Front end work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ryan J

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Laramie limited
Engine
5.7 hemi
So im looking to replace just about all of the front end suspension on my truck. Its a '12 with almost 200k miles. I purchased it in 2015 with 60k miles on it. As far as i know everything is original except the shocks i put on back in 17-18 probably pushing 100k miles on those. I want new ball joints and control arm bushings. Im considering upgrading the uca's to the mevotchs. Would it be worth it to get new lca's as a kit with the bushing and ball joints allready installed? My sway bar is starting to split on the passenger side. So i will replace the end links and bushing on it before i do all the other front end work. I plan on just welding the sway bar back together. I have bilstein 5100's currently, should i go ahead and get new shocks while im at it? What other bushing or joints should i look into replacing?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
My sway bar is starting to split on the passenger side. So i will replace the end links and bushing on it before i do all the other front end work. I plan on just welding the sway bar back together.
Unfortunately welding a sway-bar will most likely cause brittle spots and cause it to eventually fail. Sway-bars are heat treated like springs, essentially that's what they are.
Your best bet is to just replace the sway-bar.
If money is tight one could put off replacing the bar as it doesn't effect the front end alignment but be mindful of it while driving.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
So im looking to replace just about all of the front end suspension on my truck. It’s a '12 with almost 200k miles. I purchased it in 2015 with 60k miles on it. As far as i know everything is original except the shocks i put on back in 17-18 probably pushing 100k miles on those. I want new ball joints and control arm bushings. Im considering upgrading the uca's to the mevotchs. Would it be worth it to get new lca's as a kit with the bushing and ball joints allready installed? My sway bar is starting to split on the passenger side. So i will replace the end links and bushing on it before i do all the other front end work. I plan on just welding the sway bar back together. I have bilstein 5100's currently, should i go ahead and get new shocks while im at it? What other bushing or joints should i look into replacing?
I would recommend doing it all at once. CV axles, UCA’s, LCA’s, Hubs and swaybar endlinks. Sway bar bushings on the Frame and you may want new cam bolts for the LCA’s @AllMoparParts.com can set you up with the front end hardware. Is the swaybar actually split or is it just the coating chipping off. We’ll need a picture of that.

At 200k I’m going to say your coil springs are worn so the cost effective route that’s apples to apples with Bilstein 5100’s is the eibach kit and opt for coil springs @Nick@GotExhaust can set you up with those parts. The KYB strut top SM5580’s will be needed as well

OP
OP
Ryan J

Ryan J

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Laramie limited
Engine
5.7 hemi
I would recommend doing it all at once. CV axles, UCA’s, LCA’s, Hubs and swaybar endlinks. Sway bar bushings on the Frame and you may want new cam bolts for the LCA’s @AllMoparParts.com can set you up with the front end hardware. Is the swaybar actually split or is it just the coating chipping off. We’ll need a picture of that.

At 200k I’m going to say your coil springs are worn so the cost effective route that’s apples to apples with Bilstein 5100’s is the eibach kit and opt for coil springs @Nick@GotExhaust can set you up with those parts. The KYB strut top SM5580’s will be needed as well
I will get a pic of it in a bit. Yeah it doesnt ride bad or anything. I just assume most of it is all factory parts over 10yrs old and pushing 200k. I just got it payed off so i dont mind putting a little bit back into it.

OP
OP
Ryan J

Ryan J

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Laramie limited
Engine
5.7 hemi
Unfortunately welding a sway-bar will most likely cause brittle spots and cause it to eventually fail. Sway-bars are heat treated like springs, essentially that's what they are.
Your best bet is to just replace the sway-bar.
If money is tight one could put off replacing the bar as it doesn't effect the front end alignment but be mindful of it while driving.
Okay! I seen where some guys were welding the split end back together and i can see why for $400 lol

OP
OP
Ryan J

Ryan J

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Laramie limited
Engine
5.7 hemi

Pretty sure its a crack lol or well i guess its splitting

Attachments

• 20230704_195224.jpg
    20230704_195224.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 25
OP
OP
Ryan J

Ryan J

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Laramie limited
Engine
5.7 hemi
So let me ask yal this, i have bils at 2.1 is that enough lift that the endlinks needed to replaced for longer ones? I wasnt aware of that when i did the shocks and the shop that installed them didnt say anything.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So let me ask yal this, i have bils at 2.1 is that enough lift that the endlinks needed to replaced for longer ones? I wasnt aware of that when i did the shocks and the shop that installed them didnt say anything.
It would be a good idea to do the Suspension Maxxlinks. I agree with @Quick_Shifter do the Eibach coils and struts and the top strut mounts at the same time. if you would like a quote feel free to message me.