GENERAL Tires. Thoughts on this brand

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

phil frost

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I ran 37x12.50x18 Grabber X3s on my 2014 Ford F250 Super Duty. There were great in all weather conditions and wore nice.

I am running 35x12.50x17 X3s on my 2018 Power Wagon and I still love them. Once these are wore out I am going to go with 37" Grabber X3s again.

Like any other mud terrain, you will need to rotate them every 3 - 4k miles so they wear evenly.

I would recommend them for sure.

not that you asked, but I ran Cooper STT's before, they were good, but sucked in the rain once they started to wear... not enough siping.

Hope that helps.

Gremlin4x

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I ran the X3s on my Toyota FJ and loved them. Put about 20k on them before I sold the rig and they still had around half the tread left. No experience with them in snow and ice but they worked great all over Arizona and southern Utah. Even as heavy as I ran the FJ I don’t think it was close to what our Power Wagons weigh so I don’t know how much my opinion really helps. As soon as funds permit I’ll be replacing the duratracs with some 37” tires... probably some Generals!

818630EC-9D71-4C11-9A3A-6155ADEAC85B.jpeg

BrewCrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Here is the answer i received from General Tire on PSI recommendations and PLY rating.

Capture.JPG

OP
OP
ct7212

ct7212

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for all of the info from all of you guys, big help in my decision. I ended up going with 35's in the Grabber x3. So far, love them but I've only driven about 30 miles lol. 35's should have came factory on the PW. I personally like the red letters up against the red lettering on the side of the truck. IMG_8634.jpeg

OP
OP
ct7212

ct7212

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Great info on this video if you have the time to watch it.

BrewCrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
The 10 plies on the old bias ply tires were made of cotton. The X3 doesn't use this outdated technology, but it probably has both stronger polyester and steel belts, therefore, the 10 ply answer given is non-applicable. It has a 3 ply sidewall vs the 2 ply of the A/Tx. As stated in the video it's the air pressure that holds up the vehicle, not the tire. A Load Range E tire holds more air pressure than a Load Range D in the same tire size, regardless of the actual amount of plies.

Yep 100% agree. That was just the response I received and wanted to share. Regardless it looks like alot of Overland guys run the ATX without any issues.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Mountain Man GrandMesa! I picture you with a big thick beard. And suspenders. Do you wear suspenders?

I agree. If load E is available then put them on. Thicker side wall also helps if you have to drive on a flat to get of the road or trail.
Corvette has run flats so no need to have a spare tire if you can drive 30-50 miles on a flat.

Last edited:

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Your description matches my nearest neighbor right down his worn out boots with dog chewed off laces.

I'm cleaned shaven. Yes, I most definitely wear my tall size Arctic lined suspenders when I am outdoors in the extreme cold (temperatures near or below zero Fahrenheit). Otherwise, it's Carhartt double front dungaree pants.
Haha. Thanks

...I thought I could derail the topic at hand since the OP picked out his tires.
Though I’m in the market for tires too. The General made the list though I’m leaning towards the Toyo or Cooper Pros 37”

chopstewie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi v8 gas
I’ve had general grabber ATX in 275 60 20 since the very week they came out last year. I have 25k on them and they are wearing very well and perform superbly on the road, in rain, dirt, and mud. Gonna get another set when the time comes. Although the new Goodyear UltraTerrain tires have caught my eye.

Narg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
Tire shops and dealers seem to all hate these tires, at least in my neck of the woods. I've driven a few trucks with them, and thought the ride was pretty good.

Munqee

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 SLT Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve had general grabber ATX in 275 60 20 since the very week they came out last year. I have 25k on them and they are wearing very well and perform superbly on the road, in rain, dirt, and mud. Gonna get another set when the time comes. Although the new Goodyear UltraTerrain tires have caught my eye.

I just put on the UltraTerrain, then I drove them 600 miles on freeway from Billings to SLC, they were barely louder than the cheap crap stock all season that came with the truck when I got it new off the lot. It sits a little bit higher, the speedo is slightly off about 1-2mph in the higher end of 70-90, you are going faster than it shows. The gas mileage is a little worse but you have to expect that pushing more rubber.

I have yet to hit bad weather or offroad but I LOVE them. I cant wait to get the Bilsteins put on in a couple of weeks. I love the way they look, the ride, and they really are a quiet tire for how meaty they are. If they droned, I would hate them and I would say so.

Buzz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7 pullin the War Wagon
I live in the northeast. Last winter was the first with my Generals. Did not even notice it snowed. I now have 6500 miles on them. Nice quite ride, wearing in fine. I will get another set when these are retired. Oh..

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use General Grabber STX and they are damn fine tires. Also use BFG Rugged Terran on another truck and they are really good.

Poncherello

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 1500, I just put the ATX tires, stock size 275/60R20 = 33" tire. Handles dry and wet roads great. This Friday we may have snow in the forecast, so I'll see how they handle. I went from the SRA's to Yoko Geolander GA015 both P rated tires to the ATX an LT but D rated. I wish these tires came stock on my truck. I also replaced the stock Mopar brakes with Power Stop Z-36, what an improvement as well.