gear swap advice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

streettruck57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've been through a gear ratio calculator and did the math and all that to see what gear ratio is going to be most efficient for me, but I cant find the gears in that ratio for my truck.

I've got 3.55:1 in the rear currently, but I'm running a shorter tire than most. 315/30R22 on 22x12 wheels. After going through the calculator, it came out to a 2.56:1 and no one makes that for the chrysler rear ends.

Would I be alright with a 3.22? Or should I really try to go lower?

For some extra detail, I'm just trying to have a decent street setup and a fun daily driver, put a little extra HP to the wheels.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
You looking for power or speed. 3:55s with smaller tires will make you a rocket off the line. Different gears will make you faster but slower on the bottom end.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Tell us what you mean by a "decent street setup" and "fun daily driver". Do you want better acceleration? Do you want better fuel mileage? Do you want to race on the weekend? I assume you have a 6-speed trans. Please give us a little more to go on. Your ratios are pretty well confined to 3.21-3.55-3.92, 4.10, or 4.56. Generally speaking the higher the number the faster the acceleration and the worst the gas mileage----but not always
Jay

OP
OP
S

streettruck57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Tell us what you mean by a "decent street setup" and "fun daily driver". Do you want better acceleration? Do you want better fuel mileage? Do you want to race on the weekend? I assume you have a 6-speed trans. Please give us a little more to go on. Your ratios are pretty well confined to 3.21-3.55-3.92, 4.10, or 4.56. Generally speaking the higher the number the faster the acceleration and the worst the gas mileage----but not always
Jay
All around I'd like the truck to be faster, drivetrain mods included, but I don't plan on racing. Maybe a track day in the future just to see 1/4 mile times but that would be it. I'm willing to sacrifice gas mileage as my commute to work right now isn't terrible. I just want to have something that's fun to make a few pulls on the highway with. And yes, you're correct, I have a 65rfe

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
While 3.55 is a good all-around gear, if it were mine I'd go with a 3.92 just cause I think it would be more fun---but remember your shorter tires are going to have an effect on the overall performance.
Jay

OP
OP
S

streettruck57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
While 3.55 is a good all-around gear, if it were mine I'd go with a 3.92 just cause I think it would be more fun---but remember your shorter tires are going to have an effect on the overall performance.
Jay
Do you think a 3.92 would be too much? What do you mean by affect overall performance?

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The bigger and taller your tires are the more power it takes to make them roll. That is why you see guys with 4x4's that have huge tires on them change their gear ratio to a lower gear so they won't lose performance. Tire size also affects your final gear ratio. Didn't you say you had some sort of a chart that will allow you to see what changes different size tires make? 3.92's being too much--I don't think so, I think they will be fun to drive--practical-probably not-fun--yep I think so---LOL
Jay

OP
OP
S

streettruck57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The bigger and taller your tires are the more power it takes to make them roll. That is why you see guys with 4x4's that have huge tires on them change their gear ratio to a lower gear so they won't lose performance. Tire size also affects your final gear ratio. Didn't you say you had some sort of a chart that will allow you to see what changes different size tires make? 3.92's being too much--I don't think so, I think they will be fun to drive--practical-probably not-fun--yep I think so---LOL
Jay
thanks for the advice, I want to make the change soon, but the yukon LSD kit is $$$ hahaha need a few more paychecks first

OP
OP
S

streettruck57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check with Matt at Moe's Performance. He is a preferred vendor on this forum and his prices are really competitive. He has the gears and also the install kit.
Jay
where can I find matt? im still new here and dont know my way around completely

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
All around I'd like the truck to be faster, drivetrain mods included, but I don't plan on racing. Maybe a track day in the future just to see 1/4 mile times but that would be it. I'm willing to sacrifice gas mileage as my commute to work right now isn't terrible. I just want to have something that's fun to make a few pulls on the highway with. And yes, you're correct, I have a 65rfe

Faster top speed or faster acceleration?

If you want to hit 200mph ([emoji16]) you will need a lower number gear. If you want to have fun racing it around like on a track you may want a bigger number.

All depends on the tire size too.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Last edited: