Flag pole mount for bed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thorbeast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2016 ram 2500 short bed

I'm trying to figure out the best way to mount a flag on either side of the bed of my truck without drilling into it.

I found the Erickson Flag Pole Holder on etrailer that looks like it'll work great BUT I'm hoping to figure out a DIY option rather than spending $100+ for 2 flag holders.

Standard 3x5 flags.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Only no drill method would be use the stake pockets or install a headache rack and mount them to that if you want something more ridgid. The stamped cut outs are easy to trim out with a boxcutter, but front to back you need to be about 3/8" inside the line as they are a bit bigger than the actual hole front to back. The side to side is bang on.

Dave2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018,Previous 1998
Engine
3.6L,Previous 5.9L
I agree with BWL, If you trim a round wood pole to fit in the stake pockets at the tailgate, you should be fine.

TeamSlacker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Know any designers or 3d printers? I drew these up and printed them. Friction fit the rear stake pockets and a piece of EMT press fit inside. Not perfect but they worked. I also drilled a hole into the 'front' of them that aligns with a hole/slot in the truck box and just ran a long sheetrock screw in to keep them from wiggling or working out. I'm sure you could the same with wood easy enuf.

20200918_190123.jpg

OP
OP
Thorbeast

Thorbeast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Know any designers or 3d printers? I drew these up and printed them. Friction fit the rear stake pockets and a piece of EMT press fit inside. Not perfect but they worked. I also drilled a hole into the 'front' of them that aligns with a hole/slot in the truck box and just ran a long sheetrock screw in to keep them from wiggling or working out. I'm sure you could the same with wood easy enuf.

View attachment 225198
What's your PayPal?? Lol

Thats a badass idea!! How fast have you driven with them to test?

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD

View attachment 225198

Heck sell the plans/drawings (file that the printer uses)

OP
OP
Thorbeast

Thorbeast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

View attachment 225198
I'd totally buy these

TeamSlacker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the kudos but wasn't looking at making them to sell, they aren't perfect and take a while to print because I printed them 'solid'. I think it was like 4 hours print time each. Then with the orientation I printed them, the hole isn't perfectly round, but I just filed a few 'teeth' into the end of the conduit and twisted them in. I'm just better with CAD and a 3d printer, than I am with a block of wood and sander lol.. so yeah.. grab a 2x4 a DA sander with some 80 grit and sand till they fit, it'll be faster than my method :)

Mike62

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I use a drop hitch mount for my flag pole on my truck for Patriot Guard use. From Patriot Sales I found on Amazon and Google. Bought a home flag pole 2". Also use cargo straps from each corner of the bed near the tailgate so it doesn't wobble at all while driving. Works great. I always try to avoid having to drill holes for anything if I can help it. Use one pole section and cut a second section in half so the flag pole isn't too tall. You can get single, double or even triple flag mounts.