Got my lift kit, got an alignment, got problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1stHEMI

Reaction score
Well, I got my MaxTrac lift kit installed, then went to get an alignment. Prior to the alignment, I had no issues with tires, alignment, or electronics. Immediately after the alignment, the truck pulled left, and the wheel is cocked right. The alignment shop was a joke, I went back and he just made excuses telling me it was 'tire runout'. I had 40-50 miles on the truck between lift kit install and alignment.

Then today, I got an indicator to have my trailer brakes serviced, then it says the above message, and the 'burnout' indicator is lit up (I know, it's a Slip, Stability Control indicator). I'm not currently using my trailer brakes, so I have no idea why I'm suddenly having these issues.

Any ideas? Thanks...warnings.jpg

Last edited:

farmallboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Well, I got my MaxTrac lift kit installed, then went to get an alignment. Prior to the alignment, I had no issues with tires, alignment, or electronics. Immediately after the alignment, the truck pulled right, and the wheel is cocked left. The alignment shop was a joke, I went back and he just made excuses telling me it was 'tire runout'. I had 40-50 miles on the truck between lift kit install and alignment.

Then today, the wheel is cocked far right, and then I get an indicator to have my trailer brakes serviced, and the 'burnout' indicator is lit up (I know, it's a Slip, Stability Control indicator). I'm not currently using my trailer brakes, so I have no idea why I'm suddenly having these issues.

"Buy a new truck" they said, "you'll be glad you have a new vehicle without so many problems."

Any ideas? Thanks...View attachment 248801

Picture indicates many more miles than new. And any type of major alteration like lift and different size tires can ruin the "no problems scenario"

But to actually address something. Picture indicates an electronic braking issue not a trailer braking issue. Meaning ANYTHING such as abs components. The shop is fully liable so take it back. Chances are something is been messed up by their monkeying around

OP
OP

1stHEMI

Reaction score
Picture indicates many more miles than new. And any type of major alteration like lift and different size tires can ruin the "no problems scenario"

But to actually address something. Picture indicates an electronic braking issue not a trailer braking issue. Meaning ANYTHING such as abs components. The shop is fully liable so take it back. Chances are something is been messed up by their monkeying around

I wasn't implying that the truck is new, I was joking about having a new(er) vehicle and getting these alerts... Incidentally, I've had the truck into the dealer for warranty work five times - hence the tongue-in-cheek comment.

At any rate, after the lift kit install last Thursday, the alignment last Friday, and up until about half-way into the office today... I didn't have any indicators or warnings. FYI, The first warning that appears is a trailer brake service is needed, then it flashes to the one in the picture - which is why I mentioned trailer brakes.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Read the error codes if you have reader or go to a parts store to have them read. Report back and perhaps folks can provide more targeted help.

Modern brake systems have become very complex with multiple sensors, wiring harnesses, control units and actuators. Any one of which can cause the idiot light and EVIC messages.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If your alignment is still mechanically incorrect you will get the ABS/traction warnings because the steering angle sensor doesn't agree with the wheel speed sensors. That means when you fix the alignment the errors will go away.

The truck knows that when you're going around a corner the outside wheels will be going faster than the inside wheels, that's factored in so that ABS and traction control can still work properly even while cornering. So if your alignment is well outside of spec and it sees your steering wheel turned in a different direction than your actual direction of travel it's going to know either there's a sensor failure or a major misalignment and it won't be able to do a good job intervening.

It sounds like the place you went might not be the most competent and you might not want them working on your truck again even if they offered to do it free. I'd suggest go to an alignment shop with a national or at least regionally large chain behind it like Big O - they'll have the right tools and the high volume of customers to have experience with every kind of vehicle and lift.

Last edited:

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I never had any issues with my Maxtrac lifts and they drove like new. Maybe when they took apart the front spindle, they messed something up?

OP
OP

1stHEMI

Reaction score
If your alignment is still mechanically incorrect you will get the ABS/traction warnings because the steering angle sensor doesn't agree with the wheel speed sensors. That means when you fix the alignment the errors will go away.

The truck knows that when you're going around a corner the outside wheels will be going faster than the inside wheels, that's factored in so that ABS and traction control can still work properly even while cornering. So if your alignment is well outside of spec and it sees your steering wheel turned in a different direction than your actual direction of travel it's going to know either there's a sensor failure or a major misalignment and it won't be able to do a good job intervening.

It sounds like the place you went might not be the most competent and you might want them working on your truck again even if they offered to do it free. I'd suggest go to an alignment shop with a national or at least regionally large chain behind it like Big O - they'll have the right tools and the high volume of customers to have experience with every kind of vehicle and lift.

Thanks, that makes complete sense... and it's off pretty far. When I called the shop after I left, he made excuses, then when I walked in the door 20 minutes later, he looked up to see me and shook his head, as if to I was a major thorn in his side. Kinda pissed me off. He continued to try to tell me it was runout... on tires that never gave me an issue since installed, even after the lift kit, and now all of a sudden he thinks my tire is out of round. I left, have an appointment with a better alignment shop today. Since that guy was a douche, I might have it done and show him the adjustments made, then tell him I want a refund. Hopefully this will fix the issues... the wheel is far off now.

alignment.jpg

OP
OP

1stHEMI

Reaction score
I never had any issues with my Maxtrac lifts and they drove like new. Maybe when they took apart the front spindle, they messed something up?
I wasn't thinking it was the lift kit... even though it needed an alignment, it was driving straight and didn't pull at all. As soon as I left the alignment shop, it pulled to the left and then a couple days later the wheel was way off and the codes appeared.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
True, I mean it has to be the shop, or something they have done or neglected to do, it cant be the lift.
I wonder when installing if they unplugged something when they pulled the brake caliper to install new spindle.

