Front End Bottoming Out...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slick61

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Anyone else have this issue? I have a '16 2500 ccsb 6.4L hemi 4x4 Tradesman with the 4.10s.... and I'm kindof surprised that going over speed bumps and/or dips onto parking lots/side streets the front end will bottom out & hit the bump stops quite easily. I realize they may soften the springs/shocks on the front to help ride quality, but this seems odd for a heavy duty truck.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Hmm...never felt that in my 2014 6.4L truck and don't feel it now with the 2017 6.7L CTD.

I wonder if you have a shock problem?

Bigseff23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are you sure it's bottoming out? And not just so stiff that it feels like that? I don't think mine could bottom out as stiff as it is

OP
OP
S

Slick61

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'm pretty sure... can feel the suspension compress, & then hit the bump stops. Not a huge deal for me, but was curious if anyone else had noticed this... especially since mine only has 15,000 miles on it.

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
pop the hood and grab something sturdy then bounce and see how hard it is. My 250# fa barely has any motion.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I have never had this, even with the soft springs my PW came with.

It sounds like you've got something else going on if you're hearing/feeling something hit.

Ribtipram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Im not sure mine would bottom out if i hit a speed bump at 50. Im at 250lbs also and i can hardly get the thing to move. Try bouncing it yourself and see how much you can move it. I also dont know if there is a difference in ride height or spring with different packages. I have a 16 with the snow chief opt its a long bed crew cab and its like driving a brick over things. Will toss you around a little. Someone else may know more about differences in options.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
My 2500 CTD will only bottom out if I drive over a big speed-bump going too fast. I believe it's because of the soft factory shocks which I will be replacing in the near future.

JMod45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
I've been wondering about this also. I've seen under the truck a handful of times over the weekend, and there isn't a lot of room for the stops to travel. I have a 14 2500 CTD, so I know the engine is heavy also.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Something doesn't sound right. Did you happen to get a carfax before you got it? Any signs of it being wrecked? Does it look like there was a snow plow attached to it at some point? My 2016 6.4 has just over 50k on it & I have hauled & towed some heavy stuff with it & I have never had mine bottom out on me.

Ribtipram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Could be that diesel. Hemi 6.4 crate motor is 700lbs. Cumm is 1100. Give or take

OP
OP
S

Slick61

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Something doesn't sound right. Did you happen to get a carfax before you got it? Any signs of it being wrecked? Does it look like there was a snow plow attached to it at some point? My 2016 6.4 has just over 50k on it & I have hauled & towed some heavy stuff with it & I have never had mine bottom out on me.

I bought it new... and there's not much call for snow plows around Los Angeles... but I appreciate the input.

Ribtipram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Ill pay more attention next time. Maybe mine does and i never noticed. Mine is also a 16 trades. But it is a long bed snow chief. Not sure if there is any spring difference. Got some running around tomorrow to do i'll find some bumps and post back.

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
Dab some/a lot of excess white paint on the bump stop then then go find one of the bumps you claim is botting out your truck and drive it like you normally do when experiencing the bottoming out and check to see if you transferred paint form your bump stop to where it would have hit. Either you are driving too fast for the stock shocks in the dips or speed bumps our you have a mechanical issue with your suspension system or part.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
You might have what could be described as an axle "hop" when you go over speed bumps/dips squared up to them. This is usually more noticed on solid front axles than the rears. Try driving over bumps/dips at an angle so that both wheels on the axle are not hitting the bump at the same time.

Ribtipram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So op i did swing by some speed bumps a bit ago. I'll be honest i cant tell **** i went over the first one slow and i know it didnt bottom out. The second one i hit a little faster(as fast as i was willing to go in front of the store) threw me up off my seat but i didnt feel or hear any thing that made me think i did. Do you hear anything or is it just a feeling. This dam thing is smooth down the highway but not so much on a speed bump going faster then i should. I only hit it at 5 or so. Sorry thats all the help i got.

Articlonestar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do you have fog lights? The bracket might be broken and they could be hitting. Something to think about as well. Noticed this on my 1500. I Hope it's something simple!

big tom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
OP is right on. I have the same 2016 big horn blacked with all the heavy duty options including plow prep package. Every morning on my way to work doing 45 mph in a 35 mph;) theres a dip in the road and I hit the stops. I have ran lots of trucks in the woods and used to be a wrench at a dealership. Its Hitting.. not hard but bottoming. lol getting full range of suspension . Might be poor compression of factory shocks?. I have 18k on mine. Thinking Thurn leveling spring kit, would give 2in more range of motion..