Fog lights on a Tradesman

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djcwardog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Round fog lights 68353533AA 2 required, Bezels 68449341AA comes with right/left, Brackets Right/left 68449383AA, I'm still looking for wiring harness part #

I’ve contacted Benny and ordered what we believe to be the necessary harness. Mopar #68377331AD for their price of $38.18. Shipping is extra of course. My initial searches under the front of the truck revealed nothing wrapped up near the left front wheel well awaiting this harness. I did install all the hardware though, so now it’s just the electrical connections and coding to do.

UPDATE 3-17-2020: My truck definitely had no harness from the BCM out to the left-front area and, of course, no harness behind the bumper for the fog lights. Another way to check is to remove the C1 and C4 plugs from your BCM and look for those power wires. If they are present, meaning filling those holes, then you must have a harness out there somewhere waiting for you. Mine had no wires coming out so I knew that I hadn’t missed something up front.

If somebody found the harness could they post a photo and describe how and where to find it? I looked all around once I had the stock bumper covers removed and gave things a good look before I installed the fog lights. Wouldn’t be the first time that I missed something right there though! If there is nothing there to connect to, then perhaps we could determine the pin outs for running our own wires to the necessary connectors and finishing up that way. I do not have the parking sensors so that may make it more likely that I have no factory harness either...?

Next things To retrofit - perhaps an autodim rear view mirror, audio controls for the back of my steering wheel and the 7” color cluster?

E2BE381C-4C98-47BF-A6DB-E68407949A5B.jpeg

4E079725-B44E-438C-8E5F-D0D1E2F95C09.jpeg

Last edited:

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I’ve contacted Benny and ordered what we believe to be the necessary harness. Mopar #68377331AD for their price of $38.18. Shipping is extra of course. My initial searches under the front of the truck revealed nothing wrapped up near the left front wheel well awaiting this harness. I did install all the hardware though, so now it’s just the electrical connections and coding to do. If somebody found the harness could they post a photo and describe how and where to find it? I looked all around once I had the stock bumper covers removed and gave things a good look before I installed the fog lights. Wouldn’t be the first time that I missed something right there though! If there is nothing there to connect to, then perhaps we could determine the pin outs for running our own wires to the necessary connectors and finishing up that way. I do not have the parking sensors so that may make it more likely that I have no factory harness either...?

Next things To retrofit - perhaps an autodim rear view mirror, audio controls for the back of my steering wheel and the 7” color cluster?

View attachment 193631

View attachment 193632
If that connector is not there, then you’ll have to run your own wires for the right and left fog lamp signals straight to the BCM, and pin them into the right spots on the connectors. The two fog light ground wires just get grounded to metal. The BCM is up behind the dash above the brake pedal. Here’s the layout for it looking at it mounted to the firewall- QotiFuC.jpg

These are the two connectors that have the fog lamp circuits- fKCR4Zp.jpg T3dockU.jpg

Wadejesu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I didn't do any of that, I bought a harness from superbright LEDs and fog light connectors, ran straight to battery and a separate switch on dash, The hell with dealer coding

djcwardog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I plan to code this myself without dealer involvement. That said, if I want to use the harness I already paid for and I don’t find the “Dash Left Harness” waiting to receive this, the “Front Fascia Harness”, then I would need to find the 16-pin connector shown as part # 807-446-501 in this thread. However, I am not finding any hits in searches using that number. Is there a cross-referenced trade number I can use to get one of these from Tyco or similar? I have plenty of pins and wire on hand. If you ground the fog lights to the frame, then it’s just two wires that get the signal from the BCM. Connector C1 at the BCM sends the left fog light + signal out on pin #1 and that wire gets inserted into the “Dash_Left” connector at pin #16. (Or skip that and run the wire all the way to the left bulb hot wire in the H11 connector) Connector C4 sends the right fog light + signal out on pin #13 and that wire gets inserted into the “Dash_Left” connector at pin #8. (Or send it to the right fog light bulb like above).

The () above would be if I skip using the the new harness I just bought. Why? Perhaps if I end up finding nothing under the left fender. Of course, you still ground both negative wires for both lights.

Could it really be this easy? Just run two wires from the front of the truck back through the firewall and to the BCM? No relays at all, the BCM does all that for us? Of course, once I swap in the factory headlight switch with central buttons for both the bed light and then fog lights, if it does not work I will need to code the truck using the gear mentioned earlier in the thread. Here’s the info crammed onto one page instead of 5. I printed it both ways.

