Gasoline Capacity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBQ Bob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I bought a 2022 PowerWagon in March. it is my fifth PowerWagon I’ve owned starting with a new 1975 model.
I’m puzzled about the fuel capacity. The equipment list says 32 gallon fuel tank. At 1/4 on the gauge, the low fuel warning light comes on but it will only take about 21 gallons to fill. I accidentally ran out of gas and could only put 25 gallons in after the one gallon from AAA. Anyone else with similar experience?

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab

Put your VIN in here and check to see what your equipment listing is. It will tell you what the size of the gas tank is.

SniperDroid

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have the same problem on my 2019 Bighorn, sticker reads 31 gallon tank option, but I can never get more than 28 gallons in it no matter how low I take the gauge. And the equipment listing reads 31 gallons, also.

Last edited:

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The gauges are set 1-3 gallons off, kinda like a safety stop thing,. Nothing new. Just like manual speedometers are neva true, unless they R certified and calibrated. They will always read higher than what U R actually running. I have a 26 gallon tank, but I can run it past what the 23 gallon gauge reads, it goes to E, but if I run it down hard, I will still have like 1.5 gallons left. I ran it hard on a trip once, till it read like 3 miles to empty, and I still could only get 24.5 gallons into my 26 gallon tank. Now this has been highly written about, but do not take me at gospel, this is just my own experience.

Gondul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have the 32 gallon tank.

Ran the truck until the "LOW" indicator showed up on the DTE Dial.
Drove another 40-ish miles before I ran out of gas... there was no sputtering or warning, it simple stopped running.
Waited 30 seconds or so and then hit the 'Start' button again... all it did was crank and did not fire up.

I put in 5 gallons out of the can I brought with me for this purpose and the truck started right up.
It was then a 2 mile drive to the gas station where I added 25.88 gallons of gas.

So just about 31 gallons put in the truck.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Mine has the 31 gallon tank and I have ran it down to about 20 miles to empty a few times and never was able to put more than 27 gallons in it. I assumed it just wouldn't pick up that last 3 or 4 gallons

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the 32 gallon tank.

Ran the truck until the "LOW" indicator showed up on the DTE Dial.
Drove another 40-ish miles before I ran out of gas... there was no sputtering or warning, it simple stopped running.
Waited 30 seconds or so and then hit the 'Start' button again... all it did was crank and did not fire up.

I put in 5 gallons out of the can I brought with me for this purpose and the truck started right up.
It was then a 2 mile drive to the gas station where I added 25.88 gallons of gas.

So just about 31 gallons put in the truck.
FWIW, I would never run a truck down to the point it was that low. Just too much work and pickup on the pump, and all the junk that over time accumulates in a tank. Also, I be too turkey (chicken) to run it dat low ne way, not like pushing that much weight, LOL. Heck, even on my Motorcycle, I never run it all the way down, even though it allegedly has a "reserve". But on new Bikes, there is no "petcock" that U turn to a reserve setting, so U just roll the dice on that. Not like pushing a 2200 lb bike either.

SniperDroid

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
This is a RAM "thing". I noticed the same on mine. I used Alpha OBD app and recalibrated the gauge. The stock settings had the wrong amount of Liters listed in the module. Now E really means Empty.
Looks like i need to make a trip to the dealer...

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Looks like i need to make a trip to the dealer...
Dealer probably won't be much help. I posted about it in a few threads. Heres one.

Ratman6161

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
This is a RAM "thing". I noticed the same on mine. I used Alpha OBD app and recalibrated the gauge. The stock settings had the wrong amount of Liters listed in the module. Now E really means Empty.
Ram thing? No, not really. I've been driving for 45 years an had many cars and trucks in that time. This is my first Ram but I've owned Ford, chevy, gmc, dodge, Nissan, Subaru, and mazda. I never had a gas guage on any of them that was really accurate. Usually when I get a new vehical, at some point I'll run it down to the point 2here the idiot light comes on, then fill up to see how big an idiot I was. I haven't done this in the Ram yet but I expect to yet the same result. I always suspected that manufacturers do this on purpose to keep idiots from running out.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Ram thing? No, not really. I've been driving for 45 years an had many cars and trucks in that time. This is my first Ram but I've owned Ford, chevy, gmc, dodge, Nissan, Subaru, and mazda. I never had a gas guage on any of them that was really accurate. Usually when I get a new vehical, at some point I'll run it down to the point 2here the idiot light comes on, then fill up to see how big an idiot I was. I haven't done this in the Ram yet but I expect to yet the same result. I always suspected that manufacturers do this on purpose to keep idiots from running out.

