For anyone interested in disabling MDS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gdawg55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you purchase one of those gadgets? Interesting.

Thanks for sharing.

markusaf81

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
FINALLY, lol.

Id love to have a Pulsar but they don't offer it for the 2014.

I had one of these on my Sierra and it was great since I didn't want a tuner.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
FWIW Ive read about issues with how the Pulsar "disables" MDS. Something about how it just revs the engine up to give it enough load to keep MDS off just by how the system normally works.

Not sure if the Range Tech device does something similar or not.

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Sounds like a great idea, but a bit of a nuisance to use though. You can't just start the truck normally.

"To start, just deliberately turn the key on one “notch” at a time with a small (1 sec) delay between positions to allow the unit time to interface with the ECU."

-K

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thats actually how I start my truck anyway, but the fact it can interface with the ECU and disable MDS makes me wonder if its possible for other devices (say, AlfaOBD) to do the same thing.

There are a few "ECO Mode" settings in the app, but they dont seem to do what I had hoped. Not sure if I missed something or not but I will keep looking.

OP
OP
ilovemyramlaremie

ilovemyramlaremie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Did you purchase one of those gadgets? Interesting.

Thanks for sharing.
Not yet,but will soon! Hate the MDS when it activate, beer settings the gear manually to avoid the annoying MDS horrible sounds and vibrations.

markusaf81

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like a great idea, but a bit of a nuisance to use though. You can't just start the truck normally.

"To start, just deliberately turn the key on one “notch” at a time with a small (1 sec) delay between positions to allow the unit time to interface with the ECU."

-K
I was wondering if that was just for the first time or every time? I never had to do that on my Sierra. Since this is the test phase, I wonder if that's something that will get fixed.

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I was wondering if that was just for the first time or every time? I never had to do that on my Sierra. Since this is the test phase, I wonder if that's something that will get fixed.

If it's just the first time then it wouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately you have to register with their site to see the full instructions.

-K

Reactions: JB1

markusaf81

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If it's just the first time then it wouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately you have to register with their site to see the full instructions.

-K
yeah, I just tried myself, lol

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I foudn this in thier FAQs (no logon needed) under the section about moving it from vehicle to vehicle.

"It is recommended that you be extra careful about the starting sequence on the first key ON/START after plugging in the MDS Manager, due it needing to scan the vehicle to get itself set up."

I also found a list of vehicles it works with in the same FAQs and it only lists the 2009-2011 RAMs.

And, just found a way to the instructions that does not involve registering: https://rangetechnology.zendesk.com...986-How-do-I-install-and-use-the-MDS-Manager-

-K

Last edited:

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
$200 seems kinda steep just so I don't have to hit that minus sign once to get in manual mode. No MDS once you're in manual. Leave it in 6 if you want mothing else to do.

CoHam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
FWIW Ive read about issues with how the Pulsar "disables" MDS. Something about how it just revs the engine up to give it enough load to keep MDS off just by how the system normally works.

Not sure if the Range Tech device does something similar or not.

Chrisbn17, the Pulsar does not rev up the engine to turn off MDS. I’ve had one installed for weeks now. In fact you wouldn’t know that it’s there except for how much better your truck runs and responds. Everything I own with the potential to go-faster, run mo-betta, and put a smile on my face gets a tuner. This has included my Mustang, Harleys, and the latest is my Ram. I had a Diablo Sport in the Stang (sold the car), a ThunderMax in my current Harley (different modules in prior Harleys), and now the Pulsar in the Ram. The Pulsar has been the easiest to install by far. The tunes are “pre-canned”, so you don’t mess around with any settings. Each of the four selectable tunes have two options, one with MDS enabled and one with MDS disabled. Selecting the mode is done with the buttons on my steering wheel and the mode selection shows up on my instrument cluster, it could’t be easier or seem more like an OEM feature. The “Performace” setting has so much enhanced throttle response that I need to keep a very light foot from a standing stop. The other feature I liked is the ability to set my tire diameter so the speedo is correct after I installed larger tires.
After it’s installed there is nothing you do any different than before you had it. Truck starts the same and runs great, just be a little more aware of how much you lean on the gas pedal when in performance mode. I didn’t expect to be this impressed with a piggy-back module and pre-canned tunes, but I love this thing.

local

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
HP Tuners, disable MDS in once click plus do just about anything else you want.

RoHo57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi folks, im new to the Ram family as well as to the MDS. I understand the want to drop the MDS to achieve full-time full power, but how much, if at all, does that affect mileage? Does it affect warranty? What might be the long term effect?

RoHo