5318DC78-06DB-451E-8DFF-7FF49FD2E306.jpeg

Last edited:

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yeah. You’re not gonna find that hirschmann connector anywhere. Best to return the jumper harness and get your own connectors and make it yourself.

djcwardog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yeah, or maybe just snip the 16-pin connector off that harness and connect the 2 wires I need onto a Deutsch 2 pin or similar that I have on hand. Then send the rest back to the BCM so it at least appears factory if you look under the bumper.

And the thought just came to me that we can see if the factory sent wires out to the left front fender area to “XY100A” by pulling out each of C1 and C4 from the BCM and looking for those 2 wires that should be present (C4:13 and C1:1).

Last edited:

djcwardog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I just got my OEM harness, part #68377331AD, from AllMoparParts. Note that the fog light-only harness has just 4 wires and pins. The others are sealed off from weather - a great idea! You can see right off that pins 8 and 16 contain the colored (hot) wires that power each of the two fog lights. Interesting that they run ther bulb grounds all the way back instead of a chassis ground up front.

CE7A1A6B-7028-427C-B454-815BFDDDB9AB.jpeg

FF4FA012-4F2A-42DE-813C-3B1FA7F28FA7.jpeg
Pin #1 (empty) would be the bottom right in this view. Working right to left: Pins 2 and 5 carry ground and Pin 8 carries a signal. Right above it, Pin 16 carries the other signal (hot to bulb).

F2934698-8118-4672-AC83-9494D4975501.jpeg

Last edited:

djcwardog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
UPDATE - I got the harness installed but did not find a “Dash Left Harness” and the XY100A mating 12-pin harness waiting for it. Looks like I will have to run a pair of wires through the firewall as described above.

Last edited:

djcwardog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Got the fog lights coded. Now to finish wiring them into the body control module.

6FCEA4FE-A64F-4D49-A5ED-007117E063EF.jpeg

8147C54E-EBF9-4581-A60A-B1DCDD3E80DB.jpeg

djcwardog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Before I forget, here’s the part # info I learned doing this, for my truck as looked up by VIN at my friendly dealer’s parts counter. Chris Doyle at Swope Auto Center in Elizabethtown, KY will certainly help you as well if you are in the area. Be sure you check these part #’s for yourself just in case my memory or notes have failed me.

Switch: Headlamp is p/n 68156061AD retails for $39.95. You need this because it has both the bed light button and the fog light button embedded in the center of it. The original switch in my truck has the entire center of one button only for the bed light - which is the center light up high on the cab as part of the CHMSL. My truck doesn’t have the optional “cargo lights” which are back on the sides of the bed by the tailgate.

Bracket: Fog Lamp is p/n 68449383AA retails for $26.85 each. You order a quantity of 1 on this part because a single package has a pair of brackets in it, left and right. This attached to the metal behind the bumper and will accept the four fasteners that hold your actual fog light housings, which are...
Lamp: Front Fog p/n 68353533AA retail for $131 each.

For the trim bezels be careful. My truck does not have the parking sensors in the bumper to so my trim bezel was “Bezel: Fog Lamp” p/n 68449341AA retail for $16.10. This, too, is a quantity of one because the bag comes with a pair of bezels in it, left and right.

If your truck has the sensors then your bezel needs small holes in it to accept them and your bezel is p/n 68449343AA. When we first placed the special order for this stuff we also ordered p/n L0000H11 for the bulbs at $30.75 for a carton of two. Of course, when we looked at them, they were just standard H11 bulbs - and the fog lights came with bulbs in them anyway. So we did a return at the counter before I left.

Finally, you need fasteners for securing the fog light bracket and also the fog lights into that bracket. I didn’t order or get those so I used hardware I had. Now that know that these parts don’t come with that hardware, I’d want to order it too, but I am not going to open things back up just to have it now! Also, those trim bezels require small hands and a 7mm socket wrench to just loosen up some t-clamp fasteners along their perimeter - from the inside reaching up. You can’t see some of the locations and I think there were 5 or 6 of these per side. So, I loosened up what I could find and then ripped them out. Trash anyway and I could reuse the existing hardware to (more carefully) install the new bezels.

Last edited:

RedneckHippy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 3500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4 Hemi w/ MDS
Per chance do you know the part number for the factory led fogs, brackets and bezels w/o sensors? The website doesn’t differentiate anything and the part guys aren’t giving me much help. I plan to wire them straight to my aux switch so I can keep them running with brights on. Thanks

djcwardog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
If that connector is not there, then you’ll have to run your own wires for the right and left fog lamp signals straight to the BCM, and pin them into the right spots on the connectors. The two fog light ground wires just get grounded to metal. The BCM is up behind the dash above the brake pedal. Here’s the layout for it looking at it mounted to the firewall- QotiFuC.jpg

These are the two connectors that have the fog lamp circuits- fKCR4Zp.jpg T3dockU.jpg
Ok, I’ve run the wiring from the BCM through the firewall and up to the fog light harness I installed already. After trying several of the connectors I have on hand, none will slide all the way into the BCM connectors C1 and C4. Those are shown as 0.75 gauge/size on the diagrams above. A tip, it is a bit easier to unplug C1 and C4 if you first take out the knee panel under the steering wheel. Once C1 and C4 are out, you slide a thin jewelers screwdriver alongside a spot to lift a small tab and then withdraw the actual wire connector from inside the piece that clamps it down into the BCM.

