GENERAL Tires. Thoughts on this brand

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ct7212

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Guys I have really been flirting with the idea of mounting up a set up 35x12.50r17 Grabber X3's or Grabber ATX's. Anyone have experience with these tires? I know they're made by Continental and the marketing around them is pretty impressive. I'm curious what real word experiences ya'll may have with mileage, durability, offroad performance and ultimately on road performance. Additionally, if you have pics please post em up, I haven't seen a pair in person on our PW's.

Last edited:

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mike Key (boldadventures/offroadtreks), the guy who pretty much got the power wagons in moab going mainstream, has both.... pretty sure he has enjoyed them so far.

OP
OP
ct7212

ct7212

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have seen nothing but good comments about them and it is down to the generals or stt pro and honestly I like the red letter look lol

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
Generals are awesome tires. So are the milestar Patagonia m/t. I like the milestar's because they are 1/2 the price of the big popular name brands.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

BrewCrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
I LOVE my Generals. I drive up and down mountain roads everyday for work and i tear through the softer MTs or even the Falken ATs. Then Generals have held up amazing and they kick butt in snow.

OP
OP
ct7212

ct7212

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I LOVE my Generals. I drive up and down mountain roads everyday for work and i tear through the softer MTs or even the Falken ATs. Then Generals have held up amazing and they kick butt in snow.
do you have the ATxs or the X3?

OP
OP
ct7212

ct7212

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The General Grabber AT3 is sold, but not in the USA probably due to Cooper sells their AT3 here. My eldest daughter will be purchasing the ATx hopefully soon for this already arrived winter in Colorado. It's a 2 ply carcass as near as I can determine. I would stick with a 3 ply like the X3 which will be my next set of shoes on my PW.

https://www.generaltire-tyres.com/car/tyres/grabber-at3
That is the biggest caveat to the AT's that I am reading.

BrewCrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
The General Grabber AT3 is sold, but not in the USA probably due to Cooper sells their AT3 here. My eldest daughter will be purchasing the ATx hopefully soon for this already arrived winter in Colorado. It's a 2 ply carcass as near as I can determine. I would stick with a 3 ply like the X3 which will be my next set of shoes on my PW.

https://www.generaltire-tyres.com/car/tyres/grabber-at3

the X3's are load range "E" or 10ply and i believe the ATX's are the same (At least on the 35x12.5's). Both are super durable tires. I drive over shale rock slides almost daily. These sharp rocks destroy alot of normal tires but the Generals just keep rolling.

BrewCrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Yes, I agree that both the A/Tx and the X3 have the same Load Range E tire capabilities of which is equivalent to the old bias tire construction load carrying capability of a 10 ply. They should be able to carry equal loads under the same tire pressure. Unfortunately, the radial tire's load range no longer equates to the actual number of plies in the tire carcass.

The tire carcass of the X3 is stated to be 3 ply durability, whereas, the A/Tx is stated to have off-road durability. If they don't state it's a 3 ply, then it's more than likely a 2 ply or even just a 1 ply due to each extra ply adds additional costs to the tire manufacturer in material, labor, and shipping. One would assume that they would advertise it as having a 3 ply durability, if they spent extra money to make it a tougher tire.

https://generaltire.com/tires/light-trucksuv/grabber-x3

https://generaltire.com/tires/light-trucksuv/grabber-atx

Interesting...

I shot them an email real quick to see what ply their 35x12.5R20's are just to clear it all up.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
I think that is what I meant to type, not the AT3. Thanks for the info!
I’m that case, I had these A/Ts on my f250 and towed 12k and took many trips to the hunting lodge. Traded to the PW so I never saw them through, but No complaints here.

OP
OP
ct7212

ct7212

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for all the info guys, I think I am going to pull the trigger on the x3's . just seems like a safer bet and I really really like the red letters!

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/wheels-tires/1803-first-look-general-tire-grabber-atx-all-terrain/

The last photo of the 35 12.50R17 Load Range E A/Tx states the number of sidewall plies in both the A/Tx and of the X3. I have had zero issues with the 2 ply sidewall on my 1/2 ton 4x4 extended cab pickup, but then it weighs in at nearly 1 ton less than my PW of which I run 3 ply tires.
That’s the kicker on the 2500’s. They’re heavy! I’ll get jeepers tell me I need to be single digits off road. It ain’t happening. I still think there’s a fine line on the heavy trucks airing down. Cause when they go low they still put tons of pressure on the tire. 30ish seems to work for me. 20psi didn’t lol

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I go down to 20psi in the dunes going slow and taking it easy. But if ***** getting serious I wouldnt go quite that low.