Fox vs King vs ICON front coilovers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T JAZ

T JAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L V8
Thanks everyone for the input. I really would just want something I can bolt on. And quickly as I’m down a vehicle with no front suspension working at the moment.

@ram1500rsm yes I’d want to do the full 2.5” in the front and back as well.

Guess I should have mentioned earlier but the exact shocks I was looking at were model number 883-02-073 which are the non adjustable kinds. What model number would be the matching rears to these for a 6” lift? Or are all lifted rears custom ordered?

@wisey113
I’ll be honest I don’t know much and as mentioned before I just need something ASAP that will work with my truck. I would have ordered icon but it seems they must be custom ordered for a lift and I have no way of going about properly measuring unless anyone here has the exact measurements I need to give them. I just got through moving and I’m in a foreign place and don’t even know who I’ll get to install them yet. (I’m in Santa Fe NM).

Thanks everyone for the responses.

Moparfanatic21

U.S. Marine Vet - 0321, Now a Doctor...of Vehicles
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Look we all want to go higher after a lift. Just take your body and put it on a monster truck frame :D unfortunately I haven't built a lift kit for a 1500 since 01 most of my customers just want a kit. I will say this comparing RC to BDS they are mostly the same and imo BDS is overpriced. The only think that sucks with RC is the ****** shocks (at least for the Rams they suck Chevy guys love them). I think they are too small

OP
OP
T JAZ

T JAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L V8
I am running procomp 6” though. In case that makes a difference.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks everyone for the input. I really would just want something I can bolt on. And quickly as I’m down a vehicle with no front suspension working at the moment.

@ram1500rsm yes I’d want to do the full 2.5” in the front and back as well.

Guess I should have mentioned earlier but the exact shocks I was looking at were model number 883-02-073 which are the non adjustable kinds. What model number would be the matching rears to these for a 6” lift? Or are all lifted rears custom ordered?

@wisey113
I’ll be honest I don’t know much and as mentioned before I just need something ASAP that will work with my truck. I would have ordered icon but it seems they must be custom ordered for a lift and I have no way of going about properly measuring unless anyone here has the exact measurements I need to give them. I just got through moving and I’m in a foreign place and don’t even know who I’ll get to install them yet. (I’m in Santa Fe NM).

Thanks everyone for the responses.

Fox 883-02-073 are 2.5 body adjustable coilovers Fox makes for BDS and they come preset for 6" as found by one of the forum members who has recently ordered them for his Zone 6" lift.
This was BDS release
http://bds-suspension.com/blog/?p=4260

BDS doesn't have an option for 2.5 body shocks rears, their only option is Fox 2.0's witout a reservoir which is the part number JB1 listed for you above. You can contact Fox with the specs i provided to you (30.05" extended, 18.45" compressed which is basically the specs Fox have on the 2.0 version they make for BDS 5-6" rear lift) and they can build a couple of longer rear shocks in 2.5 body with RES so you can match your front struts. Fox could even add DSC to the front/rear so you can fine tune your ride feel too. Call them to have the chat.

Have fun.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T JAZ

T JAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L V8
I think you got the numbers backwards. According to the website, 883-02-073 are the non adjustable where as 883-06-073 are the adjustable ones. But yeah I get what you mean.

So will the 883-02-073 be bolt on ready for my setup even though I don’t have bds? I keep seeing bds being brought up.

As for rears, is it model number 883-24-029 I would need to order but just modified (lengthened) to fit under a 6” lift?

Thanks!

OP
OP
T JAZ

T JAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L V8
Also in regards to lifts, Is it the actual shock that provides the lift? I know my procomp lift has a bunch of braces and stuff but is it possible to go down and say use the icon coil overs which are rated for 0-3”? Vs going with the Fox ones that are 4-6”? Only reason I ask is because icon vs Fox price is sitting at about 400$.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
I think you got the numbers backwards. According to the website, 883-02-073 are the non adjustable where as 883-06-073 are the adjustable ones. But yeah I get what you mean.

So will the 883-02-073 be bolt on ready for my setup even though I don’t have bds? I keep seeing bds being brought up.

As for rears, is it model number 883-24-029 I would need to order but just modified (lengthened) to fit under a 6” lift?

Thanks!

Fox owns BDS. Fox originally made the coil over for the higher end BDS lift, and to my knowledge fox did not list it as a sku on their website until recently. Before they could only really be purchased through BDS. That is why BDS is associated with the Fox 2.5 coil over. (Make sense?)
Kind of like your procomp coil overs. The coilovers you have now are proprietary to your kit, not really offered anywhere like summit racing or carid. You really have to dig to get part numbers and track them down to purchase them with out the kit.

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Also in regards to lifts, Is it the actual shock that provides the lift? I know my procomp lift has a bunch of braces and stuff but is it possible to go down and say use the icon coil overs which are rated for 0-3”? Vs going with the Fox ones that are 4-6”? Only reason I ask is because icon vs Fox price is sitting at about 400$.