Is there a Mopar or aftermarket part # to get some of these? Basically the metal clips that you crimp onto your stripped wire and then slide/snap into the open spots as per above.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Ok, I’ve run the wiring from the BCM through the firewall and up to the fog light harness I installed already. After trying several of the connectors I have on hand, none will slide all the way into the BCM connectors C1 and C4. Those are shown as 0.75 gauge/size on the diagrams above. A tip, it is a bit easier to unplug C1 and C4 if you first take out the knee panel under the steering wheel. Once C1 and C4 are out, you slide a thin jewelers screwdriver alongside a spot to lift a small tab and then withdraw the actual wire connector from inside the piece that clamps it down into the BCM.

Is there a Mopar or aftermarket part # to get some of these? Basically the metal clips that you crimp onto your stripped wire and then slide/snap into the open spots as per above.
Here’s the terminals for the fog lamp circuits in the BCM connectors- https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetai...8oGXoX7vSDezsCEh/TeFPHxy2z8Kh8Nv44XLlKWlO4Q==

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No I never got a part number from them. If I end up getting them I'll post the part number.
Dealer quoted you that much for just parts, or parts and install?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

Just to help people visualize what you had to do, since I just got done swapping in a BCM for a project I’m doing, here’s the C1 connector, and how to take it apart to add or remove wires. You’ll pry up here, and slide the wires and terminal block out of the latching hood shell- mfmzOOM.jpg QbC6LHq.jpg Tb7lOhS.jpg

Then, you just insert a wire with terminal in the appropriate position, or to remove a wire, you depress the tab shown, and pull the wire straight out- UjHm4KR.jpg

djcwardog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
And here is a photo that shows the 0.75 connectors used for the 6 big wires, to the right in your last photo. One of these in each of C1 and C4 is open, awaiting a wire with the part below crimped on.

ECAD9058-E549-461A-A261-ED8CE7720BEE.jpeg

djcwardog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Mission Accomplished.

Following the posts above, I crimped these connectors on my wires. Then, working one at a time, I withdrew the C1 and C4 from the BCM, carefully unclipped and slid the connector covers off, and inserted one wire into each exposed opening. Works like a charm. Fog lights are on/off with the button and they can work with both the low beams or just the parking lights. Nice to have the OEM retrofit. Now maybe I will swap in a pair of the Bright Earth bulbs - same part # as the low beams.

D67F8E5C-E042-49CC-A0B7-AD02A2F4CF55.jpeg

032C8ECE-D270-47F9-9D07-72790A691867.jpeg

1BA15743-2FD5-4C18-BB4D-1E686D94892D.jpeg

D9DBA98B-1933-4EC1-AF2D-13C8C30C621D.jpeg

TDRamOH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Thanks to everyone for all the info on this. This is one option I really wanted and my truck did not have it. Some questions:

- How difficult was it to swap out the light switch?
- How may wires did you run from the BCM to the fog light harness? 2 for hot, 2 for ground? Or used chassis ground?
- Is the part number for the harness between the fog lights that is listed earlier in the thread the correct one for no sensors?
- Does anyone have the part number for the screws, or can the screws for the banks be reused?
- Any idea what a dealer would charge to add the sales code, and would they consider me installing the parts enough for voiding any part of the warranty?

I just want to get everything straight for what I need before I purchase parts. I installed the factory bed step, and fog lights would make my Tradesman complete.

Thanks again!

djcwardog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Some questions:
- How difficult was it to swap out the light switch?
Easy - it pulls out from the front if you use a plastic pry tool.
- How may wires did you run from the BCM to the fog light harness? 2 for hot, 2 for ground? Or used chassis ground? 2 wires: one from C1 and the other from C4. Run these through a rubber grommet in the firewall and on to the left front area.
- Is the part number for the harness between the fog lights that is listed earlier in the thread the correct one for no sensors? That was what my truck had - no sensors. Cut the 12-wire plug on that new harness. Pay attention to the left and right power feeds to the lights - these are white with a color stripe. I soldered in a two-wire harness for the wires from the BCM. Take the two black wires and they go to ground at a location on the frame over the left front wheel.

I had a few answers for you.

Last edited: