Fuel Sensor Fail

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joeram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi5.7
15 Ram 1500 Short Bed Reg Cab 4x4 5.7 Deep Cherry Red here. What's up guys?

I'm sure others... probably thousands of others... have had this problem:

Fill the tank needle goes to full. After a few miles needle suddenly drops to E (empty). Check Engine light comes on and a warning comes up "Fuel Sensor Fail". Truck runs perfectly fine.

Approximately a $700 fix so they can replace the poorly designed system with a new poorly designed system. Utterly and totally ridiculous.

So I fill the tank and set the trip meter to zero. When it gets to 400 miles I fill it again.

In my opinion this problem should be up for recall. Seriously thinking about writing the NTSB to petition them to take that action.

Any thoughts?

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Never of that issue before, myself.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Never of that issue before, myself.

What is the $700 repair you are referring to? Fuel pump replacement?

I'm guessing what you are experiencing is a failed fuel level sending unit on your fuel pump. The sender is a small potentiometer with the float attached to the side of it which allows the EVIC in the cluster to display the fuel level.

Also, for something like this to become a recall it would have to be an imminent safety hazard to the vehicles occupants or other motorist. It would also have to affect several other vehicles for it to become a recall campaign.

OP
OP
J

Joeram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi5.7
Thanks for chiming in. Yes that's the problem the fuel level sensor. There are two great videos on YT explaining the problem and repair.

And I agree that it's not an "imminent" safety issue. But it could be an indirect safety issue.

It's at least worth letting the NTSB and or other consumer protection agencies knowabout this... Although they probably already do. Fuel gauges should not **** the bed on a four-year-old vehicle. I have 285000 miles on my Toyota without a fuel gauge problem. As a matter of fact I think the last fuel gauge problem I had was on my 77 Cutlass... in 1978.

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve had the fuel sensor fail twice. The first time was before 18k miles. The second one failed 1/2 mile away from the dealership after a OMG the first one replaced. It’s a well known problem that has been happening since 2012 and FCA doesn’t care about fixing the problem.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know the voices in my head aren’t real, but man, do they ever come up with some great ideas.

OP
OP
J

Joeram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi5.7
Michael,

That is frustrating man. So I take it you went back and they fixed it again... sounds redundant I know.

That's why I'm reluctant to get it repaired. I have a lifetime added care plus warranty but of course sensors aren't covered. However, if it's part of the fuel pump I don't know. Of course I'd have to pay $130 for the diagnosis. Probably tell me it's not covered then shell out another $600 for a repair that won't last.

Needed a sticker last week. Cleared the code got the sticker. Check engine light came back on as I left the station lol.

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Luckily mine was covered under warranty

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know the voices in my head aren’t real, but man, do they ever come up with some great ideas.

OP
OP
J

Joeram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi5.7
Just wondering - how long ago did you have it done?

Thanks

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
About 45k miles ago.

17HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have the same problem, I just don't fill it up anymore
and now the light does not come, problem solved

rsdata

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 BigHorn 1500 8spd 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2014, 1500 hemi, 32 gal tank with 92K miles... have lived with sender error code now for 40K miles but am now looking to fix it myself... I fill up, the guage says full, then after 50 or 60 miles it goes to empty and I get the CEL

what part# and vendor did you go with if you don't mind sharing?

my local mechanic ( I trust him and his wisdom) says the Spectra fuel pumps/senders from Rock Auto aren't worth a dam and will not warranty it if I provide this part... he says it will take a $400 part to fix it permanently, with little possibilty of a re-do a year later.. so looking for other opinions on part # that others have had luck with...

thx

SD4Vida

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
same problem for 3weeks now on my '14 Express at 145K. I do the same, fill up and reset tripmeter. I saw a 'fix' once was use Techron and Chevron gas for 2 tanks to dissolve any tarnish on the sensor, tried it, worked once then problem came back. Dealer wants $1k to fix. Nope, no can do so I continue the tripmeter option...

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
$70 pump assembly with revised sender from amazon and a couple hours to drop the tank. A grand el oh el

F27F259C-1033-4EFE-91D4-688719B8B087.jpeg

rsdata

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 BigHorn 1500 8spd 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wound up with the $295 3 months works good
Delphi quality... hopefully
Delphi FG1354 Fuel Module

Ken W22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2017 Rebel with 44k. Same problem! This should definitely be a recall!! I can't believe Chrysler isn't taking responsibility for this.

vegaskiller73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just had another code pop up at the beginning of January. Well guess what. Same problem. This is the 3rd time and would be the 4th pump in the truck. I have a 2014 with 67k miles.....extended warranty ran out in June 2021, so now I have to eat the $1k for replacement of a Mopar part that only last 14 months.....
OAN, FCA will only replace warranty parts 2 times so be aware....

vegaskiller73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wound up with the $295 3 months works good
Delphi quality... hopefully
Delphi FG1354 Fuel Module
Did you have better luck with the Delphi? I'm looking at ordering mine from Rockauto...

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just recently fixed mine. Rather, had my mechanic do it. I dealt with the issue for 2-1/2 years before I finally got it fixed. Just reset my trip every fill up. Finally got tired of it. Dealer quoted $1200 to replace the fuel pump. Had my mechanic replace if for about $750. I forget the brand of fuel pump, now. But, is was either $175 for the sending module to replace it, or $400 for a new pump. Labor was the same either way - I told him just to replace the pump.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
It's so weird that it's a repeat problem for some and others never have it. It makes you wonder if it's something with the fuel being used that degrades the circuit board / contact points for the level sensor or is it how/where the truck is driven?

I owned my 2017 Ram 1500 until just shy of 50K miles and never had an issue. My 2019 classic is currently at 47K miles. No issue yet. With both trucks I tend to re-fuel at ~1/4 tank and fill the tank. I either use Sunoco or a little Valero station with "Top Tier" fuel stickers on the pump. My area has has 10% ethanol since the 1990s.

I'd also like to know how the $70 amazon fuel pump worked out for Tim above, but I don't think he's with us any longer. I'm the king of cheap, or at least I thought I was. LOL!

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yea, it is weird that some have the problem, and some don't. I wonder if it's an issue with the other Dodge vehicles? I probably had 9x,*** miles (or somewhere in that range) on mine before it quit working. I'm at 120k miles now.