Front Wheel Bearings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B250

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L V8 MFI
I'm reaching the end of my rope with my front wheel bearings. About a year ago I had a shop replace the front rotors/hubs/bearings as the rotors were worn badly. The bearings were OK at that time but I thought I would have them changed while the hubs were off.

Anyway, a month or two later I checked them for free play and there was a tiny amount of wobble on both front wheels. Not noticeable unless you really pulled at the tires, and then less than 1/16" movement at the outer tire circumference. So I tightened them up following the manual instructions, and set off again. Another month and another wiggle check produced the same results. By July I must have re-tightened the bearings at least six times. The axle nut retainer and pin were not in the best condition by now and I put the wobble down to slack between those two parts and the axle nut - maybe the axle nut was loosening itself just enough to free up the bearings slightly.

In July I had a lot of front end work done, so decided to change the wheel bearings to fix the issue once and for all. I even got new nut retainers to hold the axle nut securely in place. After 200 miles I checked the bearings and the wobble was back! Another tightening and 100 miles later they were loose again!

When I tightened them this last time, I noticed that even hand-tightening the axle nut still left a minute amount of play before I even drove anywhere!

Is this normal for Dodge front axles? Is there supposed to be a tiny amount of free play in them? There is no bearing noise and they don't get hot. I am now starting to wonder if the free play is not the bearings themselves, but the outer race not fitting tightly enough over the spindle. Could a problem with the spindles be causing this wobble?

I don't know what to try next other than replace the front spindles, but it's hard to find new ones and I don't want to put junkyard ones on as they may be in worse shape than mine may be.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You could check the axle for wear. If it’s got to much wear the bearing won’t ride right and can become worn fast. However it does seem odd that it keeps loosening up if it’s not wearing prematurely

u2slow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6BTA
Username is B250.... Maybe a van?

I had an E350 van like that. Always snugging up the bearings. I didn't think much of it because I ran the thing quite heavy, and of course, it was auto - meaning the brakes get a workout.

PaPitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
I Guess I'd ask are you putting in quality bearing & seals .& Are they getting packed properly..
.... Many years ago I saw a kid at a repair shop not clean a set of rotors & Hubs when they were returned to him from being turned on the lathe .
i'LL SURE BET THAT JOB DIDN'T LAST LONG.
.....bUT I'd find a quality shop & have them give it a good front bearing replacement . Good Luck..

Last edited:

Greylord

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 l
If its a serviceable wheel bearing (example 2wd front) make sure they're installed correctly and with the proper preload. Pack them according either with your palm or grease Packer. Tighten the nut while rotating the hub more than snug, back off nut until minimal palsy is found than tighten to the nearest cotter key hole (a little play is ok). Hope this helps?

smittyd174

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If they are replaceable bearings not a hub bearing assembly , minimal play is acceptable. A wise man explained to me like this , when you wiggle the tire , you should feel a little movement, even hear an ever so little clunk,clunk when moving it but so little movement you would never see it . Maybe a 64th to a 32nd of an inch . If there is 0 play they are probably just a hair too tight . Sometimes tightening or loosing one hole on the castle nut is enough.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
The last the OP was on here was Oct 17th. And no response to the thread. Bye.