Got my Pedal Commander!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So it essentially amplifies the signal from the gas pedal? Couldn't the same effect be achieved by, ya' know, stepping on the gas a little harder?

This is an old question/debate that I'm not getting into.
I have one
I use it
I love it
Dont knock it if you haven't tried it

Allenrlyons

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 Standard Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2012 Ram 1500 with 3.55 rear gears. I have been saving my money to regear to at least 4.10 gears. However, I have many other modifications inclusive of a CAI, Ported throttle body, BBK headers, and a custom tune with the throttle response set at 160% over stock. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of using the pedal commander with this current setup? Is regearing to 4.10 worth the cost? They charge an arm and a leg here in North Georgia to regear a vehicle. ($600 + just for labor!!!) Not that I want to burn my tires off but I am almost $3,000 into this build and it will not even squeek the rear tires from a dead stop. :(

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If your truck is not 4wd it would definitely be worth the cost. Check with Matt at Moe's Performance(a preferred vendor here) on the price of the gears and install kit. Setting up a rear end with new gears is almost a science and if done wrong it can be really costly, that is why the people that really know how to do the job charge what they do. The performance will be greatly enhanced as a result of your gear swap. A Pedal Commander will also work well with your present tune. They compliment each other very well.
Jay

Last edited:

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is an old question/debate that I'm not getting into.
I have one
I use it
I love it
Dont knock it if you haven't tried it

I've read the reviews on Pedal Commander and I get that it works. I want to know HOW it works. Tuners work by altering the ECU's programming... changing parameters on fuel and spark timing, transmission shift points, etc. That's overwriting fundamental software which controls the vehicle.

With Pedal Commander being plug-and-play with no tuning required and working for such a wide range of vehicles, all with electronic throttle control, I can only surmise that it is basically an in-line amplifier increasing the voltage being applied to the throttle position sensor. You step on the gas a little bit and it steps on the gas A LOT. This does make the vehicle respond more promptly, but I'd wager you could produce the same kind of results if you'd just be a bit more aggressive with your application of the skinny pedal... no $300 box required.

If you are happy with the product and feel you got good value for your money then good for you. But call me a skeptic when it comes to magic boxes promising big performance gains. I am reminded of the ones which took e-bay by storm about ten years back. Somebody cracked one open to discover that it was some ten cent Radio Shack resistors soldered to a circuit board which tricked the ECU into running rich.

Not that I am accusing the folks at Pedal Commander of perpetuating some sort of fraud, I simply believe there is a lot of room for misunderstanding when it comes to modifying engine electronics.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
^^^^ We all have choices! That's why there is so much stuff out there to choose from.
Jay

Irongoats

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Got mine installed the other day as well from GotExhaust. Still playing with choices Sport+2 seems to make the truck jump while driving in the city so I'm playiing with settings.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
^^^^ We all have choices! That's why there is so much stuff out there to choose from.
Jay
Pull Ya, I love my PC. I wish I'd have known about it when I had my 2010 Camaro 2SS

I Love my 18 Ram 2500 4x4 CC U.S.M.C.(ret) CPL

FXCLM5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie CC
Engine
ED 3.0 V6
With Pedal Commander being plug-and-play with no tuning required and working for such a wide range of vehicles, all with electronic throttle control, I can only surmise that it is basically an in-line amplifier increasing the voltage being applied to the throttle position sensor. You step on the gas a little bit and it steps on the gas A LOT. This does make the vehicle respond more promptly, but I'd wager you could produce the same kind of results if you'd just be a bit more aggressive with your application of the skinny pedal... no $300 box required.

This is pretty much how the pedal commander works, but you are not understanding the built in throttle lag that they are being programmed with.

You can also tune your pedal commander where its not super aggressive where it basically immediately downshifts when your on any throttle.

Your foot just cannot beat the electronic box, for instance lets say it takes 50ms for your foot to floor the pedal as fast as you can. With the pedal commander during the same 50ms to floor it, the throttle bodies are opening 100% within the first 25ms because when your foot was 1/2 through the stroke of flooring it - the box already passed it along as 100% wide open throttle.

How much faster can you push the pedal here - its not going to do anything for you, hopefully this explanation clears up how the box cannot just be duplicated by the pedal

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I hate driving the truck without it turned on. It has far exceeded my expectations. One of the best mod's so far as long as you understand what it does and what it does not do. I have recommended it to lots and lots of people, not only for Rams, but for their cars also. It just flat out makes your driving experience more fun!
Jay

JamesWyatt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
All the reviews are true. Pushing the pedal harder and further does NOT do the same thing. You guys saying it's a waste of money need to drive a RAM with one installed or quit talking about things with which you have zero experience.

Here's a scenario that makes it worth the price for this one thing alone: Cruise Control. Without the PC, the engine lugs and can't keep a consistent speed going up moderately-steep hills (I drive between 5500 and 9000 elevation regularly). But with the PC, the truck keeps the set speed *perfectly* because it downshifts long before the truck would have without it. Night and day difference.

