Going to paint my Engine Cover, how to take it off?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Maybe they will be here in time for your next truck---LOL
Jay

JHayez1911

US NAVY (RET)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Maybe they will be here in time for your next truck---LOL
Jay
Hey Jay I’ve just learned the art of patience in all my years in the military. Ordered the billet tech products 3 weeks ago. I look at the product updates often. The Jazz Blue Metallic hasn’t even been sent out yet. Lol. So I know it will be a wait. Ordered the Throttle Body was suppose to be 7-10 days Weds will be 3 weeks haven’t shipped yet. That’s just the way it goes. So I’m hope what they say good things comes to those that wait is true. Lol

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They will be worth the wait!!!!! I'm waiting with you--LOL
Jay

JHayez1911

US NAVY (RET)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They will be worth the wait!!!!! I'm waiting with you--LOL
Jay
I appreciate you waiting with me Jay. Now that’s funny. Yea waiting just makes you think of other ****. I’m a few key strokes away from that 3G Customz Battery cover. Next I will be looking at radiator hoses possibly some nice braided lines etc. Haven’t seen allot other that the billet tech dress up kit.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you find any stainless braided radiator hoses or lines for our trucks let me know--I haven't been able to find any Somme people make a "sheath" but I can't find the actual hoses.
Jay

JHayez1911

US NAVY (RET)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you find any stainless braided radiator hoses or lines for our trucks let me know--I haven't been able to find any Somme people make a "sheath" but I can't find the actual hoses.
Jay
Jay honestly I was going to PM you and ask you about underhood goodies. You know more about these trucks and dressing them up than I can ever hope to know. I’m learning from all you guys that’s been doing it along time. Have you seen or heard of these radiator hoses. I’d like to know your opinion. Imagine that. A Sailor asking a Marine for advice. Lol

BFC2629C-106E-4756-B2F0-22BE1F048394.jpeg

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
here is how I did mine:

https://www.ramforum.com/posts/1260424/

First, I got some of those plastic gloves, not unlike what you see in a doctors office. Skin has oils and those oils will cause paint issues. Fish eyes and the like.

Next, I used a quality paint thinner and a clean linen rag.
Old T-shirts work well.
Then used those, liberally doused with paint thinner, to clean the entire engine cover. Once cleaned, allowed it to dry.

Grabbed a can of plastic adhesive promoter, which can be bought at wal-mart or automotive parts store. (NOTE: Try to stay within the same brand for all your paints. Just makes things a little easier, since they are designed to work together, I do not recommend one, over another.)

Sprayed very light coats, on the well cleaned engine cover, according to directions on the can.

Figured it was far better to lay down the adhesive promoter, LIGHTLY, LIGHTLY, LIGHTLY. And allowing it plenty of time to dry, properly.

I want that STICK, to the engine cover, so my paint can stick, to it.

Once the adhesive promoter was dry. I then did the same with the Primer.
Applying light coats, according to the can itself.

Did more than a few coats of Primer, since I was going to sand this down, to try and smooth out the texture of the engine cover. If you look closely, it has a slightly bumpy surface. I wanted it smooth as a baby's bottom.

After sanding the primer, needed to re-clean the engine cover, as stated above. Then applied final coat of primer.

After that final coat of primer dried, started in on paint.

Now, some guys have gone all out, using lots of colors, some have even done fine artwork. I;m not an Artist and figured two colors was plenty. The color of my truck and good old black, everything matches black.

Masked off & painted the middle section, first.

Once dry, taped it off and painted the sides.
(NOTE: If you are planning on doing two different colors, in your middle section. Say, Gloss black and flat black, this is the time to do second color.)

Once the completed middle section was done and dry, taped it off.

Simply too my time, used good paint tape.

Letters could have been bought, on ebay , as perfect fit stickers but then it is only the top of the letter that has color. I decided to tape off the letters allowing me to get paint on the sides of the letters too.

Once everything was painted, clear coat everything.
I used four coats of paint, followed by four coats of clear.

Just take your time, sand between costs to remove the bumpiness of the material and provide smooth look and feel.

make sure to clean , just prior to painting, with paint thinner and old Tshirt

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Jay

I can build the actual hoses Jay. It’s not real hard and use the anodized AN fittings.

- The Blue Mule

JHayez1911

US NAVY (RET)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just curious how the painted engine covers are holding up over time. How much does the heat of the engine affect the paint.

ETX Ram

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Longhorn Southfork Edition
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I want to paint my engine cover and don't have the service manual to show how it comes off?
Does it pop off or is there bolts holding it down. I couldn't tell by looking.

Thanks in advance.

@jack67 - really like the idea presented on painting your engine cover. Thinking I might want to try this myself when time allows. Would appreciate pics of your project progress! Following this thread now.

