Fuel filler neck flapper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

James Winkelman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
2018 Ram 3500 DRW. I have a gravity feed auxiliary tank. It has been fine until yesterday morning. Previous day I filled auxiliary tank. Large puddle of fuel with constant drip appeared. I shut off the safety shut off on the tank. It seems the flapper that is deepest in the fuel filler neck is allowing fuel to fill completely to the first flapper. There is @ a 3" space between the flaps. My questions are:
1. Has anyone had this issue? I cannot find it specifically on the forum.
2. Should there be fuel sitting in the 3" gap?
3. If I need to replace the fuel filler neck, should i go oem or aftermarket? I like oem but not if it is only going to last three years.
4. Could the issue be the check valve on the gravity feed kit. There is a 90 degree check valve that is screwed into the 'T' that is installed in the fuel line. If you have installed one of these this makes sense without pics.
pic
No codes are being thrown so i guess it is sealing 'enough' for engine just not enough to keep fuel from leaking. Any insight or suggestions are appreciated.

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I would shut off that petcock if your not driving
In the morning, check your tires, oil, etc. & turn on the petcock

No need to overthink things