Fuel tank gauge update?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IMRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Maybe this is been covered, I have a 2017 Ram Limited, crew cab ......brought in for the updates it needed. I noticed when I filled it up with gas, I ran it to empty as I normally do, and my 32 gallon tank would only take around 28 gallons when it got to this level. Tonight it took almost 31 gallons. I’m guessing they must’ve updated the software for the fuel gauge? Sure I’m glad I didn’t run it longer like I have did in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FriedDumpling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Maybe this is been covered, I have a 2017 Ram Limited, crew cab ......brought in for the updates it needed. I noticed when I filled it up with gas, I ran it to empty as I normally do, and my 32 gallon tank would only take around 28 gallons when it got to this level. Tonight it took almost 31 gallons. I’m guessing they must’ve updated the software for the fuel gauge? Sure I’m glad I didn’t run it longer like I have did in the past.

What do you perceive the update was. Mine does the same thing and is a real head-scratcher as to why I can’t get more than 27 gal the tank.

Many posts in the forum, no solutions. Dealer claims there’s not a software update that addresses this.

OP
OP
I

IMRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
What do you perceive the update was. Mine does the same thing and is a real head-scratcher as to why I can’t get more than 27 gal the tank.

Many posts in the forum, no solutions. Dealer claims there’s not a software update that addresses this.

I was the same as you, but after I brought it in for all the updates, once my gauge read empty it took almost 31 gallons. That’s why I was wondering if there was a update I was not aware of. I got pretty used to running quite a while on empty, not anymore.

Whiteannerdy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
What dealership did your updates?

Whenever I have work done I get a print out for everything they’ve done including updates. Their description is sometimes not very good though. It’s also possible it’s hidden inside one of the recall updates without any notes.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I believe it's included with the update for the Auto Park feature.... there's a thread around here somewhere about it.

SWtransportdesign

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Big Horn Crew Cab 4WD
Engine
5.7 Hemi V8
I bought a 2019 Ram Big Horn Classic crew cab, 4wd, about three weeks ago, and it takes 30-31 gallons when the fuel gauge is at E. It was built October 2018. For a long time, it appeared very few people this forum had a correctly calibrated 32 gallon tank gauge because of incorrect calibration, so I want to let everyone know I have one that works properly, and I would assume any trucks built or updated after mine will be correctly configured.

FriedDumpling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I bought a 2019 Ram Big Horn Classic crew cab, 4wd, about three weeks ago, and it takes 30-31 gallons when the fuel gauge is at E. It was built October 2018. For a long time, it appeared very few people this forum had a correctly calibrated 32 gallon tank gauge because of incorrect calibration, so I want to let everyone know I have one that works properly, and I would assume any trucks built or updated after mine will be correctly configured.

That’s interesting. My 2015 is completely updated from a software standpoint. Still can only fill about 27 gals +/-, when my “remaining” miles are <100.

I asked about a tank calibration update and they looked at me like I had 3 heads.

Razzman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited CCSB
Engine
6.7 Cummins
My dealer claimed the auto-park recall would correct it, it did not. I’ve just got used to it, if nothing else I have a hell of a reserve. Not gonna be ocd about it as it’s not that big of a deal to me.

OP
OP
I

IMRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I had four updates and the auto park was one of them. All I can tell you is my gas gauge is now accurate, and it was not prior. I’m just glad I didn’t do like I did most the time, and ride it for a while on empty because I would’ve definitely ran out of gas.Before I would drive that thing 30 or 40 miles after the light came on, and only get 28 gallons of gas in it.

TonyMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 CC 6"4 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had four updates and the auto park was one of them. All I can tell you is my gas gauge is now accurate, and it was not prior. I’m just glad I didn’t do like I did most the time, and ride it for a while on empty because I would’ve definitely ran out of gas.Before I would drive that thing 30 or 40 miles after the light came on, and only get 28 gallons of gas in it.

