Front license plate frame removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Turncoat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’m looking at a Big Horn with the black appearance package in Ohio. The dealership slapped on the front license plate holder onto all of their trucks. Has anyone had any success removing these and not leaving scratches or bored out holes? I live in WV and we don’t need them here.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I may be wrong, but I think even with the plastic front bumpers that are painted to match, there’s still gonna be two holes already there for the license plate holder so if you take it off, those two holes will always be there.

We’re not required to run front plates in Oklahoma either but, I made good use of of the holder on mine. I’m a die-hard Cowboys fan so I put a mirrored chrome acrylic team logo plate on mine with a stainless steel license plate frame with stainless steel locking screw cap covers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
Turncoat

Turncoat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Right I know there will be holes but wasn’t sure how bad the screws they use bores them out. Also if the plate holder itself leaves marks.

aidmyaim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
The bighorn with the chrome bumper comes with holes already. I must be a minority here that I want one to put a vanity plate up front to cover the holes.

White Lightening

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I just got my bumper plugs last week. Here’s some pics. Btw you have to order 2 sets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5a82d355b0591e649af214f416390c9d.jpg
5912fff4639ea4f2298d057c198e2554.jpg

HEMI_Finn

U.S. ARMY Veteran
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I just got my bumper plugs last week. Here’s some pics. Btw you have to order 2 sets.

5a82d355b0591e649af214f416390c9d.jpg
5912fff4639ea4f2298d057c198e2554.jpg
I was so pissed to see 4 holes when I took off my plate holder. Trying to decide if it's worth $55 to plug em or just keep the front plate.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
unfortunately here in Texas they make us have a front plate.

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You can pick up "hole plugs" at a hardware store like Ace for just a couple of dollars, and paint them the color you want. That's for the states that only require one license plate that is.

HEMI_Finn

U.S. ARMY Veteran
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
You can pick up "hole plugs" at a hardware store like Ace for just a couple of dollars, and paint them the color you want. That's for the states that only require one license plate that is.
If I can find flame red in a rattle can that would be the way to go!

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

White Lightening

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
unfortunately here in Texas they make us have a front plate.

I live in Texas and I’ve never had a front plate. I’ve received a lot of speeding tickets especially when I was younger and only got written up once for no front plate while being pulled over for speeding.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I live in Texas and I’ve never had a front plate. I’ve received a lot of speeding tickets especially when I was younger and only got written up once for no front plate while being pulled over for speeding.

I’d say you’ve gotten lucky. Supposedly as of 6 years ago, having no front plate is a misdemeanor, punishable of a fine that’s no more than $200.

I know back in Colorado where I used to live years ago, I don’t know what the fine was but if I recall, it was pretty steep and, you wouldn’t go un-harassed for it for very long. They were serious about that front license plate.

The most I ever got was a warning for one, and that was from a cop coming at me on the highway. I told him I hat a new one on order.

Last edited:

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
the cops I know just save that back as extra gravy they can add if you give em crap when stopped for something else. my wife got a warning last year for no front plate but no ticket. I wouldnt mind having a Dallas Cowboys one like above if Jerry didnt make any money off it.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
the cops I know just save that back as extra gravy they can add if you give em crap when stopped for something else. my wife got a warning last year for no front plate but no ticket. I wouldnt mind having a Dallas Cowboys one like above if Jerry didnt make any money off it.

Ah hell, that man just keeps gettin’ richer and richer. Lol. Just by changin’ the name of that new stadium to AT&T stadium, that was a 17 million dollar check from what i heard. Lol.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Where did you get the painted white bumper plugs

Well, if ya scroll up there to around
post #4 you’ll see where somebody posted a link where you can buy those plugs specifically for our Ram trucks that are even pre-painted but unless you wanna spend 36 bucks a pair- and yes, supposedly you will have to buy two pair, I’d do like what one other member posted and go to the hardware store and search for something much cheaper that’ll work. If not, I would just keep your front plate holder there and put something decorative in it.