OP
OP

1stHEMI

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it was the alignment shop, not the shop that did the lift kit. I'll find out soon... heading out to the next alignment shop.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Good luck!

OP
OP

1stHEMI

Reaction score

Winner winner, chicken dinner. Got the alignment corrected at a different shop, five minutes down the road and all the codes went away and the cruise control works again.
The incompetence at that first shop, both technician and service advisor, astounds me.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Winner winner, chicken dinner. Got the alignment corrected at a different shop, five minutes down the road and all the codes went away and the cruise control works again.
The incompetence at that first shop, both technician and service advisor, astounds me.

I had to go to 2 different shops to get them to align my truck the last time ... the first two didn't want to use the specs I was giving them and the last one had no problem doing so ...

Do you mind posting your readings?

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine

By the way who did you go to lol ... I know you are in Menifee ... was the tire shop on Newport and Bradley one shop you went to? Those people are horrible lol ...

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I do know with the newer Jeeps it is important that after its aligned that the steering wheel is straight. if its not it will do crazy stuff when making a turn in the direction it is off. The stability thing thinks you are turning sharper than normal and will start applying all different brakes to try to correct the situation it thinks you are in because of the steering wheel being off.

OP
OP

1stHEMI

Reaction score
By the way who did you go to lol ... I know you are in Menifee ... was the tire shop on Newport and Bradley one shop you went to? Those people are horrible lol ...
LOL.. that tire shop on Newport and Bradley has sucked for years. I went in once to buy lugnuts and the ********* wouldn't sell me any. As I turned in disgust to walk out the door, he told me if I bought a new set of wheels and tires he would throw them in for free. Did I say he was a *********? lol

I first went to Mountain View Auto on Date St in Murrieta on a recommendation from a friend. That's the ******* that gave me all the attitude. The second place I went to was Allen Tire on Florida in Hemet, and they knew what they were doing and once I left the shop and got a few miles down the road, all the codes cleared.

I'm probably going to be getting adjustable links soon for the rear... they did say that the rear needs adjustment, and new links will accommodate the adjustments.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
LOL.. that tire shop on Newport and Bradley has sucked for years. I went in once to buy lugnuts and the ********* wouldn't sell me any. As I turned in disgust to walk out the door, he told me if I bought a new set of wheels and tires he would throw them in for free. Did I say he was a *********? lol

I first went to Mountain View Auto on Date St in Murrieta on a recommendation from a friend. That's the ******* that gave me all the attitude. The second place I went to was Allen Tire on Florida in Hemet, and they knew what they were doing and once I left the shop and got a few miles down the road, all the codes cleared.

I'm probably going to be getting adjustable links soon for the rear... they did say that the rear needs adjustment, and new links will accommodate the adjustments.

The rear doesn't need to be adjusted so don't let that concern you ....

Mountain View is horrible man, I used to work for Big O Tires which is now Integrity tires on Newport and Bradley ... Once Jason and Rick left that place turned to **** ..... That is where I was doing alignments and busting tires for almost 5 years ...

Allen tire in Riverside off of Hole is who I went to and they kicked ass with the alignment ... did you get the lifetime alignment deal? Allen Tire has some good shops in our area and throughout Riverside County ...

The links are only going to affect the sway bar .... Why did they say the rear needs adjustment?

OP
OP

1stHEMI

Reaction score
The rear doesn't need to be adjusted so don't let that concern you ....

Mountain View is horrible man, I used to work for Big O Tires which is now Integrity tires on Newport and Bradley ... Once Jason and Rick left that place turned to **** ..... That is where I was doing alignments and busting tires for almost 5 years ...

Allen tire in Riverside off of Hole is who I went to and they kicked ass with the alignment ... did you get the lifetime alignment deal? Allen Tire has some good shops in our area and throughout Riverside County ...

The links are only going to affect the sway bar .... Why did they say the rear needs adjustment?
They said the rear is a little off to one side and isn't true to the rest of the chassis, he felt that it might pull a little, but it seems to be fine now. The links are costly... crazy expensive, so if I do, it will be a while before I get them.

Yeah, when I left Mountain View right away it was off, when I called him all he did was make excuses and blame it on "tire runout"... lmao. I cannot stand when repair shops take that attitude and blame it on everything but the work they did.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
They said the rear is a little off to one side and isn't true to the rest of the chassis, he felt that it might pull a little, but it seems to be fine now. The links are costly... crazy expensive, so if I do, it will be a while before I get them.

Yeah, when I left Mountain View right away it was off, when I called him all he did was make excuses and blame it on "tire runout"... lmao. I cannot stand when repair shops take that attitude and blame it on everything but the work they did.

If you want come down to my place and I will take a look at it .... I honestly don't think your rear is off .... If they use the sway bar extension brackets then everything "should" be fine ... can you take a picture of the rear and post it up ? Make sure it shows the end links connected to the sway bar extension brackets and just the whole rear as much as you can ...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juanita Kelley