Front left grinding noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Poncho

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey all. I have a 2012 1500 4x4, I started hearing a grinding noise from the front left wheel area a while back I found my cv axle had alot play so I replaced it and still had the noise. Finally noticed if I hit the brakes when I heard it it went away for a minute and found my rotor all scatched up so I changed rotors and pads. It was good for about a week and today it came back. So I guess my next step is to change the wheel bearing hub and brake rotor. Anyone else have a similar issue?

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Lift the wheel a couple inches off the ground, using a floor jack (under the lower a-arm). Then wiggle the wheel up/down violently (with force) ...with your hands on the tire in the 12:00-6:00 positions. If you feel 'play' its a failing wheel bearing. That's a possibility based on your description. Wheel bearings often fail slowly.

It could also be, possibly, a bent brake dust shield, and/or something like a rock or foreign object caught (rubbing) between the rotor and dust shield. It would probably be a good idea to check the upper/lower ball joints while you're at it. Those shouldn't cause brake wear. But since you're in there, and possibly doing work around the wheel, would be good to rule out any suspension issues and take care of any at the same time. There are Y/T videos how to check.

Give those things a check and let us know.

Last edited:

skbball06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Classic Quad Cab Bighorn
Engine
3.6 V6 Etorque
Hey all. I have a 2012 1500 4x4, I started hearing a grinding noise from the front left wheel area a while back I found my cv axle had alot play so I replaced it and still had the noise. Finally noticed if I hit the brakes when I heard it it went away for a minute and found my rotor all scatched up so I changed rotors and pads. It was good for about a week and today it came back. So I guess my next step is to change the wheel bearing hub and brake rotor. Anyone else have a similar issue?
Any pulling to one side or heavy vibrations/wobbling? Does the grinding sound change with the speed you are going? Some things to take note of that point to bearing issue. Good thought on what the other guy said possibly bent rusted brake dust shield could or even something lodged in there. Curious what you find out good luck!

OP
OP
P

Poncho

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Lift the wheel a couple inches off the ground, using a floor jack (under the lower a-arm). Then wiggle the wheel up/down violently (with force) ...with your hands on the tire in the 12:00-6:00 positions. If you feel 'play' its a failing wheel bearing. That's a possibility based on your description. Wheel bearings often fail slowly.

It could also be, possibly, a bent brake dust shield, and/or something like a rock or foreign object caught (rubbing) between the rotor and dust shield. It would probably be a good idea to check the upper/lower ball joints while you're at it. Those shouldn't cause brake wear. But since you're in there, and possibly doing work around the wheel, would be good to rule out any suspension issues and take care of any at the same time. There are Y/T videos how to check.

Give those things a check and let us know.
Guess I forgot a few details.....it only happens when starting off from a stop sign or religion. Like I said I changed the cv axle and when I did I checked tire wiggle and it was tight. Starting to believe it's a sticking brake caliper from the old rotor being tore up

stenerson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 VVT

What's the mileage on your vehicle? This is my 2nd Ram 1500. The wheel and hub bearing assembly seems to go on me every 125K or so miles.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Guess I forgot a few details.....it only happens when starting off from a stop sign or religion. Like I said I changed the cv axle and when I did I checked tire wiggle and it was tight. Starting to believe it's a sticking brake caliper from the old rotor being tore up
Sticking caliper was my thought too. Another thing I've heard of which causes the caliper to stick is the inside of the rubber brake hose tends to delaminate and when you let off the brakes it can block the returning brake fluid causing the caliper to stick. Never saw this myself but heard it's not uncommon.

OP
OP
P

Poncho

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hmmm I'll have to check all the hoses. Thanks

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Put the parts cannon away.

If a caliper is sticking, your trouble wheel will be much hotter than the others and it won't just let go when you start moving.

Just start investigating, post a video of the sound etc.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah. Drive it 5 miles and put your hands on each wheel. You'll definitely feel it if the caliper's not letting up. You could hit it with an IR temp gun, but your hands will do the trick. Touch carefully in case the wheel is real hot.

It might be the caliper not moving freely on the sliding pins. Could also be rust built up underneath the stainless caps (which the pads slide on). Real common issue where rust builds up under them and squeezes the pads so tight you need to use a hammer to get them out. Even if the caliper itself is good. So check that out. If that's the issue, it can be easily resolved by removing stainless caps, and remove rust with file. (if that's what it is.).

OP
OP
P

Poncho

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok so I have changed the following- CV axle, wheel bearing hub, brake caliper, rotors and pads amd I still intermittently get the grinding noise when leaving a stop and only going straight the Boise last only a few seconds and then stops then drive normally

OP
OP
P

Poncho

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What's the mileage on your vehicle? This is my 2nd Ram 1500. The wheel and hub bearing assembly seems to go on me every 125K or so miles.
89'000. Already changed the wheel bearing hub