Floor-Mounted Dimmer Switch?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hookie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I'm just wondering if anyone here has ever put a Floor-Mounted Dimmer Switch in their 4th Gen?

Dodge trucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Car makers should have never moved the dimmer switch off the floor.
They should still have wing windows too.
Which is partly why I am redoing an 85 dodge truck. I miss those features. . And a wiper switch on the dash. And a turn signal switch that does nothing but operate turn signals

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm with Dodge trucker on his thoughts. I had a 73 and an 85 Dodge 4x4's, and miss the old truck features. They were definitely "pick-up trucks". Grant it the newer trucks are nice, but I'm just old school.

Hanover Fiste

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 SLT, 2018 Sport
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I've replaced one or two floor-mounted dimmer switches in my youth, due to snow/salt/ice/mud/water damaging them. I'm glad they moved them off the floor.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
It's bad enough to hear the whining about not having a column shifter, those days are gone. Besides people can't figure out where the turn signals are now, at least with the dimmer switch on the stalk their hand uses it for something. Even if was on the floor there would be this response..
Screenshot_20220129-092306-164.png

Phillyrube

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's bad enough to hear the whining about not having a column shifter, those days are gone. Besides people can't figure out where the turn signals are now, at least with the dimmer switch on the stalk their hand uses it for something. Even if was on the floor there would be this response..
View attachment 484128

HA!! I had a call one night for a woman who drove past the HIGH WATER signs and stalled her car. She then called that she was trapped and could not get the door open. I told her to flip the little lever next to the door lever. Duh!!!

miles01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I installed a floor mounted dimer switch for my light bar.
Works great

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I've replaced one or two floor-mounted dimmer switches in my youth, due to snow/salt/ice/mud/water damaging them. I'm glad they moved them off the floor.
More stalk dimmer switches are replaced yearly then there was probably floor mounted dimmer switches in 10 years.Plus the fact floor dimmer switches were universal,every vehicle was the same,not so much with stalk dimmer switches.Throw in the fact you could easily hotwire/bypass a floor dimmer,and they were simplistic to replace,2 screws,unplug then plug a new one in,all of a 2 minute job to replace,you aren't changing a stalk mounted dimmer switch as easily,or anywhere near as cheap.You guys against floor dimmer switches,probably never grew up with them and their simple operation,lol

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's much easier to use the floor one vs. the stalk - I have used both as a disclaimer.
My hands never seem to be in the right spot for the stalk, so it's always an extra movement - esp. on bends.
Floor, you just move your toes (usually) to the left, hit it and done. This is especially true since the days of the clutch pedal are almost completely over. But for those that do have a manual, it gets a bit busy, steering through the turns, shifting gears and reaching for the stalk.