Found a leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Its not a universal problems, just one of the more common ones.

When I upgraded my 3rd brake light with LED bulbs, I put a a bead of RTV Black on top of the factory seal, as I had some on hand. I then had to take the thing off when the cheapo eBay LEDs failed a month or two later, and the seal seemed to have worked well.

BigDogg795

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I too have this annoying leak on my 2014 2500. I tried the same weather stripping from Home Depot and I am still leaking. I do not have a sunroof so I would think it is the brake light. I now have duct tape around the light to see if the leak goes away before I continue. Very disappointed that Dodge would allow this quality to leave their dealer.

It's not just Dodge...I had the same issue on my Silverado but not my S10; and I have friends who have had the issue on their Fords. I ended up preemptively fixing it on my first Ram by changing the bulb to an LED and running a small bead of silicon around the edge.

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
I too have this annoying leak on my 2014 2500. I tried the same weather stripping from Home Depot and I am still leaking. I do not have a sunroof so I would think it is the brake light. I now have duct tape around the light to see if the leak goes away before I continue. Very disappointed that Dodge would allow this quality to leave their dealer.

it's not just a Dodge problem. We had a new Chevrolet truck at work with same issue. I've heard some Furds have same problem.
For the people that a new gasket doesn't fix it, could the water be wicking down the theads of the fastener screws? maybe try a little sealant on the screw threads.

Last edited:

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine

Take the light off and get some silicon on it. Fines been fine for over 3 years. No leaks.

VB712

Maxi_built
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My s10, my 2012 2500 and my current 2014 1500 all did it. Sealed all of them with black RTV. No more leaks. Kind of a pain to change the bulbs when it's time but nothing impossible and better than wet, moldy interior.

jag1886

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Demi 5.7 S&B CAI, flowmaster merge collector, Gibson cat back, oil catch can, 87
I just sealed my 2014 with 3M strip caulk 08578 and it worked perfect. Don't use sealers like silicone as you will not be able to get the light back off in the future without wrecking your paint or the light.

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
I had leaks in the rear on my 2011. Sealed the 3rd brake light but the other place to put a dab of sealant is where the roof drain runners meet the rear window seal. My rear corners were stained here.

Sealed it all up and cleaned the headliner with some carpet cleaner and microfiber cloth. No more leaks or stains.