Fog lights on a Tradesman

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Farm truck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Just use 1/2" single leg electrical conduit straps with existing fasteners along the top of the lower grill. I used 3/8 wire loom to protect the wiring.
Mine looks factory.

SOKY_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello all!

I’m about to install the hardware on my ‘21 3500 in the morning. I have the 68377331AD 16-pin harness, I read through all the pages and couldn’t find the routing of the harness. Does it go along the top of the bumper, or down by the tow hooks, etc. I see it has many “Christmas Tree” push pin retainers installed on it already. I know it’s not rocket science but the less time I spend on the hardware the more I can spend on wiring.

Thanks!

I just did mine and ran the wiring along the bottom of the bumper just above the valance. Holes seemed to line up with the plastic barbs on the harness pretty well.

Rory Kulmala

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Whelp, I finally installed some Spyder OEM style halogen fog lights (got them for a good price) and made my own wire harness for it with some custom pig tails so I could connect to the BCM (again, thanks again the Mpgrimm2 for connecting me with a guy in Canada who made me some pigtails). Installed a new factory switch with the fog light button and got it wired to the BCM. I couldn't have done it without this forum and the info posted by Mpgrimm2. It took me about 3hrs to do...most of it was making and doing the wiring. I ordered the security bypass cable, OBDLinkMX+ and uploaded my phone with the ALFA OBD app. Followed the instructions to a T and all worked out perfectly.

eljefe

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Everything installed and working. Something weird though, when headlights are on but fog lights are off…when I make a left hand turn (with or without blinker) the right fog light turns on, right hand turn the left fog light turns on. This happen to anyone else? Thanks

sjhdu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Everything installed and working. Something weird though, when headlights are on but fog lights are off…when I make a left hand turn (with or without blinker) the right fog light turns on, right hand turn the left fog light turns on. This happen to anyone else? Thanks
It should light up on the side that you are turning to. I didn't have fogs from the factory and that's what they do after I installed them. I find it useful doing tight turns in the dark.

precycled

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
In case anyone else tries to add a wire to C1 and C4, the Mouser terminals linked earlier in the thread worked great.

A few tips...

Do C1 first, and unplug the two square plugs to the right of it. Then there is a push pin you can pull out. This lets you pull the connector down to work on it a little easier.

Tuck them away when you start C4. You gotta do C4 completely one handed. I tried having my wife put her small hand and arm through the heatlight switch opening, but she could barely reach it and could only hold it in a position that made it impossible to stab the wire in.

After you get the cover off of C4 with a small screwdriver, stick the connector back into the BCM. Just be careful and don't bend any pins. This trick holds the connector while you jab the wire into it. Then pull the connector out, slide the cover back on with one hand.

Those covers have two sets of slides so it'll let you put it in wrong, but it won't fully seat. If it doesn't seat in easily, pull it back off and make sure you have it in the right slides. It should snap back into place very easy.

Having someone hold a light through the headlight switch opening helped a lot.

Don't use the Dorman H11 connectors for the fog lights. They are brittle as all get out and break easily. I am going to have to remove them and put on some better ones I ordered from Amazon this morning. Here are the ones I ordered, they look a lot better:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076HDGCGZ/

Here's the harness I made along with some pictures of how I ran the wires.

View attachment 224373

I used three wires. Green was the right fog light, brown is front left, black is ground. Only the green and brown go into the cabin.

View attachment 224374
Ground terminal I made

View attachment 224375

Put the ground up here by the fuse box:

View attachment 224377

Ran it into the cabin through this grommet. This picture was before I loaded it full of silicone to keep water out.

View attachment 224378

I didn't get any pictures of the inside because it was dark and I was too pissed off, LOL.
I like this wiring option, but I was thinking of cutting off the factory 20 pin that I got off a 2019 Ram 1500 and replacing it with a 3 pin instead of running the wires directly from the fogs to the BCM. That way there would be a way to unplug the jumper from the BCM if the jumper needed to be upgraded, replaced, or removed later down the road. The 3 pin would have the left and right hots and the ground, and the ground would exit the harness near the battery like in the photos above. Should I use 18 gauge wire from the 3 pin to the BCM?

twylie97

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Does anyone know if the 2018 Tradesman is pre-wired for fog lights?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Previous link fixed. Thanks

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online