Got a few questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, I have some questions to ask since i will be installing an alarm system and a sound system very soon.

1) Does anyone know if my truck contains a computer chip in the key? This is for the remote start feaure on the alarm system so we will know whether or not we need to bypass the chip. I don't believe it does but I'm not 100%. This is what the key looks like: http://www.theviperstore.com/images/RAMkey_306.jpg

2) Also, can anyone provide a wiring diagram for the 2002 4.7 model for me? It will be a must for installing the alarm system :eek: I'll start googling :)

edit: damn wrong section haha, can a mod move this to the 3rd gen section please? :)

Last edited:

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I don't know the answers to the others, but my key has a chip in it. I got a regular spare made and it will unlock the door but when you try to start the truck it will start but then die real quick.

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
I don't believe that key contains the chip. When I had mine installed the guy asked "Do you have the black or grey key?". When i said black he said okay and went on with his business. Later, when I brought him the truck, he said paused and told me he was talking about the other black key, and that since the key I had did contain the chip, I'd need an extra part.

^^Just my reasoning as to why I think it doesn't contain the chip.^^

OP
OP
02Steve15

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
now that i remember, when i had an aftermarket keyless entry/remote start system installed, the guys took the spare key and regular key...they ended up giving me both of them back since they didn't have to use one because i didn't have the chip

OP
OP
02Steve15

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
^^ the closest to my year on there is a 2004, do you think there is a difference between an 02 and 04 for wiring diagrams? :confused:

also, does anyone think it's possible to buy a train horn separate and install the train horn in replace of the horn given with the alarm system??