Got the tick!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
Its bad at cold start up till about 10to15mins of driving.
At start up you can give a little gas and hear it get louder and speed up. I doubt I'm covered under warranty, but I guess I could always try

Hi OP, as others said, if you're under 100k powetrain warranty, then manifold bolts are covered by dealership. Save yourself a few extra years of life and take it in so they can take care of it

OP
OP
Itsme71190

Itsme71190

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks guys, it looks like I am covered. Appointment set for tomorrow at 7am... only time they had... going to be an early morning for me.

Also, an intake will not void my powertrain warranty correct?

Last edited:

sparkygreen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Let me know how it goes. Are you running factory muffler? I have a 2014 with what I assume to be broken manifold bolts. I am worried they will say my aftermarket muffler caused it an deny the warranty.

I was also under the impression 2014 was the last year with 5 Yr/100K powertrain, but it could have been 15. I know it switched to 5/60k which is what they are now.

Thanks!

OP
OP
Itsme71190

Itsme71190

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When I asked them about money they said I have till apr2020 or 40k miles. So I have the 5yr/100k
When I called them they took the last 8 of the vin and looked it all up including 5recalls. Could give your dealer a call

OP
OP
Itsme71190

Itsme71190

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Let me know how it goes. Are you running factory muffler? I have a 2014 with what I assume to be broken manifold bolts. I am worried they will say my aftermarket muffler caused it an deny the warranty.

I was also under the impression 2014 was the last year with 5 Yr/100K powertrain, but it could have been 15. I know it switched to 5/60k which is what they are now.

Thanks!
Yes. I have all factory exhaust. Just an aftermarket intake

MoparBrent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Thanks!

Couldn’t have been 15 either. I have a 2016 with 5year/100k powertrain

sparkygreen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
According to Google they have 5yr/100k through 2018. I could have sworn it changed in 15-16? Oh well, the new 2019's are only 5yr/60k.

OP
OP
Itsme71190

Itsme71190

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok
..... so far, worst customer service I've ever dealt with. Been calling since yesterday afternoon with bo answer. When I went into the service area I stood there for about 20mins before a service adviser greeted me from the glass enclosure.
I understand why I've always bought used and never used warranties before

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
Ok
..... so far, worst customer service I've ever dealt with. Been calling since yesterday afternoon with bo answer. When I went into the service area I stood there for about 20mins before a service adviser greeted me from the glass enclosure.
I understand why I've always bought used and never used warranties before

Sigh, to bad you’re not in northern VA. I had to bounce around a couple of dealers till I found a great service department! It’s not the closest to my house but it’s near my work. They are awesome and it’s worked out great!!

OP
OP
Itsme71190

Itsme71190

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sigh, to bad you’re not in northern VA. I had to bounce around a couple of dealers till I found a great service department! It’s not the closest to my house but it’s near my work. They are awesome and it’s worked out great!!
used to be in chesapeake. i went in and talked to someone, it was done. im at work now but will post the service invoice later.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I guess they only fix the side that’s leaking and not both even though it’s just a matter of time before the driver side fails too

lipidboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am a broken record when it comes to recommending Archoil friction modifier, used by Jay Leno’s crew. I add just over 1 ounce per quart of 5w-20 Mobil 1. 68,000 trouble free quiet Hemi 5.7 miles. Won’t solve the exhaust bolt issues.....

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I guess they only fix the side that’s leaking and not both even though it’s just a matter of time before the driver side fails too
I had my passenger side fail once around 160,000 km and no leaks since. the drivers side never leaked in 270,000 km so they don't all fail.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If you’re good with a drill and trust yourself to keep it straight and not drill into your block I’d say drill them out.

Use an extractor like in this link: https://store.snapon.com/MultiSpline-Extractors-1-8-Multispline-Extractor-P635483.aspx.

I work on airplanes for a living and have to extract corroded/rusted hardware like it’s going out of style. These are the only extractors we use and are hands down the best.

They fit a 1/2 socket so you can put a ratchet on them for more torque and easily pull them out
I just picked up a few of the more common sizes for me in that style and left handed drill bits to go with them from the Mac tool guy who lives up the road from me. Lifetime warranty drill bits from them much like snap on so worth the little extra cost. Also ordered a set of 1/2" impact sockets up to 1.5" because I can't help myself when I get into a tool truck. I cracked 2 regular sockets last month with my impact so It was time to loosen the purse strings.

MoparBrent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Y
I just picked up a few of the more common sizes for me in that style and left handed drill bits to go with them from the Mac tool guy who lives up the road from me. Lifetime warranty drill bits from them much like snap on so worth the little extra cost. Also ordered a set of 1/2" impact sockets up to 1.5" because I can't help myself when I get into a tool truck. I cracked 2 regular sockets last month with my impact so It was time to loosen the purse strings.

Awesome, I just linked the 1/8 because its the size we use on airplanes 99% of the time. Snap on truck comes by the hanger every 2 weeks and will replace my extractors the moment they wear down at all so its a win/win for me

Iiplus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Finally happened to me. 2015 Laramie 4x4 crew cab with 60,000 miles. Planned on changing the bolts next month but now looks like I'm going to have to do some drilling or welding. I did my research and looks like I need to talk to Moe's to get my stuff. But I wanted to get some opinions from you guys first who have had this problem and change it out to Shorty's. I've heard the JBA have had rust problems after a couple years even with the ceramic coating. Going to go ahead and get the stage 8 bolts, but I've seen some people use the retaining clips and some don't. Also going to get the rim Flex gaskets.
My biggest question is for the people that had the bolts broken off into the head, how did you go about getting them out? A seems like most broke flush with the head. Did you guys use the screw extractor bits or the welding a nut trick?

By the way, this was all voice to text. Sorry if things are jumbled up

What is the milage limit on your power train warranty? Is this covered under warranty. My tick showed up at 135K miles. And I also had to replace camshaft, lifters, valve springs, and have heard machined

OP
OP
Itsme71190

Itsme71190

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What is the milage limit on your power train warranty? Is this covered under warranty. My tick showed up at 135K miles. And I also had to replace camshaft, lifters, valve springs, and have heard machined
my 2015 had a 5yr/100k mile powertrain.

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So let me get this straight on a cold startup when I hear the tick it’s not cuz my fan is running it’s broken bolts on the manifold? I also like that I get a squeal when I gas it they replaced serpentine and it went away but came back. Keep in mind this is a 15 express with 11k on it.