want.

Find out the axle ratio of whatever tk you're looking at ..and make sure it'll work fine for your towing needs. You can always plug the vin into chrysler's website, or call a dealer service department (or maybe parts dept too).

Last edited:

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
8 speed transmission is better overall for everything. There isn't big jump with the gear ratios in the transmission with the 8 speed like there is with the 6 speed.

OP
OP
D

DJMunrocked

Reaction score
The 8 speed is night and day better in every way than the 6 speed. Find a ‘19 or newer, be patient, you’ll track one down.
I see quite a few of them, but they are ALL prior rentals. If private owners are selling or trading them, I don't know where they are.

OP
OP
D

DJMunrocked

Reaction score
In the 2500, the 8 speed is waaaay better.
Are you saying that informed buyers are avoiding the 6-speeds? From my research it looks like both tranny's have been offered in 2500s since 2013. Is the 6-speed considered an overall lower quality transmission?

OP
OP
D

DJMunrocked

Reaction score
How many miles a year ...do you estimate? Are you talking about a travel trailer, open car trailer, or towing heavy equipment ...a lot?

Most guys rave about the 8-spd. But if yer not planning to drive a ton of miles, or they're local and less highway, it probably doesn't matter which trans. The RFE tranny's have been used for years (decades??), if you find a good deal, they're plenty tough. I have the RFE in my tk. Yeah it often chugs before dropping down a gear, but the nuances are liveable. I just know when to kick it down and its a non-issue. But you should drive one around a while and see what you think.

Find out the axle ratio of whatever tk you're looking at ..and make sure it'll work fine for your towing needs. You can always plug the vin into chrysler's website, or call a dealer service department (or maybe parts dept too).
3.73 axle ratio. I'll be pulling a 25' travel trailer--about 5200 lbs. Is 3.73 pretty standard on these trucks? I'll just be using it for 200-300 mile weekend trips but I am also thinking about sellability in the future.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Are you saying that informed buyers are avoiding the 6-speeds? From my research it looks like both tranny's have been offered in 2500s since 2013. Is the 6-speed considered an overall lower quality transmission?
The 8HP75-LT(8spd) in the 2500 has only been offered since the '19 model year. The '18 and older truck used the RFE66(gas) and RFE68 (diesel), both 6 spds. The 8HP70(Gen4 trucks) and 8HP75(Gen5) have been available in the 1500s since '13.
It's not that the RFE (6spd) is a bad transmission, just the 8HP line is better and a more robust transmission. If your intent is towing, getting the 8spd should be a deciding factor on buying the truck.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
I see quite a few of them, but they are ALL prior rentals. If private owners are selling or trading them, I don't know where they are.
Where have you been looking?

OP
OP
D

DJMunrocked

Reaction score
The 8HP75-LT(8spd) in the 2500 has only been offered since the '19 model year. The '18 and older truck used the RFE66(gas) and RFE68 (diesel), both 6 spds. The 8HP70(Gen4 trucks) and 8HP75(Gen5) have been available in the 1500s since '13.
It's not that the RFE (6spd) is a bad transmission, just the 8HP line is better and a more robust transmission. If your intent is towing, getting the 8spd should be a deciding factor on buying the truck.
Very helpful, thank you.

OP
OP
D

DJMunrocked

Reaction score
Where have you been looking?
Mostly Autotrader, Carmax and dealership websites, mostly within about 500 mile radius in Northern California. The big truck dealers in Idaho, Oregon, and Texas seem to not have many in stock either. If you know of another source, I'm all ears!

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Mostly Autotrader, Carmax and dealership websites, mostly within about 500 mile radius in Northern California. The big truck dealers in Idaho, Oregon, and Texas seem to not have many in stock either. If you know of another source, I'm all ears!
500 miles is quite a radius. I usually lurk on CarGurus (as well as the others you've mentioned).

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Be patient. Saudi Arabia cut down oil production and prices are creeping up. If the trend continues, I suspect there will be more 2500 hundreds to choose from.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Having been buying recently myself, I can confirm what you are seeing. HD trucks are harder to find and in short supply. Most of the new ones I inquired about were sold in advance of delivery to dealers. Prices of used trucks are upside down too, with low mileage used in some cases priced higher than new. And high mileage used ask prices out of proportion with the remaining life of the truck.

I do believe the tide is turning thanks to inflation and high interest. But a significant portion are needed for work/ business. A business that needs a truck to function will pay a very high price to survive. It’s a cost that will be pushed through to their customers.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7

500 miles is quite a radius. I usually lurk on CarGurus (as well as the others you've mentioned).
AutoTempest.com searches all of those websites as well as eBay and a few others.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Gear ratios. The RFE tranny gets knocked because on the earlier trucks, especially the 1500's sometimes under certain driving/road conditions, the tranny isn't always in the gear some feel it *should* be in. What I've experienced personally, is often, if yer coasting along at, say, 45 mph, and I come to a light hill where I need to accelerate, the truck will 'chug' a little till the tranny downshifts.

That's the most common scenario I experience, in various versions. Again, that's in an older 1500 with a road-friendly gear ratio. The shift programming could be vastly different in a 2500 with 3.73's and a 6.4. A number of owners have commented on this situation over the years but they're mostly 1500 owners from what I've seen ..and on older pickups. The sad thing is it should be something the right shift programming could mitigate. (and maybe it HAS been mitigated by a factory update ...IDK).

I understand what others are saying about the 8-speeds, but I would encourage you to test drive any pickup you're interested in and decide if that issue is even present on said truck, or a deal-breaker with any truck you think fits into your budget. For me, in my situation, as I said before, I just push the accelerator down a little more and it shifts down.

But again, maybe its a non-issue on a particular truck you're interested in due to either a revised shift program, or engine/gear ratio combination. Durability itself isn't the issue. But if a particular truck doesn't shift like you like, then hold off. But take one for a drive. Even a brand new Tk (with each tranny).

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963