Frozen Tailgate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kdbou11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Has anyone had problems with the tailgate freezing in cold weather. I have a 2020 Ram Tradesman with the 8ft bed. It got down to about 16 deg here and I tried to open the tailgate. I could hear it unlock but it would not open, later it got to about 40 deg and it opened ok. If this is a common problem, is there anything I can do to prevent it. Thank Ken.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Haven’t had this issue.

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I've had it freeze to the seal on my tauneu cover many times. Typically a wipe of silcone spray stops it for a few weeks or so. never seen one freeze without a cover tho.

Phirebeard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Like chopperman1, mine freezes to my tonneau cover. The tailgate isn't sealed like doors, so it shouldn't freeze unless you have a lot of half melted snow or something against it. You could always pour some warm water over it if you had to get into it.

Dr. Righteous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Had this happen to me a few times. I sprayed some penetrating oil on the latches and was good for a long time but froze up again last bit of cold weather we had. Tailgate wouldn't latch closed.

Plankton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I went to open mine yesterday and it was frozen shut, but luckily today it's above freezing. I just sprayed the latches with some WD40.

Fergusontd

FTD
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Get the Ford heated tailgate option. It can heat in the winter so your hands don't freeze when you're pushing your teuck!

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Any amount of water or melt and stuff is going to freeze. It gets very cold up here for long periods of time. I use Silicone spray on all weatherstripping every time I wash the truck, which is usually once a week or more, and do all hinges and latches with it at the same time. WD40 is a good water displacer, but it attracts a lot of dust and cruds up over time. I use it to get water out of the key ways on locks but then respray with silicone lube. Takes maybe 10 minutes to do a real thorough job. I also carry little bottles of lock de-icer, which is just methyl hydrate in case something freezes, one quick squirt, even at -40, and it frees up the iced up part.

WmTWard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
I did the warm water idea, walked back to the cab, then heard the tailgate blast open on its own!
I do have a cover and there had been rain/snow followed by freezing temps.