I didn't say it was exclusive to RAM. But out of all the vehicles I've owned, only Volkswagen got it right on my 1965 Type 1. The mechanical gauge does not have an E for empty but instead it has an R, for reserve. When it stops running, then you know it's empty.
Yes, none of them are spot on.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
So my low fuel light came on tonight. Had about 45 miles left till empty according to my readout. Filled it up and it took 23.958 gallons in a 31 gallon tank

Dannycameo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought a 2022 PowerWagon in March. it is my fifth PowerWagon I’ve owned starting with a new 1975 model.
I’m puzzled about the fuel capacity. The equipment list says 32 gallon fuel tank. At 1/4 on the gauge, the low fuel warning light comes on but it will only take about 21 gallons to fill. I accidentally ran out of gas and could only put 25 gallons in after the one gallon from AAA. Anyone else with similar experience?
I I'm having the exact same problem with a 2022 power wagon also bought in March.
About 3 to 4 weeks ago I ran it down to where or it said I had 0 km left and the fuel gauge was below E.
Drove at least another 15 minutes went through a drive-through then finally got to my local gas station thinking I wasn't going to make it.
And to my surprise it would only hold a 100L Which is 26.4 gallons. Wt?
There is no way there were 4 gallons left in that tank! The gauge was fully below E.
And as I said I drove around for at least another 15 minutes and idled for 10 in the drive-through Before making it to the gas station.
Consistently on road trips what it says on the gauge and what it tells me I have left according to gas mileage etc et cetera never has added up.
Yet this little demonstration of getting it down right Is past empty and then it only holding 26.4 gallons, Led me to believe there is no way this is a 31 gallon tank.
My Build sheet says 31 gallon tank.
Mine goes to the dealer tomorrow for a laundry list of issues that have been waiting since March.
The only thing I can do I suppose, is run it down again that low again and then take a video of it that low and then a video of me filling it, To document the whole thing.
Then show the dealer the video?
I'm just not overly that concerned I just found it funny that the original poster has the exact same truck, bought at the exact same time, having the exact same problem!

Dannycameo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So my low fuel light came on tonight. Had about 45 miles left till empty according to my readout. Filled it up and it took 23.958 gallons in a 31 gallon tank
Interesting
Maybe as one other person put it they're really is a "dummy reserve" as my dad used to call it.
That would mean once it says 0 and you're below the E, that you've still got 4 solid gallons left!

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Interesting
Maybe as one other person put it they're really is a "dummy reserve" as my dad used to call it.
That would mean once it says 0 and you're below the E, that you've still got 4 solid gallons left!
YEAH, but don't bet the possibility of getting stranded on what U think the gauge reads and what you think is left in the tank. I just hand calc on mpg, as the lie-o-meter may be pretty close, but never accurate, IMHO...

The most I have run down my 2019 DT Truck was at E, 5 miles to go and put in like 24.12 gallons in my 26 gallon tank. BTBH, I normally never run lower than 1/4 tank, these things weigh too much to push off a highway, LOL.

ADDED: I did complain to my Dealership about gauge. THEY told me, to bring in truck almost empty, they would drain tank, then fill to see size of tank, wat a Bunch of BS, it was just a story which I knew was BS, SA told me all he can do, as FCA not let them tinker and Dealership was not gonna do either. The ole guess what U have left game, which is why I always HAND CALC mileage and fuel if I am worried about it or on a trip, and leave the lie-o-meter where it be, lmao. Remember, you also have to consider idle time when warm up, etc, on the lie-o-meters reading, just hand calc, not difficult.

ALL ABOVE in my very lowly Humble Opinion.

CapeFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
I purchased my 2022 Longhorn Limited with the short bed in January. I ordered it with a 33 gallon tank and was billed for it on the invoice. So, on the first fill up with the DTE reading 35 miles, I was amazed I could only put in 23 gallons. I pulled out the owners manual. On page 477 it indicates 33 gallon tanks are only available with longbeds. So I went to the dealer. They put it on a lift and confirmed I had a 33 gallon tank. The service manager told me to expect I’ll likely have 4 to 5 gallons left in the tank when the screen says empty. In addition, if I’d been towing or in stop and go traffic and averaging say, 7 mpg, five gallons would take me another 35 miles. I’d like to have it fixed so distance to empty means just that!

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Guys I mentioned it in my post above but awhile ago I posted in 2 seperate posts on calibrating it using the AlphaOBD app on my android phone and an OBDII blutooth adapter.
In the body control module you need to correct Capacity Liters to 121 under Cluster, Vehconfig3, Ecuconfig4. Then under Cluster Calibration I used these values for each.
Screenshot_20201221-192405_OfficeSuite.jpg

Just a warning, read up about AlphaOBD if you plan on making these changes. Before any changes SAVE your STOCK settings and backup the file. Most people use google document to have it forever. This is for "just in case" you make a wrong change you can always go back.
Again, I know of NO dealer that can or will make these changes. If anyone has, let's hear it.
For example below is a screen shot of only one of the settings.
Screenshot_20201221-162714_AlfaOBD.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201221-162714_AlfaOBD.jpg
    Screenshot_20201221-162714_AlfaOBD.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 6

DrTron

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Then under Cluster Calibration I used these values for each.
May I ask why you chose 91% as "full" (as opposed to 100%)?
And do you know what the "LFW" value is? Is that when the warning light comes on? Like "Level Fuel Warning"?

Thanks!