Gun Mounts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not dictating what you do, but I am bothered when you are completely misunderstanding my point, and then being rather condescending and acting like a risk management decision is based on ignorance, John Wick.

Lets say you see a little kid by themselves trying to cross a busy street. You may choose to decrease your personal safety by exiting the security of your vehicle and putting yourself at minimal risk by looking both ways and getting the kid off the street, because you value the other life as well as your own. Risk A (the child getting hurt) was greater than Risk B (you getting hurt) in your risk management decision. Likewise, I choose to minimally impact my own safety by ensuring my firearm is properly secured (on me or in a safe), because I value other's lives as well as my own, even if there is a small tactical disadvantage.

If there's any misunderstanding, I hope that clears everything up.

What exactly is your point?? It seems to me that you’re too hung up on vehicle security. That is totally not what we’re talking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jessica Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What exactly is your point??
I don't know how else to word this...

Don't leave a gun in a truck holster like this while you hop into walmart to grab some oil real quick. Its how firearms get stolen, stolen firearms do put innocent people in danger, and yes many guys (not necessarily you, I don't know you) do keep "truck guns" unsecured. Keep it on your person at all times when possible, and if absolutely necessary in a safe, not a "hidden holster". If that doesn't apply to you, and you don't have a problem with that, relax.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't know how else to word this...

Don't leave a gun in a truck holster like this while you hop into walmart to grab some oil real quick. Its how firearms get stolen, and yes many guys (not necessarily you, I don't know you) do keep "truck guns" unsecured. Keep it on your person at all times when possible, and if absolutely necessary in a safe, not a "hidden holster". If that doesn't apply to you, and you don't have a problem with that, relax.

Yes, but you keep spouting the same diatribe over and over about leaving an unsecured gun in a mount in a vehicle. Are you even reading our posts? If some one is careless enough to do that, then that is their problem. If you can’t move past this inability differentiate between leaving an unsecured gun in a vehicle mount and thinking you’re good to go while in your vehicle with your gun in conceal carry mode then we can’t help you.

Bottom line, conceal carry or even open carry on your person is not for sitting in a vehicle. That’s why they make vehicle mounts. But these mounts are not intended for storage. I can’t make this anymore clear. If you can’t see the difference in that then I don’t know what to tell you.

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sure hope you never get into a bad situation. Maybe you can argue statistics with your attacker while he’s pointing your own gun at you!
Yes, but you keep spouting the same diatribe over and over about leaving an unsecured gun in a mount in a vehicle. Are you even reading our posts? If some one is careless enough to do that, then that is their problem. If you can’t move past this inability differentiate between leaving an unsecured gun in a vehicle mount and thinking you’re good to go while in your vehicle with your gun in conceal carry mode then we can’t help you.

Bottom line, conceal carry or even open carry on your person is not for sitting in a vehicle. That’s why they make vehicle mounts. But these mounts are not intended for storage. I can’t make this anymore clear. If you can’t see the difference in that then I don’t know what to tell you.

i can’t make this any more clear, the OP wasn’t looking for storage of the weapon when he isn’t in the car. You’re too caught up in your keeping the gun from being stolen argument that you miss the whole point of the thread. The title is gun mounts not gun storage geeze.

Jessica Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If some one is careless enough to do that, then that is their problem.
No, its also someone else's problem because it puts innocent people at risk. You seem to understand this, and agree, and yet remain argumentative. I also understand that there is a small tactical disadvantage to drawing from an IWB, in that you may have to release your seatbelt first, but that i find the statistical probability of such a scenario for my particular lifestyle to be less than the statistical probability that I might go out grocery shopping and forget the gun in the mount and that I increase my lifetime odds of having a negligent discharge the more frequently a loaded firearm is handled outside its holster, not to mention inconvenient.

You seem to have taken this very personally, even slewing insults unnecessarily, based on a personal risk assessment decision that I've voiced. While I have attacked those that leave a firearm unsecured, you've said that doesn't apply to you, and I haven't challenged that and applaud you for properly securing your firearm. If you choose to do a lot of juggling every time you get in and out of your vehicle, that's certainly none of my business and irrelevant to the point I made.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Damn y’all hijacked the OP’s thread big time!!!
I believe it’s time to give the OP his thread back or at least get back on topic.

