Good aftermarket lug nuts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
For those who insist on caps, even worst case and grab tool wont work, it is an easy dyi. Also have a tire repair kit, you can fix 90% of flats w/o even taking the tire off in the first place. If you can find what caused the flat and it is small, pliars and repair kit back on the road faster then changing it.

1 MEAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT-MDS
NAPA has solid (no tin cap) make sure you ask for them in their "problem solver" line. They also sell OE replacement with the tin caps on them. They usually offer all kinds to fit lots of different vehicles. And there seems to be "NAPA'S" everywhere.

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Chrysler updated the design like 20 years ago so the stainless steel cap is 'crimped' over a ridge on the lug nut. So they don't fall off. The key is to NOT use an impact wrench on them -- Ever, and the caps won't distort. They'll keep their shape & last and look great a forever (theoretically) if treated 'right'. I put a daub of RTV around the base of mine (at the crimp) to keep moisture out.

Just ask your tire/brake shop to remove/replace the tires with a hand wrench. I noticed quite a few shops around here do that now. Don't let some monkey with a 900# impact wrench murder your lug nuts....

That’s a wives tale about the caps only failing when using an impact. I learned my lesson on my 2nd gen, so the ‘14 was always done my hand and still spun about 5 of them

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
Make sure when buying new lugs the seats are the correct type for your wheels: (1) cone or tapered seat, (2) mag or shank seat, and (3) radius or ball seat.

8F8DB93A-E1A8-4FBE-98CF-B73334D2EAED.gif

I have used a new set of the splines almost every two years some have better rust protection than others.

I always run a thread chaser in them as not to make my wheel studs threads become damaged or dirty from debris (Again some sets are better than others)
(Make sure its a “thread chaser” not a “thread tap”)

You should be able to turn the lugs on your wheel studs by hand before torquing them down to spec

If you use any lube, even a little anti-seize, the torque specs change.

Wmjohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
I rotate tires every 10,000 on my '16, and have now had it done with an impact 11 times. The lugs look just fine.

This last time, the shop said the lugs were swollen and needed replacing, however i was easily able to slip a 7/8 socket over all of them. Go figure, and it was an oil change place, and the did not try to sell me new ones.

If later i do need some I'll try the solid lugs with no caps on Amazon for about $25.

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've changed mine out also.i noticed the socket was getting a little"snug"on a couple,then I read somewhere(on here maybe) that they swell due to rust,spinning,stretching,whatever the case may be.i'm not having at any of that kind of frustration.
Tires get rotated at every oil change so somewhere around 5k.sometimes by me sometimes by the tire store.(and I watch them like a hawk and they know it).they do as I ask so I tip them well.
Impact gun every time ,torque wrench for a final by 2 different techs.
I found mine on ebay,can't remember who or wat kind but they've been fine so far.6-7years.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Gorilla!!
I went with the solid black ones with a key lock within a week of buying my truck in June 2019...
They are still in mint condition with no rust or damage, and this will be their 4th season going back on.

Never understood why OEM's send their blacked out vehicles with cheap capped shiny lug nutz... (heck... I even painted the chrome ring at the base of my antenna so there's no chrome on my truck).
But, I do appreciate shiny chrome on the old classic vehicles.

As others have said... torque to spec, and then re-torque after a couple hundred Km's, especially on aluminum rims.

Attachments

• 20220512_094134.jpg
    20220512_094134.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
OP
OP
Panduh

Panduh

Reaction score
Engine
5.7 hemi
That's the thing - tire shop used impact wrench and fubared my stock nuts. I don't mind a little cosmetic rust, but can't count on others not ruining the capped nuts no matter how much you remind them. McGards seem pretty decent if a little pricey.

OP
OP
Panduh

Panduh

Reaction score
Engine
5.7 hemi
Corollary question: how do you remove the steel cap once it's messed up and spinning on the lug? Or how do you just remove the entire lug at that point? I imagine an extractor would just spin along with the cap.

Stefan N

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport
Engine
Corollary question: how do you remove the steel cap once it's messed up and spinning on the lug? Or how do you just remove the entire lug at that point? I imagine an extractor would just spin along with the cap.
My nut and hat got stuck in the socket so I removed the nut from the hat and ordered McGard. Don't think the hat can just spin free on the nut when they both are hexagon shaped

7DalBX3_knZVIhp3Wu-4wqg=w1249-h937-s-no?authuser=0.jpg

Lobb80fQInDlAfj6LLRkS6A=w1249-h937-s-no?authuser=0.jpg

Nut without "tin" hat
eL1Ky0crA1uPZHhgnBZs3YA=w1249-h937-s-no?authuser=0.jpg

OP
OP
Panduh

Panduh

Reaction score
Engine
5.7 hemi
Stefan N, how did you get the "hat" off the nut? Mine just spin but still seem attached somehow.

Stefan N

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport
Engine
Stefan N, how did you get the "hat" off the nut? Mine just spin but still seem attached somehow.
I don't remember, but the pipe wrench is on the table in the pic and the nut has marks from it, so I'm guessing the pipe wrench

1142090S.jpg

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yep, rusting under the cap is one weakness in rust/salt areas as oulined above. But as others (and I) have mentioned, preventable in with an early daub of RTV.

OP
OP
Panduh

Panduh

Reaction score
Engine
5.7 hemi
Stick the nut in a vise and use a small chisel to tap the crimp open,the tin covering should pry off then.j
Yep, rusting under the cap is one weakness in rust/salt areas as oulined above. But as others (and I) have mentioned, preventable in with an early daub of RTV.
My spinning cap nuts are still firmly on the studs on the wheel. The caps are deformed and rounded looking. Just try to hammer a socket on over it to remove the whole thing? Looks like I might also be able to punch out the front of the cap and rip it off.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
My nut and hat got stuck in the socket so I removed the nut from the hat and ordered McGard. Don't think the hat can just spin free on the nut when they both are hexagon shaped

View attachment 517479

View attachment 517480

Nut without "tin" hat
View attachment 517481

Yup, the same thing happened my 09 when I was doing the brakes and said F these nuts. lol

I soon got aftermarket wheels and went with some lug nuts off ebay. Which they will also work with stock wheels too.