Fuel pump issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris Ray

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Truck will run for a few minutes then die. Tap on the tank where the fuel pump is and truck will run for about 5 seconds.
If I wait for 20 min or so then tap on pump again truck will run for 5 minutes the die again.
Have about half tank of gas in it.
Do I need to buy new pump or can I get away with either taking some gas out or filling it with more gas. Could the level of gas in the tank where it is be a factor?
Just grasping.
Thank you for ANY advice.
Chris

07hemi4x4bighorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Truck will run for a few minutes then die. Tap on the tank where the fuel pump is and truck will run for about 5 seconds.
If I wait for 20 min or so then tap on pump again truck will run for 5 minutes the die again.
Have about half tank of gas in it.
Do I need to buy new pump or can I get away with either taking some gas out or filling it with more gas. Could the level of gas in the tank where it is be a factor?
Just grasping.
Thank you for ANY advice.
Chris

Mine did that, ended up that I took a generator to a parking lot and cut a rectangle out of the bed to get to the pump and replace it.

It sure made me wonder what exactly went wrong on that pump and if I’d had more time I would have cleaned it and isolated the issue; then tried to repair with something from a electronics store.

(Instead of spending 250 at O’Reilly’s)

I patched the hole with the same rectangle I cut out, put it on hinges and patched in around to create under lap. Finished it off with a larger diamond plate cover screwed in with sheet metal screws.

If I had it to do over I would remove the bed using the bolts and have another guy help me lift it off.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
I do not know when your fuel pump was replaced last. But the condition you stated is what my 03 displayed when the fuel pump went out. My tech did the diagnostics to confirm that it was in fact the pump. Dropped the tank and replaced the pump and filter. Not a difficult repair. A couple things to be aware of if you do the same. 1. Get a quality pump. The over seas pumps from some vendors are crap. You do not want to do this twice. 2. Be careful when replacing the pump. If the gauge flag gets bent or obstructed, your gauge will not read correctly. Had to drop the tank again and relieve the flag arm. One pissed off tech.