Flowmaster 50 series HD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mhb1638

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm considering upgrading my muffler/exhaust as well.

Can anyone tell me what the advantage is of the Flowmaster + resonator over the Magnaflow.

Does the Magnaflow suffer from the same drone?

I don't see any reason to install a chambered muffler + reso (aka packed muffler) just to kill drone and get FM sound. FM has drone, its well documented. They sound amazing on V8s, not 4 cylinders. This is why FM is offering this secondary part, a packed muffler (bullet). Not seeing any reason, seriously, to buy 2 products just for sound quality.

ryss003

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The drone is very livable. I used to have an aero exhaust 3030xl and its got the built in rezo. It was a straight through design. It droned worse than the 50hd. As soon as i had it changed i was very happy i did.. Its not also overly loud inside as the other. Ill try to get an actual vid of an incab while driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R

rczerwin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did my homework back when I considered buying the FM 50 series HD & believed the 2 OEM res's after the muffler would take care any kind of drone. This ultimately was not the case & with the type of hearing problems that I have the drone was not livable at all. Putting the FM res on was the least expensive solution for me.

Also the FM res Part #: 15147S contains no packing materials.

ryss003

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I will be going that route as well.. :) i ordered one for my truck!! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eric_sfo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't see any reason to install a chambered muffler + reso (aka packed muffler) just to kill drone and get FM sound. FM has drone, its well documented. They sound amazing on V8s, not 4 cylinders. This is why FM is offering this secondary part, a packed muffler (bullet). Not seeing any reason, seriously, to buy 2 products just for sound quality.
Old post but I have been considering the same hd50. Now I’m reconsidering if I have to buy two parts to rid the drone. Find it interesting that flowmasters solution to the drone was you spend more money on another product of theirs. My 2009 doesn’t have the MDS so mine doesn’t drop the 4 cylinder so maybe I wouldn’t have the drone issue. I had mustang in the past that had a drone issue and I learned to hate it so I don’t want it again.

Again old post but applicable to what I am considering. Also looking for long tube headers down the road so looking for performance vs sound anyway. More research to do.

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Old post but I have been considering the same hd50. Now I’m reconsidering if I have to buy two parts to rid the drone. Find it interesting that flowmasters solution to the drone was you spend more money on another product of theirs. My 2009 doesn’t have the MDS so mine doesn’t drop the 4 cylinder so maybe I wouldn’t have the drone issue. I had mustang in the past that had a drone issue and I learned to hate it so I don’t want it again.

Again old post but applicable to what I am considering. Also looking for long tube headers down the road so looking for performance vs sound anyway. More research to do.
if you are looking at long tubes don't go with the flowmaster as it will kill the gains of the LT. i had the 50hd with my LT and it killed a bunch of power up top

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

eric_sfo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
if you are looking at long tubes don't go with the flowmaster as it will kill the gains of the LT. i had the 50hd with my LT and it killed a bunch of power up top

Thanks. So if long tubes are the end game what muffler setup would you suggest? In case I decide to do it backwards and change the muffler first then the add LT later.

gdawg55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the 50HD on my truck and I don't get any drone unless I use my Moe's 5" tips. With the stock tips, no drone....not sure why. Anyway, if you're looking to do long tube headers down the road, you'll want to most likely look into straight thru style mufflers....Borla, Magnaflow, Carven, etc. Go with the size muffler that will be too quiet now, because new headers will make it much louder...unless you like loud.

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
like mentioned anything that's a straight through design will work. just choose the size and length to get to a level you are confortable with

I have the 5x11 22" Magnaflow (LT with HF cats) and the level is similar to the 50HD, but a very different tone.