Gear + and Gear -

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm new to the Dodge Truck family, and really enjoying mine. I do have a question about the Gear + and Gear - on the steering wheel. On the 5.7, I know you can press it up to the eight gears, but does the truck still automatically shift for you or do you have to shift with the buttons? Also, does this turn the 'Eco' mode off until you start the truck back up? I've heard using the Tow/Haul will also turn 'Eco' off. Sorry for the noob questions, just new to Dodge. Thanks.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
It will up shift “to highest gear selected” and downshift. It’s a “gear limiter”. Whatever number it’s on is the highest gear it will shift into. MDS is turned off yes and also off with tow/haul.

OP
OP
frankcastle865
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It will up shift “to highest gear selected” and downshift. It’s a “gear limiter”. Whatever number it’s on is the highest gear it will shift into. MDS is turned off yes and also off with tow/haul.
Thanks for the quick response! So the truck still does shift gears automatically, it just shifts it up to the highest gear I choose (8 being max). Does this setting need to be applied while in park?

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Thanks for the quick response! So the truck still does shift gears automatically, it just shifts it up to the highest gear I choose (8 being max). Does this setting need to be applied while in park?
Yes. Automatically. You need to be in D. It won’t allow you to select gear while in park. Lots of people manually select 8 to deactivate mds.

Pudge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon 75th
Engine
Hemi 6.4
And from what I understand, eco and mds are two different things. Eco is just an indicator that you are driving economically and not coupled with the mds. You don’t really know when mds is running, although you might be able to tell if you develop a good feel for it with hearing and spidy senses. Like 22 said, you can turn mds off manually and then you know it’s not running. But when it’s on, the eco light does not mean the mds is on. I think.

OP
OP
frankcastle865
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes. Automatically. You need to be in D. It won’t allow you to select gear while in park. Lots of people manually select 8 to deactivate mds.
Thanks! Another dumb question, but with truck in D, does it have to be a certain speed to select the 8 gears?

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
When in "D" the truck will shift based on the programmed parameters.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
On my '15 tow/haul does not disable MDS, only having a gear selected with +/- will disable MDS. I understand this to be the same of other 8-speed transmission trucks.
Could be. I had a 13’ with 6spd and now a 2500 so very well could be different with an 8spd

Longhorn1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Longhorn
Engine
Cummins SO
On my '15 tow/haul does not disable MDS, only having a gear selected with +/- will disable MDS. I understand this to be the same of other 8-speed transmission trucks.

Same with my '14, the MDS is not disabled when in tow/haul.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963