I would not suggest trying that. The spindles you have on your truck now are procomp and are larger than the oem ones. The geometry will be very out of whack if you could even get it to bolt up. So to answer your question the shock does and does not provide the lift. They are not the only factors in play

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
@T JAZ I just ordered the Fox 2.5 for my 6" lift and was told 6-8 weeks, I read above that you are looking for something ASAP so good luck to you, hopefully you get lucky and can find them in stock somewhere. I know your in a new place and don't know local shops but BDS has a find installer tool on their website that may help calling and asking. I have found phone calls to be a lot more productive when tracking down products. Again good luck I'm rooting for ya

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Thanks!

Adjustable in this case doens't mean adjustable up/down in height, adjustable in this case case means the 883-060-73 have DSC so you can adjust compression valving with a knob , where as the 02-73 doesn't. :), both part numbers are for Coilovers, coilovers are adjustable via an adjusting collar that your turn up/down to adjust your coil assembly.
upload_2019-3-19_12-34-59.png

883-24-029 is the part number for ther 2.5 body rear shock for the RAM 1500 for 0-2" lift.
If you have 5" springs you want larger ones, so you can tell them you need a 2.5 body shock similar to what they did with Fox 883-24-029, but with 30" extension and whatever they deem they can compress the most with 2.5 body shafts. they specd out 30" extended and 18" compressed for the 2.0 they make for BDS part# 98224759, , so they should be ble to make something similar to that but in 2.5 body with res and DSC if you wanted that option.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nobody will add top spacers to a shorter CO because it'll basically defeat the purposes of having an adjustable assembly asides from the fact that you don't pay CO money to ruin their performance and operation with a top spacer :)

it's the spring and how much/less preload you add in the spring, combined with the entire strut assembly lenght that provides the lift, Think about a 5100 in concept, but instead of invidual clips, you have threads and a adjusting collar to move up/down and that add prelod to the coil, then you have a shaft that will be longer in the 4-6" case compared to what you get for the 0-3" CO's same as a shorter or longer shock, the body is longer if you need more height in the coilover case the spring is also longer to and can have different spring rates, typically between 500lbs and 700-750lbs to support more weight/height etc.

OP
OP
T JAZ

T JAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L V8
@Quick_Shifter Ah gotcha. I contacted a few sellers through eBay and other websites and a few have them in hand ready to go.

@ram1500rsm I see. Makes much more sense now too. I called them today and apparently they are working on a lifted version for the rears too. But like you mentioned I could always just custom order and give them the numbers. Thanks!

OP
OP
T JAZ

T JAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L V8
Would brake masters be reliable to install these coil overs? I had a nice shop I’ve had all my work done but now that I moved I’m kind of stranded.

OP
OP
T JAZ

T JAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L V8
Oh if he is going all out, might as well ditch those rear 4.5” blocks and install the 5” BDS coils. I would ditch the weak oem rear control arms and panhard bar for the Core4x4 setup too. While your at it get the Hellwig sway bar and Core4x4 endlinks as well. I like spending other people’s money lol
@JB1 you had mentioned a few things earlier that I have quoted above but those things went over my head. I don’t mind going all out. So if my current setup has a spacer/block, what specific item and where do I order it to get those 5” coils?

I searched up core4x4 and looks like I’ll eventually replace those arms all around.

would those 5” coils be compatible with the RES 2.5” rear shocks I was looking at?

Lastly, it appears that hellwig sway bar only works for 2”-4” lift. So probably wouldn’t work for me.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T JAZ

T JAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L V8
Awesome thanks! I also found a shop somewhat close to me that’s installing those front coilovers for 1800$ And they are a BDS dealer. I’m just confused now with what to do with the rear haha.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Awesome thanks! I also found a shop somewhat close to me that’s installing those front coilovers for 1800$ And they are a BDS dealer. I’m just confused now with what to do with the rear haha.

Procomp also makes a coilover for your truck you might consider.

Since your talking to a BDS shop tell them you want a quote on the 5” rear coil kit to replace your rear procomp 4.5” blocks. The sway bar kit you looked up includes end links, you only need the bar itself and you’ll reuse your procomp endlinks.
  1. Hellwig Rear Sway Bar P/N 7709
  2. BDS rear 5” coil kit P/N 022509
  3. Core4x4 use code “hot damn” for 5% off
Here’s your rear block spacer under your stock coils

734D7E9B-C8B2-4F17-9BAF-C1E4A8A455AA.jpeg

OP
OP
T JAZ

T JAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L V8
Thanks again @JB1 I’ll take a look today.

I wouldn’t mind going procomp originally but after the pro comp pro runner front struts blew out I’d rather go another company for suspension. The kit itself I’ve never heard of issues but struts are another thing.

What about rear struts/ mounts? I emailed fox about getting a custom length 2.5” rear but they forwarded me onto another seller of theirs to do that customization. So now I’m just waiting on an answer from them.

OP
OP
T JAZ

T JAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L V8
I messaged the shop about the 5” coil kit and he said he would double check that the brackets and mounting are correct when I’m in for my front coil overs.