Gun Mounts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FF1899

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have never racked a brick before that could accurately fire a 9mm cartridge. I guess masonry isn't as advanced in Texas.
You also clearly have never been in a high stress life or death situation either. If you dont have one in the pipe then about the only thing it is good for is running to cover gathering yourself then racking and hopefully getting into the fight if it's not to late. I dont care how much you train muscle memory is absolutely great and needed but the more steps you have to take the lower your survival rate. This is something I can tell you first hand and very proficiently.

Jessica Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You also clearly have never been in a high stress life or death situation either.
Some governments advise carry without a round in the chamber, like Israel, when not at heightened alertness, and you have to remember that as a civilian you're at so much lower risk of ever needing to use the firearm compared to military, police, or security contractors that actively put themselves in high-risk situations, and are usually going to be in "low threat level" as a default (if you're not, move to a safer neighborhood and learn to practice situational awareness and conflict avoidance skills).

Its LESS combat effective, obviously, but MORE safe against unintended discharge due to brain-farts/negligence/child access, and certainly not identical to carrying nothing. If not, how about you put two guys on each side of a large room, one with a brick and the other a 1911 without a round in the chamber and wager who will win the fight... cmon.

There's no universal right or wrong answer for everyone, just choices that weigh one risk against another that also depend on the specific type of firearm being carried. And remember, if someone gets the drop on you to where you don't have the second to rack your slide, you're probably better off under most circumstances not revealing you have a concealed firearm at all. Saving one second and getting the first shot off is not a guarantee of success, since return fire is possible after being shot by most pistol calibers in most shot placements.

Now before the anecdotes come, I'm sure you can find videos on liveleak of where some civilian hero is on security camera trying to rack his slide and he short strokes it or whatever and gets shot by the robber. But you can also find articles of a overstressed mom forgetting she left her pistol in her purse that evening and a kid having shot it or some guy shooting himself in the groin or across the room when cleaning it forgetting it was loaded (even smart people can do stupid things once in their lifetime).

You do you, but avoid "my way or the highway" gross exaggerations IMO.

FF1899

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not my way or the highway but I know I survive day to day. I know statistics I know crimes case laws I live it I know it. What do you do? I'm going to leave this alone from this point. Do what you are comfortable with but me, life of others and myself are my priorities. Btw if you are so concerned about a negligent discharge that you dont prepare yourself I would either train more or stop carrying.

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not my way or the highway but I know I survive day to day. I know statistics I know crimes case laws I live it I know it. What do you do? I'm going to leave this alone from this point. Do what you are comfortable with but me, life of others and myself are my priorities. Btw if you are so concerned about a negligent discharge that you dont prepare yourself I would either train more or stop carrying.
Couldn’t agree more!

Jessica Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Btw if you are so concerned about a negligent discharge that you dont prepare yourself I would either train more or stop carrying.
First off, I didn't tell you how I carry, I was devil's advocate and explained there are pros and cons of "israeli carry", and not carrying a round in the chamber is not identical under all potential circumstances to not being armed, the same as carrying a firearm with the safety on is not the same as not carrying... in specific combat disadvantages and specific safety advantages.

Like I mentioned, it also depends on the firearm, and if you keep a tac-14 around, even the manufacturer tells you do not keep a round in the chamber, as even just inadvertently dropping it can make it fire. Point is, its not "right vs wrong" its "pros vs cons for unique individuals with unique firearm choices".

tl;dr version: read article

Last edited: