Fuel Pressure Test HOW???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Al R

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I have a 2012 Dodge Ram 2500 5.7. Last 3 days I’ve turned on the truck to just get a sputter start and then turn off, it sounds and feels like the truck needs fuel. I have a full tank, I also did the test to turn the key to the on position for 5 seconds and wait and then turn it on, it works sometimes. The fuel pump I can hear turns on. The truck runs fine once it’s on.

Now I looked at all electrical no issue with battery or fuses all good. I wanted to do the fuel pressure test and see if it’s the fuel pump and have only read one post that says it’s part of the fuel rail.

I bought a fuel pressure test kit on Amazon. Now can anyone explain in detail how to do it? And also should gas be going through all of it to the fuel rail or vapors because when I tried it it was fuel coming through.

also has anyone had any issue with the purge valve? Could this be an issue?

SteadyEddie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
I suggest you watch a few videos of other mechanics who ran fuel pump pressure tests. Easier to see than to explain. As for the purge valve, yes they go bad but it is not your problem. Last one I tested was making the truck shudder at about 45mph. I thought at first it was the torque converter clutch, but disconnecting it did nothing. When I pulled the hose off the purge valve charcoal bits fell out. The evap canister had gone bad and the engine was sucking charcoal from the canister, and the bits were getting stuck in the valve. Let us know what you figure out on your fuel issue. Cheers.

Spud66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Hi

If it is a start issue:
Put the gauge on the fitting on the rail and bump the key.
You would need to check the exact pressure spec but I would guess any pressure above 30 should be sufficient to start.

I had an old Cherokee overland 4.7 2002 that had a bad check valve valve (symptom) and you could see 0 psi and when bumped would go to 50 or whatever. then it would bleed down. Turned out there was a fix kit for 8 bucks( 2002) instead of a $400 fuel module. It was an o ring and a popcsicle stick to fix a pickup issue.

start there... it's easy monitor the pressure. No pressure is bad.

Let us know and we can proceed sir... ttl JR