Floor jack punctured frame (weak spot?)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pretty sure that’s the frame between where the cab and bed mount given the light above it and the noticeable hole in the frame side (blue arrows in picture). Definitely not rocker panel as the rocker has the seam. Most likely lifting the whole truck in one spot is just too much. The frame is not designed to have that much weight concentrated in one spot. Looks to be at the section of the frame in front of the rear lower control arm mount is. There’s a joint there where the 2 frame sections overlap. You are definitely putting too much weight in a spot not designed for it. If I’m doing anything to the rear tires I lift at the rear shock mount on the side I need to work on so the weight I’m lifting is that singular tire. If I’m doing a front tire I’ll jack from the front crossmember close to the lower control arm mounts. Also it appears you lifted off center of the frame rail so all the weight was sitting on one edge which made the situation worse.

Attachments

• IMG_4275.jpeg
    IMG_4275.jpeg
    97.8 KB · Views: 34

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My guess is the frame is thin on the bottom on the inside due to rust. That is typically how these frames rust out: from the inside out.

Given that looks like the spot between the bed and the cab, its where the frame bends up so salt/dirt collects there on the inside and rots it out. If you boroscoped the frame in that spot I bet you would its almost rotted through which is why the jack punctured it.

TomB 1269

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
To me it looks as if he is using a "trolley" jack and not a shop jack. What I see is 2 high pressure points from the jack vs the flat jack pad on a shop jack.

Its alomost as if he used a jack designed to work on pinch weld lift points like on a small sedan and the "fingers" are punching in the frame.

1695084032802.png

verses floor jack

1695084142076.png

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
To me it looks as if he is using a "trolley" jack and not a shop jack. What I see is 2 high pressure points from the jack vs the flat jack pad on a shop jack.

Its alomost as if he used a jack designed to work on pinch weld lift points like on a small sedan and the "fingers" are punching in the frame.

View attachment 528549

verses floor jack

View attachment 528551
That's what I'm seeing also...like 2 raised points piercing upwards

blackram446

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
He I 5.7
So I had a 2011 ram 1500 and one time I went to jack up the driver side rear to replace the brake pads and while jacking it up ( from the frame rail, forward the rear tire) the jack punctured the frame rail clean through. I chalked it up to a rusty/rotted frame section even though the rest of the frame was in good condition.

Fast forward 3 years later to today.

I now have a 2013 ram 1500 and went to Jack up the rear end to change the brake pads, put the Jack in the same spot, began to jack it up and heard a crunch sound! I lowered the back to find the exact same thing happen. It began to cave in the frame and punctured it a bit. This frame is in excellent condition with only surface rust here and there. I'm only lifting up the rear driver side tire how can this be enough weight to push a hole in the frame? Crazy!
That doesn’t look like the frame. From the picture I’d say it’s right under the doors which is definitely not strong enough to lift from.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Based on all the replies a little clarification on exactly what point is being jacked up...frame or body. I would guess it is the frame but hard to tell in those pics.

I would also like to see a picture of the jack. Almost looks the foot of the jack is a spike or small tube that could put a huge concentrated load on the frame.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat