Fuel gauge weird issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Peekaboo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
I am having a weird issue with my fuel gauge on my '03 RAM 1500 : if I fill the tank, the gauge indicates a full tank (that's normal !), and then begins to go down when I run. When the needle is just under the last scale mark, it suddenly drops to zero, with a chime. It stays like that until I run about 20 miles, and then, when restarting the engine, everything is ok untill the next time I will fill up the tank.
Has anybody have experienced such an issue ? Thanks !

sylver91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The fingers on the fuel level sender may be getting brittle and throws the fuel reading out of whack. Only way to tell would be to disconnect it and check the resistance spec for the amount of fuel you have. If not it may be wiring or a cluster issue.

jpdavis44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Liter V8
I have a similar issue with my 2002. I will fill it up and take off down the road. Some point, at random, it drops all the way down to empty and I get the chime. Most of the time, it immediately goes back to showing a full tank, but sometimes it sits like that for a few minutes. Very strange indeed.

OP
OP
Peekaboo

Peekaboo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
I am investigating around the sensor contacts... I'll post if I find something. :word: