Fuel Mileage Honesty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Campbellsoutlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Guys,

Honest question: is the fuel mileage really that bad when you think about it? I’ve had a 2015 Tundra TRD Pro and it averaged 13-15 mpg. I had a 2006 Rubicon Unlimited that averaged 11. Off road vehicles get crummy mileage.

It seems like any time you put off road tires and a lift/level on a V8, the mileage will blow. My buddy’s 2014 Raptor gets 12ish all day. I have no idea why so many people bash this truck for its MPG.

If you buy a Ram 1500, lift it, put on 35s and a winch/bumpers, wouldn’t you get about the same mileage as the Power Wagon? What am I missing?

MJockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
The fuel mileage is not bad for what the Power Wagon is. That said I wouldn't want to daily drive one if the gas prices go back to $4 a gallon.

GIJoe2010

No sh*t, there I was . . .
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not nearly as modded as some here (leveled at 2.8" with 5100 Bils, 275/65/R20 Cooper Adventurer ATPs, DS 91 Octane canned tune w/MDS disable w/Pedal Commander, muffler delete, etc) but I'm personally very happy I can get around 16-17 MPGs around town if I drive "frugally" and around 22-24 MPGs on the highway cruise on at around 70 MPH.

I bought my truck to haul my family and whatnot around, on and off road. I also understood the moment I bought my truck it wouldn't stay stock and fuel mileage would suffer eventually.

So to answer your first question: No, I don't believe fuel mileage is that bad for a 5000+Lb truck, but I'm sure opinions will vary.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think my truck gets great mileage. Leveled on 35s and I get about 16mpg city and it only goes up on the highway. Only slightly less than my v6 tacoma got.

It doesn't seem like a lot of people bash these trucks about mpg to me.

OP
OP
C

Campbellsoutlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When I was initially researching them the common theme was how terrible the mileage was, how thirsty, blah blah blah. Pretty much every review online hammers them...but the smiles per gallon has to be (que the Donald Trump voice) HUGE!

I can’t wait to rotate back stateside!

Sdreeser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
You dont buy a truck like a powerwagon with mpg in mind. It is what it is. I have had a raptor with the 6.2 and 37 inch tires and a tundra with 35 inch tires all have about same mpg as my my pw with 35 if you anyone wants to complain about mpg they should have bought a prius

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
When I was initially researching them the common theme was how terrible the mileage was, how thirsty, blah blah blah. Pretty much every review online hammers them...but the smiles per gallon has to be (que the Donald Trump voice) HUGE!

I can’t wait to rotate back stateside!

Stay safe soldier.

I Love My 2018 RAM 2500HD 4x4 6.4L. USMC (ret)

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
You dont buy a truck like a powerwagon with mpg in mind. It is what it is. I have had a raptor with the 6.2 and 37 inch tires and a tundra with 35 inch tires all have about same mpg as my my pw with 35 if you anyone wants to complain about mpg they should have bought a prius

Yeah go buy a Prius of ****

I Love My 2018 RAM 2500HD 4x4 6.4L. USMC (ret)

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
I haven't yet had a head-on collision on a remote highway, but if the day comes I would rather be driving my Power Wagon vs saving a bit of gas in a small vehicle. Seen a lot of stupidity in people passing, including today near Muddy Gap, Wyoming where some small car that I was following stupidly passed a truck directly into the on coming traffic on a 2 lane 70 mph highway. Cars and trucks braked and scattered to avoid a collision and so did I while towing a full loaded utility trailer. What I might save on the cost of fuel with a little car, is never worth the value of my life.

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The worst decision someone can make is to buy a truck and be a worry wart about mileage. I've done nearly every mod possible to reduce my mpg. Might as well call my truck "The Whistler". Get.13-14 mpg and am nothing but smiles!

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Campbellsoutlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I haven't yet had a head-on collision on a remote highway, but if the day comes I would rather be driving my Power Wagon vs saving a bit of gas in a small vehicle. Seen a lot of stupidity in people passing, including today near Muddy Gap, Wyoming where some small car that I was following stupidly passed a truck directly into the on coming traffic on a 2 lane 70 mph highway. Cars and trucks braked and scattered to avoid a collision and so did I while towing a full loaded utility trailer. What I might save on the cost of fuel with a little car, is never worth the value of my life.

Agree all. I always feel safest when driving an uparmored HMMWV (except when turning too fast...but that’s a story for another day). I could personally care less about the MPG, but was surprised how all reviewers made it a huge deal that they Were surprised the mileage would be at 12-13.

We have a 8,500 lb TT so the PW will be used off road and as a tow vehicle. Plus, I have a GTI Mk6 so when I feel the need to get 25 MPG I’m good to go.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Agree all. I always feel safest when driving an uparmored HMMWV (except when turning too fast...but that’s a story for another day). I could personally care less about the MPG, but was surprised how all reviewers made it a huge deal that they Were surprised the mileage would be at 12-13.

We have a 8,500 lb TT so the PW will be used off road and as a tow vehicle. Plus, I have a GTI Mk6 so when I feel the need to get 25 MPG I’m good to go.

The power wagon has an off road suspension iirc. Will that be suitable to .tow your TT ?

busterbrown

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 2500 Megacab Laramie
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The power wagon has an off road suspension iirc. Will that be suitable to .tow your TT ?
He probably won't have any payload to spare after hooked up to his loaded trailer. Between the hitch, tongue weight, passengers, and cargo, 1,400 lbs isn't much for that size trailer.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I track my mpg, but I get about what I expected to lol. MPG was the last thing on our list.

OP
OP
C

Campbellsoutlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
He probably won't have any payload to spare after hooked up to his loaded trailer. Between the hitch, tongue weight, passengers, and cargo, 1,400 lbs isn't much for that size trailer.

Hitch weight is 795 so I should be good to go. With my weight distribution hitch, about 100 of that is distributed b/t the front axle and trailer. You’re right though, b/t me, my wife and kid we only can carry about 150-200 in gear in the truck.

The rest goes in the camper.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't forget about the critters too! I drive a lot of back roads through the woods to work and I've had many deer and quite a few hogs and even a couple three gators step out in front of me over the 27 years I've been traveling this route and trust me your chances of survival are much better in a truck vs. some ******* car.

phonegenius06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Seriously...if you're worried about mileage in the least bit...DON'T BUY A POWER WAGON!!!