I love my truck!
Blue Mule 18 Ram 4x4 C/C
Tradesman Power Wagon

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No, its also someone else's problem because it puts innocent people at risk. You seem to understand this, and agree, and yet remain argumentative. I also understand that there is a small tactical disadvantage to drawing from an IWB, in that you may have to release your seatbelt first, but that i find the statistical probability of such a scenario for my particular lifestyle to be less than the statistical probability that I might go out grocery shopping and forget the gun in the mount and that I increase my lifetime odds of having a negligent discharge the more frequently a loaded firearm is handled outside its holster, not to mention inconvenient.

You seem to have taken this very personally, even slewing insults unnecessarily, based on a personal risk assessment decision that I've voiced. While I have attacked those that leave a firearm unsecured, you've said that doesn't apply to you, and I haven't challenged that and applaud you for properly securing your firearm. If you choose to do a lot of juggling every time you get in and out of your vehicle, that's certainly none of my business and irrelevant to the point I made.
That quote wasn’t from me but I do take it personally when people decide to carry weapons who have no clue, you statistically are putting people at risk by your lack of knowledge of the subject and lack of training and education as it relates to ccw. You are far to caught up in statistics, go read and seriously sign up for a tactical class, chances are you will have a blast and actually learn something too. I’m not trying to insult you, I’m trying to tell you to put away the math and go take a class. My first tactical class was shooting a target through a windshield of a car, something that would never be needed in a real world scenario that I can think of but damn it was fun. The point of this exercise was to show how easy a round can go through a car, we shot through the door as well. Many people think they can hide behind a vehicle thanks to hollywood but the fact is the engine block is about the only thing that will stop a, in this case, 9mm round. Also training yourself to look beyond your target, asses a situation and make the decision to fire all in a split second, none of which involve statistics while you’re making that decision, there is a great you tube video online that shows a woman being attacked and she shouts the assailant but didn’t notice the woman pushing a stroller on the opposite sidewalk., what if she missed the guy and hit the stroller? Many things that you need to train for that don’t involve math or even the fact you have been shooting at targets your whole life.
Being prepared for virtually anything through training and education will make you more responsible. I feel like you have no idea what you don’t know and are simply brushing that off because you read some statistics somewhere.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Number one- don’t forget your gun being unsecured. Problem solved.

Number two- well, if you’re going from store to store, then there’s nothing really you can do for the utmost prevention but- even though there really is no fail-safe option in that situation, the fact still remains that your IWB carried gun is not as quickly accessible while seated in your car.

But I get it- no need to readdress it that, there is no tried and true solution for any given situation. And acting like you’ll be able to draw your gun from an IWB holster- while seated in your car- with your seatbelt on- is not gonna happen nearly as quickly as you think it will be. That part is fact.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I believe it’s time to give the OP his thread back or at least get back on topic.

I love my truck!
Blue Mule 18 Ram 4x4 C/C
Tradesman Power Wagon

I don’t see any thread-jacking at all. I see good information addressing the difference between vehicle mounts and gun securement in a vehicle for those that may not know.

Besides- the OP hasn’t posted here in over 2 months.

Last edited:

nwsewell

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Driving around, pistol stays in it's quickdraw location.
Parked somewhere i can legally carry, it goes in my IWB holster on my persons when I get out of the truck.
Parked somewhere i cannot legally carry, for a short period of time (30mins or less), slide the quickdraw back to be visually blocked by drivers seat.
Parked somewhere i cannot legally carry for an extended period of time (30mins or more), pistol goes in the locked glovebox.
Get home, pistol comes inside the house with me.

Its common sense, folks.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Driving around, pistol stays in it's quickdraw location.
Parked somewhere i can legally carry, it goes in my IWB holster on my persons when I get out of the truck.
Parked somewhere i cannot legally carry, for a short period of time (30mins or less), slide the quickdraw back to be visually blocked by drivers seat.
Parked somewhere i cannot legally carry for an extended period of time (30mins or more), pistol goes in the locked glovebox.
Get home, pistol comes inside the house with me.

Its common sense, folks.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
It really is but common sense is a flower that doesn’t grow in everybody’s garden.

