Front dif question, can anyone confirm?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have had an ongoing vibration in the front end of the 2012 1500 4x4 that I think I finally have narrowed down to the CV shafts. (see this thread for more info, https://www.ramforum.com/threads/front-end-vibrations.141227/ )

If I fix it, it looks like I will most likely need new intermediate shafts, as well as the CV shafts.
My concern is that most of the info I am finding on the "interwebs", is indicating that on 2012 and newer 1500's, the passenger side shaft is not replaceable. I really don't want to have to find/purchase a whole new front dif housing.

So; Does anyone on here have first hand experience with the front differentials on 4th gen's (specifically 2012)? If so, could you please confirm, one way or the other, weather or not the passenger side intermediate shaft is replaceable.

Any info is greatly appreciated,
muddy

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
OP
OP
muddy12

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
while looking around, I just noticed that the 02-05 1500's did not have the front axle disconnect, and they have a one piece passenger side intermediate shaft, which seems readily available. Anyone know if the early 3rd gen 1500 front difs are similar enough to the 4th gens to be able to swap parts?

A 3rd gen shaft would be much cheaper than a whole new housing, and loosing the axle disconnect in the process wouldn't bother me at all.

OP
OP
muddy12

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Another “can anyone confirm” question.
Is it fine to drive the truck without the cv shafts in place?

I’ve heard that the 2wd and 4wd unit-bearings are the same(some vendors list the same part numbers), and that the axle shaft is not needed to hold it together. I’ve also been told that this is not true, and that without the shaft in there, the bearing will fail.

I’m afraid I may find myself in a situation where I will need to drive the truck before I can get the dif housing replaced, so if there is a temporary work around, I’m all ears.

Have I mentioned how much I miss my old stuff with solid front axles? LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
muddy12

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
just to update,
I pulled the CV shafts and disassembled them. I reinstalled the stub shafts(outer portion of the CV) to hold the unit bearings together, and took it for a drive. The vibration is still there.

Worth noting, The internals of both joints on both shafts still looked brand new with no wear, and were still full of grease. The only wear was at the spline joints where the CVs meet the intermediate shafts. This really surprised me, as my CV angles were not much at all.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jems007