Which year is your truck?

sickman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2016 Big Horn with the 32 gallon tank. I've had the Auto Park update done and it did not fix the calibration of the fuel tank. When I asked the service manager at the dealer about it he kinda blew it off and said "ah, you can't trust those things anyway"

Razzman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited CCSB
Engine
6.7 Cummins

I too had all four updates done with no love on the gauge. If it bugs me I can always use ALFA to correct it as others have done.

Razzman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited CCSB
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have a 2016 Big Horn with the 32 gallon tank. I've had the Auto Park update done and it did not fix the calibration of the fuel tank. When I asked the service manager at the dealer about it he kinda blew it off and said "ah, you can't trust those things anyway"

When I asked my dealer two weeks ago about it he said "Mine does it too, they did it on purpose for a reserve"! Seriously haha

OP
OP
I

IMRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Here is a real life update, although I did not intend to do this. While traveling today I got on a toll road and had so much stuff on my mind I literally forgot to put fuel on. Once the gas light came on I watched all down all the way to 10 miles left then switched to say low fuel, I drove three more miles so technically it should’ve said I had 7 miles left by the time I hit a place to buy gas. I got exactly 30 gallons in. So by complete mistake, I learned that you probably have 2 gallons left from the time it gets down to estimating 10 miles. Probably a 25 to 30 mile cushion on the highway.

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
My 2013 doesn't have the dash gear selector is on console, so don't think the auto park updates available. I can get 26 at most be rare 27 gallons when the low fuel light comes on, sometimes I drive to work 2 times(48 miles round trip) before filling. Only irritating part is can't remote start if fuel says low, so even when I have 5 gallons, I can't use remote start.

pete lavigne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
2010 ram gauge works till 1/2 than next time shows empty at 1/2 new sender twice last one from dodge new cluster all bulk heads and wiring are ohm out good. And ideas bcm?

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
My 2013 doesn't have the dash gear selector is on console, so don't think the auto park updates available. I can get 26 at most be rare 27 gallons when the low fuel light comes on, sometimes I drive to work 2 times(48 miles round trip) before filling. Only irritating part is can't remote start if fuel says low, so even when I have 5 gallons, I can't use remote start.
2017 Laramie crew with the 32 gallon tank. Almost all of my driving is highway. 40, 200 miles with 970 driving hours and 59 idle hours as of today. When the low fuel warning light comes on I have never been able to get a full 26 gallons in the tank. I have always figured that even taking a conservative approach after the light shows I can go another 100 miles. This would pretty much equate to what rotwiler is experiencing. I don't believe that I have ever put more than 30.7 gallons in on a fill up. And that was on a 700 mile run without finding fuel. If something changes I will definitely be caught with my pants down! Dealer tells me there is no way to get the fuel gauge to function accurately with the 32 gallon tank.
That's all I know.

Last edited:

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
I have drove to work sometimes twice when fuel low light is on, that is over 4 gallons of gas and never ran out. I am thinking the reason they had the light come on with 6-7 gallons left is possibly to keep fuel pump safe or they got lazy and just put in same sensor as the smaller tank. I did have a dodge caravan years ago and it also showed low fuel with 6-7 gallons reserve left.

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
I have drove to work sometimes twice when fuel low light is on, that is over 4 gallons of gas and never ran out. I am thinking the reason they had the light come on with 6-7 gallons left is possibly to keep fuel pump safe or they got lazy and just put in same sensor as the smaller tank. I did have a dodge caravan years ago and it also showed low fuel with 6-7 gallons reserve left.
Almost all of my driving is long distance highway and I have gotten pretty comfortable allowing mileage to venture into the 100 mile range after the fuel warning light comes on. My fear after reading about the park sense / fuel flash is if the dealer does it and I am not aware, that I will falsely think I have more fuel that I actually do when the fuel warning light comes on. However, I guess the computer flash did not apply to vehicles made in 2017 and later.