Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel

sydbarringer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I'd get a second estimate. $1200 seems way too much for that repair. The OEM pump from Mopar is around $500, (aftermarket around $200 - $250), generously giving them 3 hours labor to replace @ $150 an hour works out to around $950.
Maybe they planned to replace the tank straps, too. Haha. I was quoted $1400 in late Oct 2023 in Tuscaloosa, Ala because they knew I was headed back to Virginia the next day. They said the fuel pump HAD to be replaced, too, as sensor and pump were "integrated". I said "no". Got back to VA just fine, using the 350 mile method. It seems the parts ARE available separately, but the job requires the tank to be dropped anyway. My fuel sensor died when I had a crash. Now i have to convince insurance that it worked before the crash.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
EdGs
that fuel line tool is better than screw driver & pliers

even the cheaper tools work

View attachment 531301
Actually the release for the pump line is kind of a pushbutton style. There is a u-shaped (ish) locking clip that was missing.

It must've come off when the bedside was repaired when I got hit in a parking lot a couple years back, the body shop did have the bed off, but they didn't have to mess with the lines, except the filler neck.

I got the fitting to release by hand, but it did take a bit. If I had been trying to get at it from underneath, I'm not sure if it would've released.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
when they pulled my 2016 ecodiesel tank
they tied the the fill tube in place, maybe so it would not get lost.

1699497614115.png

1699497668214.png

1699497974098.png

1699498101537.png

1699498174382.png

jmc921

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
Like one of the earlier posts, my CEL comes on between full and 3/4. The fuel gauge never stops working except very briefly but starts working within seconds and never has any issues once I’m below 3/4 full. I have been clearing the code using AlfaOBD so it’s only a nuisance for now. My dealer quoted $1,325 to replace the entire fuel pump.

I was wondering if there is a way to use AlfaOBD to tell the system not to turn on the CEL. I have noticed that not all codes turn on the CEL so maybe there is a setting that can be changed. Does anyone know if that’s possible?

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Like one of the earlier posts, my CEL comes on between full and 3/4. The fuel gauge never stops working except very briefly but starts working within seconds and never has any issues once I’m below 3/4 full. I have been clearing the code using AlfaOBD so it’s only a nuisance for now. My dealer quoted $1,325 to replace the entire fuel pump.

I was wondering if there is a way to use AlfaOBD to tell the system not to turn on the CEL. I have noticed that not all codes turn on the CEL so maybe there is a setting that can be changed. Does anyone know if that’s possible?
About 2 years ago my fuel gauge went to empty, full time. The dealer warned me it could be fuel sensor, or sensor and pump together. I was told the would diagnose each. They did.

Fuel pump checked good, sensor failed. Parts and labor were just under $700. I said all that so I could tell you it was Stetler in West York.

And $700 is spendy but 1/2 the price you were quoted. Are you sure you need both?

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

The truck is nearly 10 years old. Fix it! GEE!

jmc921

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
About 2 years ago my fuel gauge went to empty, full time. The dealer warned me it could be fuel sensor, or sensor and pump together. I was told the would diagnose each. They did.

Fuel pump checked good, sensor failed. Parts and labor were just under $700. I said all that so I could tell you it was Stetler in West York.

And $700 is spendy but 1/2 the price you were quoted. Are you sure you need both?
The quote was from Thornton on Cape Horn Road. Do you think Stetler would be less expensive? Also, when I look at any Mopar parts listing, the sensor as a stand alone is no longer available.

Also, Sherman Bird - I appreciate what you’re saying but a lot of us don’t have $1,300 laying around. Plus, I have just paid for broken exhaust manifold bolts ($725) and have scheduled work for a bad front hub assembly (don’t know the price yet but it will likely be in the $300 to $500 range and that’s from my local mechanic). So, all in, I’m looking at a total pushing $3,000 so if I can safely postpone a $1,300 expense, I will.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Your price on exhaust manifold bolts is consistent with what I have paid at Stetler. I was just hoping that you might luck out on the parts.

Stetler has been doing all maintenance and repairs on my truck since 2017 when I bought it.
I'm currently waiting for a UOA from Blackstone Labs. Curious to see what it shows since no one at Stetler has any detail about the oil they're pouring into my engine.
One guy says Pennzoil Synthetic but can't tell me which one. The parts guys say it's Mopar oil.

I'm about this close >< to choosing another shop. I need to keep this vehicle going, I'm retired and don't plan on another vehicle payment.

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The quote was from Thornton on Cape Horn Road. Do you think Stetler would be less expensive? Also, when I look at any Mopar parts listing, the sensor as a stand alone is no longer available.

Also, Sherman Bird - I appreciate what you’re saying but a lot of us don’t have $1,300 laying around. Plus, I have just paid for broken exhaust manifold bolts ($725) and have scheduled work for a bad front hub assembly (don’t know the price yet but it will likely be in the $300 to $500 range and that’s from my local mechanic). So, all in, I’m looking at a total pushing $3,000 so if I can safely postpone a $1,300 expense, I will.
Get your local mechanic to quote you the fuel pump replacement. I paid $650 for a mechanic to replace mine. The part was $400, which was ordered from a local parts store (small town, higher costs) and it was a quick job for him with his lift. The sensor was available for a while as a stand alone part for roughly $100, but I think that was before Covid hit and then part suppliers took a hit. You have to pull the pump to replace that anyway, so the labor cost is the same. As our trucks get older with more miles, you may be better off just replacing the whole pump.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The truck is nearly 10 years old. Fix it! GEE!
The short answer is NO! The fuel level sender is a part of the OBD2 monitoring system. It is crucial for EVAP evaluation and reporting for I/M function. Whoever disables it is violating an EPA mandate. Why would they want that potential liability?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357