Gooseneck Ball Removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jason157E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings HO
Good morning, all! You folks have been so helpful with my other issues I thought I would include everyone with my latest calamity! My 2019 3500 has the max tow package. I am the second owner and believe the original owner was a Hotshot who used both the gooseneck, as well as the fifth wheel. When I purchased the truck (from a dealer) the fifth wheel hitch was installed and my only concern as we have a large fifth wheel RV on the way. I have an appointment with the local Line-X installer, this afternoon, for a spray in bedliner so I removed the fifth wheel hitch. I never took notice, but the ball is still installed! It was mostly covered by the fifth wheel. Now, apparently this has been stuck in there for some time, and the need to install the fifth wheel was pressing, so instead of "due diligence" and removing the ball...he found it easier to take (what looks like a cutoff wheel) and cut it off! See attached pics. Clearly, this makes an already suck job even worse. So, I am throwing it out to the forum for suggestions of how to remove the remnants of the ball. If I need to drop the hitch, from beneath to facilitate, I will save that project for the spring when it's warmer, but I will make the attempt. That said, I appreciate everyone's thoughts...TIA!

Attachments

• 20220217_094752.jpg
    20220217_094752.jpg
    378.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 20220217_094820.jpg
    20220217_094820.jpg
    344.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 20220217_094711.jpg
    20220217_094711.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 34

randyr6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
My 3500 had what is called a hideaway ball and looks like what you may have. Mine drops into the slot as it looks like yours does but under the truck the square hole pattern has a cross bar about a 1/4 of inch round that keeps the ball in the square tube. If the locking pin is pulled back (mine was in the tire wheel well on the driver's side above tire--pull it towards fender and turn it left/right to unlock the ball. before getting under the truck. Once that is done, while under the truck use a hammer and heavy-duty screw drive to tap up on the balls square form, it sits loosely so water and dirt will fall through but rust doesn't, so it my take a little hammering to get it loose. I greased mine and it stopped the rust but all the dirt accumulated around the balls frame and just created another issue, keep that in mind when you replace the ball.
It also looks as if yours may be a round type ball holder and not square-either way you must find the ball lock and unlock it before you can remove the ball. It may just be a pin driven into the ball under the truck. check around the ball holder, doesn't look like you have much room to hammer it out and those split pins are tough to get started much less remove
One more option is, looking at it from under the truck is it possibly a screw in ball? If that's the case a pipe wrench and a hammer will get that out, must be something as good as a pipe wrench because of the teeth they have for gripping.

Last edited:

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
My 3500 had what is called a hideaway ball and looks like what you may have. Mine drops into the slot as it looks like yours does but under the truck the square hole pattern has a cross bar about a 1/4 of inch round that keeps the ball in the square tube. If the locking pin is pulled back (mine was in the tire wheel well on the driver's side above tire--pull it towards fender and turn it left/right to unlock the ball. before getting under the truck. Once that is done, while under the truck use a hammer and heavy-duty screw drive to tap up on the balls square form, it sits loosely so water and dirt will fall through but rust doesn't, so it my take a little hammering to get it loose. I greased mine and it stopped the rust but all the dirt accumulated around the balls frame and just created another issue, keep that in mind when you replace the ball.
It also looks as if yours may be a round type ball holder and not square-either way you must find the ball lock and unlock it before you can remove the ball. It may just be a pin driven into the ball under the truck. check around the ball holder, doesn't look like you have much room to hammer it out and those split pins are tough to get started much less remove
One more option is, looking at it from under the truck is it possibly a screw in ball? If that's the case a pipe wrench and a hammer will get that out, must be something as good as a pipe wrench because of the teeth they have for gripping.

Square hole with a locking bale and pin is a B&W turnover ball. The factory puck setup has a round hole. The Curt ball has the latch at the top of the ball, which can be damaged. That's why I use the B&W gooseball kit for the factory pucks, as the latching is accomplished with a large bale/handle that swings out of the way. I am not sure how to defeat the Curt latch setup, but you can see the detent ball setup in the photos attached(from etrailer).

1645287023269.png1645287046140.png

OP
OP
Jason157E

Jason157E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings HO
I just went out and looked but I do not see any locking cross bar in either rear wheel well. Does that make this a screw in type or another type of retention?

OP
OP
Jason157E

Jason157E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings HO
I just ran across this post on etrailer. Hope it helps.