These trucks are programmed the way they are because you really need the feather-throttle to do delicate towing maneuvers and for driving off road in 4L. But this is not what I want for the driving experience for 95% of my driving which is not towing or rock crawling. The PC set to Sport mode (no +) has the exact same throttle response as my previous 2018 Challenger 392 T/A. Of course my vehicle is 7K lbs and has fewer horsepower and doesn't scoot like the T/A, but it certainly is now the same "pedal experience".

Even if it were simply a matter of having to push the pedal half-throttle all day long from every stop light and every time you pass someone, that sucks! Imagine having to use a computer keyboard where the keys were three times further apart. The PC makes the daily driving experience *more efficient* from an ergonomic standpoint and greatly increased my satisfaction with my RAM.

HIGHLY RECOMMEND.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
With the pedal commander during the same 50ms to floor it, the throttle bodies are opening 100% within the first 25ms because when your foot was 1/2 through the stroke of flooring it - the box already passed it along as 100% wide open throttle.

So we're talking tenths and hundredths of a second here?

Here's a scenario that makes it worth the price for this one thing alone: Cruise Control. Without the PC, the engine lugs and can't keep a consistent speed going up moderately-steep hills (I drive between 5500 and 9000 elevation regularly). But with the PC, the truck keeps the set speed *perfectly* because it downshifts long before the truck would have without it. Night and day difference.

If I need a downshift to maintain speed on a hill and the transmission isn't automatically giving it to me I just reach up and hit the little " +/- " button on the shift lever. That's why the engineers put it there.

Even if it were simply a matter of having to push the pedal half-throttle all day long from every stop light and every time you pass someone, that sucks! Imagine having to use a computer keyboard where the keys were three times further apart. The PC makes the daily driving experience *more efficient* from an ergonomic standpoint and greatly increased my satisfaction with my RAM.

How much "ergonomics" are really involved in changing the inclination of your foot a few degrees? Heaven forbid you had something with a manual transmission and had to work TWO pedals and a shift lever at the same time. That effort sounds simply herculean.

Ultimately if people are buying it and are happy with it then that's just fine. It's your truck, accessorize it as you see fit. I was merely trying to determine what the device does from a scientific point of view and the answer seems pretty clear.

Thanks.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
All I know is that it works awesome. With mine, there is no more lag on the pedal, downshifts like it should have from the factory.
Analogy, it gives you the ability to hit a 100mph fastball when at your best you could only hit an 80mph one. If you press the go pedal 1” from a dead stop OEM, say it opens your TB 25%...with PC added, that same pedal travel gives 45% opening on TB (depending on the PC setting mode)Quicker reaction, more throttle response. I was skeptical too. If your going to be up my way, your welcome to try it!

JamesWyatt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
So we're talking tenths and hundredths of a second here?

If I need a downshift to maintain speed on a hill and the transmission isn't automatically giving it to me I just reach up and hit the little " +/- " button on the shift lever. That's why the engineers put it there.

How much "ergonomics" are really involved in changing the inclination of your foot a few degrees? Heaven forbid you had something with a manual transmission and had to work TWO pedals and a shift lever at the same time. That effort sounds simply herculean.

Ultimately if people are buying it and are happy with it then that's just fine. It's your truck, accessorize it as you see fit. I was merely trying to determine what the device does from a scientific point of view and the answer seems pretty clear.

Thanks.

The only thing that seems clear is you’re not understanding it doesn’t simply mimic pushing the pedal further, it downshifts immediately whereas even flooring it stock will lag and hesitate. Not sure how that could be any more clear. Press the button on the shifter? That’s for towing and off road. Sure you can use it like an old manual on the column shifter, but jeez, that makes no sense to be doing that every time I hit a hill or every time the cruise can’t keep up. If Dodge had mapped the Challenger pedal like the RAM, you’d have them screaming holy hell. Yeah, just tell them to use their paddle shifter and punch it harder, LOL.

I have no way to prove it, but I would bet the device is changing the input curve and several other throttle parameters — that data would be proprietary and no way there’re going to even describe it in a public forum.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't like Brussels sprouts! Their ugly, their round and roll around the plate, their green and I just know I won't like them and NO I've never even tried one. I don't care if most other people like them, I just can't figure them out, I guess I'll have to figure out the growing process.
Jay

Last edited:

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't like Brussels sprouts! Their ugly, their round and roll around the plate, their green and I just know I won't like them and NO I've never even tried one. I don't care if most other people like them, I just can't figure them out, I guess I'll have to figure out the growing process.
Jay

I personally like Brussel sprouts. Their cute, round, green and tasty, and yes I have tried them. I dont need to figure them out or the growing process, just when to pick em and eat em

Roflmao

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I personally like Brussel sprouts. Their cute, round, green and tasty, and yes I have tried them. I dont need to figure them out or the growing process, just when to pick em and eat em

Roflmao
Me too

I Love my 18 Ram 2500 4x4 CC U.S.M.C.(ret) CPL

RE70L7ER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Does the PC help (or hurt) fuel efficiency at all? I haven’t even heard of this thing until I became active on this forum sight so just trying to research as much as I can.