Lee

OP
OP
jack67

jack67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
here is how I did mine:

https://www.ramforum.com/posts/1260424/

First, I got some of those plastic gloves, not unlike what you see in a doctors office. Skin has oils and those oils will cause paint issues. Fish eyes and the like.

Next, I used a quality paint thinner and a clean linen rag.
Old T-shirts work well.
Then used those, liberally doused with paint thinner, to clean the entire engine cover. Once cleaned, allowed it to dry.

Grabbed a can of plastic adhesive promoter, which can be bought at wal-mart or automotive parts store. (NOTE: Try to stay within the same brand for all your paints. Just makes things a little easier, since they are designed to work together, I do not recommend one, over another.)

Sprayed very light coats, on the well cleaned engine cover, according to directions on the can.

Figured it was far better to lay down the adhesive promoter, LIGHTLY, LIGHTLY, LIGHTLY. And allowing it plenty of time to dry, properly.

I want that STICK, to the engine cover, so my paint can stick, to it.

Once the adhesive promoter was dry. I then did the same with the Primer.
Applying light coats, according to the can itself.

Did more than a few coats of Primer, since I was going to sand this down, to try and smooth out the texture of the engine cover. If you look closely, it has a slightly bumpy surface. I wanted it smooth as a baby's bottom.

After sanding the primer, needed to re-clean the engine cover, as stated above. Then applied final coat of primer.

After that final coat of primer dried, started in on paint.

Now, some guys have gone all out, using lots of colors, some have even done fine artwork. I;m not an Artist and figured two colors was plenty. The color of my truck and good old black, everything matches black.

Masked off & painted the middle section, first.

Once dry, taped it off and painted the sides.
(NOTE: If you are planning on doing two different colors, in your middle section. Say, Gloss black and flat black, this is the time to do second color.)

Once the completed middle section was done and dry, taped it off.

Simply too my time, used good paint tape.

Letters could have been bought, on ebay , as perfect fit stickers but then it is only the top of the letter that has color. I decided to tape off the letters allowing me to get paint on the sides of the letters too.

Once everything was painted, clear coat everything.
I used four coats of paint, followed by four coats of clear.

Just take your time, sand between costs to remove the bumpiness of the material and provide smooth look and feel.

make sure to clean , just prior to painting, with paint thinner and old Tshirt
Thanks for taking the time to give instructions! I copied to MS Word.

OP
OP
jack67

jack67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Another question... The engine bay was flawless last year, but now pretty dirty. I want to wash it at the hand car wash before taking off the engine cover. Is there any particular instructions to washing the 57L Hemi... anything to cover with plastic, engine degreasers, etc? With my Corvettes I had, I had to cover the distributors, top of carb etc. I also left the engine running, just in case it wouldn't start. Always worked for me.

Thanks!

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Another question... The engine bay was flawless last year, but now pretty dirty. I want to wash it at the hand car wash before taking off the engine cover. Is there any particular instructions to washing the 57L Hemi... anything to cover with plastic, engine degreasers, etc? With my Corvettes I had, I had to cover the distributors, top of carb etc. I also left the engine running, just in case it wouldn't start. Always worked for me.

Thanks!

Since Electronic Ignition, I have not worried about getting anything wet.
SPray with power wand and spray it hard. Spend time to get everything clean.
I let the engine run. One time I heard the motor start to bog down, just once, and I was spraying the heck out of the manifold and got some underneath the air breather. That one time was back in the late 70's.

OP
OP
jack67

jack67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Since Electronic Ignition, I have not worried about getting anything wet.
SPray with power wand and spray it hard. Spend time to get everything clean.
I let the engine run. One time I heard the motor start to bog down, just once, and I was spraying the heck out of the manifold and got some underneath the air breather. That one time was back in the late 70's.
Should I buy engine degreasers of any kind to spray before washing?

ETX Ram

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Longhorn Southfork Edition
Engine
6.4L Hemi

Hey Jack - I've never used anything other than Simple Green or Purple Power. If you use the PP then I would not use full strength.

With that said, we have real detailing guys on here that will hopefully chip in with the latest and greatest products to use. Good luck and let is know how you come out.

Lee

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in

Not sure what you are talking about: Your Engine Cover, prior to painting or Your Engine Bay.

My Favorite De-greaser is Dawn soap, liberally applied to cold engine bay.
Let sit, then wash off.

As far as Engine Cover, 1 st step is Thinner, applied with T-shirts, let dry.
Do not touch the Cover, once cleaned with Thinner.
No matter how you clean the thing, you must clean engine cover with paint thinner to get off any residue from whatever.
Touch the Cover, just slightly, with ungloved hand, Got to re-clean the Cover with Thinner.
Reason i start off with thinner. Nothing else is as good and THinner is last step b4 plastic bonding agent gets tacked onto Cover, then Plastic Primer gets tacked onto Plastic Bonding Agent.

Hope I answered your Question.