Getting rid of the shark fin antenna?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Thanks, to all of you.
I am constantly impressed with how knowledgeable you all are and kind, for sharing that knowledge.

Well, except for GT Yankee, of course.

J/K, M8ee, You;re terrific too.

did ifnd this. Seriously thinking of removing mine for the flater version. I do not need my truck to phoen home, for any reason.

file:///C:/Users/otef1/Downloads/2014%20Ram%20Satellite%20Radio%20&%20Cellular%20Antenna%20Relocation%20Guidelines.pdf

Last edited:

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
did ifnd this. Seriously thinking of removing mine for the flater version. I do not need my truck to phoen home, for any reason.

file:///C:/Users/otef1/Downloads/2014%20Ram%20Satellite%20Radio%20&%20Cellular%20Antenna%20Relocation%20Guidelines.pdf

Well, if I ever drop by your house to visit, I'll know exactly where to go on your PC to find the pdf file you mentioned above. :cool:

This website does not allow uploading of PDF type files, at least not using the insert image button.
I had to test it and received the notification below. And the insert link button is strictly to upload a url, AFAIK.

invalid file type.jpg

I can attach a PDF by using the attach file button and when users click the attachment, a save file window will appear. This will not insert the image inline onto the post.

Last edited:

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Well, if I ever drop by your house to visit, I'll know exactly where to go on your PC to find the pdf file you mentioned above. :cool:

This website does not allow uploading of PDF type files, at least not using the insert image button.
I had to test it and received the notification below. And the insert link button is strictly to upload a url, AFAIK.

View attachment 516434

I can attach a PDF by using the attach file button and when users click the attachment, a save file window will appear. This will not insert the image inline onto the post.

Swing on by, anytime.
Much nicer, in person.
Wife;s standing by, watching me.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you gain any remarkable benefits from your gambling efforts?
It actually remembers the volume of the devices. Apple would always reset to 15 on EVERY prompt, Android would reset to 15 after every radio "reboot" (when it actually shutdown. IE gas station for fuel no, but dinner, yes.) Boot logo/loop is a little nicer, but I can't honestly remember what I like better about it.)

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I glanced at the doc, makes me thing if I want to change it, I gotta fish the wire all the way to the radio. Any idea if that is true? Don't want to do that. If the connector is just like 3" in from the antenna, I need a part number for the puck. It's way down in the radio... I'll leave the shark.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
My son had a 2013 with a flat "thing" (not sure what, if anything, it served other than maybe plug the hole if you didn't have satellite/GPS - which he didn't). I sold him my 2015 with the shark fin, and we swapped them out so that it would fit in his garage.

This says to me that you should be able to get a Mopar part that is flat (maybe 1/4" tall?) and will fit in the hole.

Or you could always use duct tape...

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I glanced at the doc, makes me thing if I want to change it, I gotta fish the wire all the way to the radio. Any idea if that is true? Don't want to do that. If the connector is just like 3" in from the antenna, I need a part number for the puck. It's way down in the radio... I'll leave the shark.
Nope, there is a short wire with a fakra connector on the replacement antenna. It's accessible from the driver side rear corner under the headliner. You need to drop that corner of the headliner a little ro access it. Can be swapped easily within 30-minutes to an hour.

This is helpful in understanding how the wires are connected for the antenna (multiple segments/connectors).

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
I think its jsut a pig tail type of connection near rear of the truck. Most connections are. Mopar tends to use just the one loom, with all wiring for eveyr option and wht your truck does come with,t hey jsut wrap up the ends.

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think its just a pig tail type of connection near rear of the truck. Most connections are. Mopar tends to use just the one loom, with all wiring for every option and what your truck does come with they just wrap up the ends.
I've put together there are at least 2 looms. As a lot of the express/tradesmen seem to be missing things. Or at least if they do have the plug in the location, it isn't always connected on the other end. But I think a lot of the express/tradesmen are missing the plugs at the rear seats for the rear floor lighting/heated rear seats (as an example), or the hood light. If they have it, it doesn't work. Where as my Rebel seems to have the "limited" loom, so so far, everything seems to have power, just maybe not the hardware.

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This bugs me all to pieces. I have to MUTE the GPS on CarPlay as it's so annoying. How do I get beta updates to rid myself of this?!!

Having read through the thread a little, I suddenly am not 100% that I did the 39.6, I might have done the 34.2. If you are willing to wait until the weekend, I might remember to check. Driving the company truck to/from work, because why not use their truck miles/wear.

I'm planning to do some work on the truck this weekend, and the wife wants to go do some shopping the ram would probably be better for (new baby coming, and we are in a better financial situation then when our first was born.) So I should be in the ram at some point. Just wish "maintenance mode" didn't lock the damn heater to "HI" the whole time I was in it.

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can anyone confirm if the '18 Rebel Crew can take 05064973AB? Seeing some mixed information online.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Can anyone confirm if the '18 Rebel Crew can take 05064973AB? Seeing some mixed information online.
Looks right to me. An easy way to confirm is to look under the headliner in the drivers rear corner and if you see the mustard colored plug you are good to go. I'm 99.9% sure the answer is yes...

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I believe i posted a way to access & remove the shark fin
back in Post #12 above