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I love my truck!
Blue Mule 18 Ram 4x4 C/C
Tradesman Power Wagon
I didn’t intend to, though I did keep referring back to the fact that he was asking about mounts not storage. Sorry to the OP if I hijacked. Was trying to get through to the ill informed nothing more!

Last edited:

vweaver

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
*Phew*
My two cents: I'm a statistics kinda guy, but I don't do everything I do solely based on probability. If I did, I wouldn't own a gun. Personal preference. If you don't WANT a vehicle holster, don't get one. If you do, then get one. I can't recall ever reading (not saying it's NEVER happened) that a private, law-abiding citizen, died mid-draw in their vehicle because they couldn't access their gun quickly enough. Sure there is statistical possibilities that a split second could make a difference- but let's go back to that fire extinguisher example earlier. You MIGHT someday need a fire extinguisher a split-second faster. Does that mean that you should mount your kitchen extinguisher on the front of your stove and train twice a month for fastest 'tactical' access? Well, if it makes you feel safer- go for it. Doesn't mean that's THE 'right' way to do it.
Bottom line, use common sense in safety- and do what feels right for YOU and your situation.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
*Phew*
My two cents: I'm a statistics kinda guy, but I don't do everything I do solely based on probability. If I did, I wouldn't own a gun. Personal preference. If you don't WANT a vehicle holster, don't get one. If you do, then get one. I can't recall ever reading (not saying it's NEVER happened) that a private, law-abiding citizen, died mid-draw in their vehicle because they couldn't access their gun quickly enough. Sure there is statistical possibilities that a split second could make a difference-
That’s something that you probably won’t ever hear about but as I’ve said, they make quick-access vehicle holster for a reason.

...but let's go back to that fire extinguisher example earlier. You MIGHT someday need a fire extinguisher a split-second faster. Does that mean that you should mount your kitchen extinguisher on the front of your stove and train twice a month for fastest 'tactical' access? Well, if it makes you feel safer- go for it. Doesn't mean that's THE 'right' way to do it.

Totally not what I was getting at. My reference about fire extinguishers was purely in reference to what Jessica said about her feeling like she has a very reduced need for her gun in a defensive situation, not having fire extinguishers in “tactical” locations. That’s not even close to what I was talking about.

Bottom line, use common sense in safety- and do what feels right for YOU and your situation.
I agree but I still think relying on an IWB-carried gun for vehicle protection is a bad idea unless you’re in and out if the vehicle all day. That’s why I said my little carry pistol stays in my pocket and my big full-size one is only a password away while in that situation; the vehicle holster only really gets used while on longer trips.

Last edited:

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
https://discretedefensesolutions.com/shop/vehicle-accessories/console-holster/

I have the fold down middle seat and this works wonderfully for me. I couldn't find a good place to mount a magnet like I had in my Jeep previously.

I thought about one of those but I figured that would be too uncomfortable and too close to being no more accessible than having an open carry holster strapped to ya. That, and since that one looks like it’s a molded, kydex-type material, that one looks like it’s only made for a specific handgun whereas mine is just an elastic web material that will hold virtually any large-frame pistol. Of course I had to modify the mount on mine to attach to that little pocket on the side of my console the way I wanted it to but the end result was quite nice. And it’s outta the way, doesn’t rub on my leg and has a whole lot better access in my opinion. bf9e10030bd8be216e6fcdd9c9db4eb4.jpg

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
*Phew*
My two cents: I'm a statistics kinda guy, but I don't do everything I do solely based on probability. If I did, I wouldn't own a gun. Personal preference. If you don't WANT a vehicle holster, don't get one. If you do, then get one. I can't recall ever reading (not saying it's NEVER happened) that a private, law-abiding citizen, died mid-draw in their vehicle because they couldn't access their gun quickly enough. Sure there is statistical possibilities that a split second could make a difference- but let's go back to that fire extinguisher example earlier. You MIGHT someday need a fire extinguisher a split-second faster. Does that mean that you should mount your kitchen extinguisher on the front of your stove and train twice a month for fastest 'tactical' access? Well, if it makes you feel safer- go for it. Doesn't mean that's THE 'right' way to do it.
If the fire is small enough to have time to get your extinguisher, it’s prob not gonna kill you. If someone tries to pull you out of your car you’re going to be hurt or killed. Huge difference.