Thanks. I just checked it out but being the top is cut off it's hard to tell if that's the type I have. Of course, the hole down the center could be an indication it is. It's snowing right now but I will get up in the bed, first chance I get, and see if I can see if there is anything left of a locking pin inside what is left of the ball. I would guess if it was all removed the ball can be tapped/beat out as the ball bearings would have nothing holding them out. If not, perhaps the remainder of the locking mechanism can be tapped from the bottom up and out?

randyr6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
If you do not have a locking bar at wheel well the something else keeps the ball from raising when you hit a bump. I would with a flashlight look inside the ball mount under the truck-there must be a pin holding it out, however you may not be able to remove it due to where its at. I would still, first suggest you beat up on the ball from under your truck-COVER YOUR EYES as crap will fall everywhere. If it sounds solid you may need to have the 5th wheel remove and then ball removed. If that's the case, with advances in the industry you may want to upgrade your fifth wheel setup. If you're like many of us unhooking the fifth wheel can be a pain, Technologie allows you to do it now without climbing into the truck to connect and disconnect. Wish you the best of luck--Darn people with their short cuts (cutting it off and leaving you to think it's usable) and then to sell it with telling new owner. Where have all the Morales gone?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
OP
OP
Jason157E

Jason157E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings HO
If you do not have a locking bar at wheel well the something else keeps the ball from raising when you hit a bump. I would with a flashlight look inside the ball mount under the truck-there must be a pin holding it out, however you may not be able to remove it due to where its at. I would still, first suggest you beat up on the ball from under your truck-COVER YOUR EYES as crap will fall everywhere. If it sounds solid you may need to have the 5th wheel remove and then ball removed. If that's the case, with advances in the industry you may want to upgrade your fifth wheel setup. If you're like many of us unhooking the fifth wheel can be a pain, Technologie allows you to do it now without climbing into the truck to connect and disconnect. Wish you the best of luck--Darn people with their short cuts (cutting it off and leaving you to think it's usable) and then to sell it with telling new owner. Where have all the Morales gone?
True. I bought this from a dealer who probably knew even less about it than I did. The fifth wheel hitch covered it up. I only need the fifth wheel but, you're right, it's the principle of it!

OP
OP
Jason157E

Jason157E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings HO
UPDATE: Today is above freezing so I went out and looked into it a little deeper. The ball was a Curt 2 5/16". The ball freely rotates by hand and has approx. 1/32" of freeplay up and down. Not enough, unfortunately, to try and pry up on it. I used a flashlight and cannot see if anything is still inside the center of the ball. From what I've seen online. the Curt has the latch on top of the ball that needs to be turned 90° then the ball comes straight out. If he didn't get the latch turned, prior to cutting it off, would it still turn by hand? I am guessing all I have left is to try beating it out from the bottom but the takeaway here is at least it's not rusted fast in place. I'll keep you folks posted!

UPDATE 2: There is nothing inside the center of the ball. I was able to drop a small, aluminum dowel right through and out the bottom. I tried rapping it, with a large screwdriver and hammer, from the bottom and it will not budge. It is acting like the ball bearings are stuck. I will try some penetrating oil down the hole and hope it wicks out to the bearings.

Last edited:

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would break out the welder and tack the ball into place. Take a drill bit and lots of cutting fluid and drill the center out more. Pilot hole is already there shouldn't be too bad.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Penetrating oil over night, tap and use a slide hammer to pound it out?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
what would happen if you tack welded a cross bar to the part that you are trying to lift out
That would give you something to grab on to & if you had to rotate it to line up a slot or groove to lift it out.

In my town, there is a RV & Trailer accessories store
they would have a fair idea of how that part would normally be removed

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
My Curt ball was stuck like yours. The ball bearings rust and won't retract into the ball. I bought a 4 pound dead blow hammer and beat on the sides of the ball like a madman. After about 5 minutes the bearings loosened up and I could remove the ball. Since the top part of yours is cut off you will need to weld a pieced of bar stock to what is left of the ball. Then beat the bar stock like a madman. ;-)

PS. Make sure cuss at it a lot. MF-ing POS worked well for me.

If you do replace the ball make sure to grease the innards well. Mine had a little plastic cap on the bottom. I removed it and filled the inside of the ball with waterproof grease. I still take the ball out when not in use and grease the socket for the ball. I cover the socket with a plug made by Curt.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jason157E

Jason157E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings HO
Thanks to everyone for the ideas. I had to abandon the project for now as I am expecting a call to pick up our fifth wheel any day now and the weather turned to crap again. I did soak down through the hole with Kroil and tried to beat it out from the bottom but to avail. It's hard to get a square shot at it with the 3 lb. sledge and a bar. I think the idea of welding something on top to get ahold of is the next step. Maybe a bar big enough to grab with the cherry picker and lift the truck up (just a little bit) by the ball. Then, with the weight on it, whack it with a hammer. From the top, of course, lol.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Thanks to everyone for the ideas. I had to abandon the project for now as I am expecting a call to pick up our fifth wheel any day now and the weather turned to crap again. I did soak down through the hole with Kroil and tried to beat it out from the bottom but to avail. It's hard to get a square shot at it with the 3 lb. sledge and a bar. I think the idea of welding something on top to get ahold of is the next step. Maybe a bar big enough to grab with the cherry picker and lift the truck up (just a little bit) by the ball. Then, with the weight on it, whack it with a hammer. From the top, of course, lol.
With these Curt balls it is not a matter of pulling or beating it straight up. That will never work since the ball bearings that hold the ball in usually rust and won't retract. Soaking it with PB Blaster or Kroil will help but you need to beat on the thing sideways to get the ball bearings to loosen up and retract.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Curious, any resolution to this?