GY Duratracs vs BFG KO2 for my Rebel... help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cwils80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
KO2's here aswell. Live in knoxville tn and even though this year I didn't get any snow amazingly but last year this truck handle amazing in snow. I do have 4x4 of course though.

No noise and looks great aswell. A tire that's basically known to be awesome.

OP
OP
bfill_rebel

bfill_rebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've tried all 3 models you won't go wrong with any of them for the tasks you're looking your truck to do. They're great for AT, and perform very well in wintry conditions. The Duratracs will be lighter at just 62 lbs in 315/70/17, the KO2's will be 64lbs, and the AT3W will be 73lbs. Big difference if you're looking at MPG, acceleration, braking performance etc.

I like KO2 and AT3W more in the terms of ruggedness and offroading prowess. Sidewall strength is better in this two compared to the GY's. GY's will be better in terms of weight and MPG, all 3 will drive great on wintry like roads.
They're all quiet when new, but as you start racking miles GY's will be noisier with miles, and i meant it. What i liked about the Falken before was their price. they used to be a lot cheaper than the other 2, now the difference seems to be $20 or so cheaper than the other 2 , but they're 9-13lbs heavier. That weight matters when you factor price. If you were offroading where your tires have to rub their sidewall against obstacles often i'll say get BFG or Falken. If that type of offroading is not the main concern, any of the 3 will work to your advantage when it comes to wintry traction. The Falken in 315's will last the longest as they have a deeper thread. You can expect 1/32 every 5k miles with them in that size under the RAM 1500 truck weight, same with the KO2's. They GY's go a little faster, i just don't recall the wearing down rate i had with them. I had 2 blow outs in the trail so i got rid of them a little quicker than normal lol. That's why i don't like them much when i have to rub them against rocks :)

Have fun.

This is pure gold. Thanks for the details. Weight does matter given the significant difference at each corner. Especially when traction is similar between them.

In term of Off roading it in and out of corn fields and such for hunting and deer stand checks. Otherwise just mild trails and such.

My opinion lately has been that KO2s might be slightly best option as it’s only a few lbs heavier but seem to wear a little better and remain fairly quiet (while I don’t mind MT hum, my wife gets annoyed with it on longer trips). Also i am aware that KO2s are basically the smallest 35x12.5 there is at its more like 34.5” diameter which might make fit easier and less likely to rub.

Really appreciate your info especially as you’ve ran em all personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
bfill_rebel

bfill_rebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think this is kind of "which oil is better" question, but my vote definitely goes to KO2. I think I'm on my 5th or 6th set and I don't see a need to put anything else on my truck. Great for Chicago's winters (I'm in NW burbs). For me these are most versatile tires ever.
Had Duratracs once - good tires, but they were loud compared to the BFG's. Slightly, but noticeably worse mpg, too.
For me it's KO2 all the way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for input. I was hesitant to make this thread as I get it’s like the oil questions or what exact is loud but not too loud. Your real personal comparison seems to fit what I’ve read prior.

OP
OP
bfill_rebel

bfill_rebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
KO2's here aswell. Live in knoxville tn and even though this year I didn't get any snow amazingly but last year this truck handle amazing in snow. I do have 4x4 of course though.

No noise and looks great aswell. A tire that's basically known to be awesome.

I’ve had good luck with BFG with various TA models on cars. I know they are a solid brand. I mean the OG AT KO started the segment of AT tire basically.

Jetsfan122

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Express Crew Cab White
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can’t comment on the Duratracs, but I’ve had KO2’s on my truck(Express 4wd) for 3 1/2 years now (45,000 miles) . They’ve been great in rain/snow here on Long Island . Plenty of tread left as well. I did have a 2mpg drop though , but that was to be expected since my original rims were 17” and I increased to 265/70 with 20’ aftermarket rims . Overall , very happy with the tires.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Apologies, didn’t realize the age group in this thread. After you get under the outer soft compound, my father’s OEM size are clunky AF at low speeds like a mud tire.

Carry on if you think KO2s are still a competitive all terrain. Might be better off with duratracs because OEMs will actually let them leave the showroom in GM/Ram off-road trims.

ptb351

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had KO2s on my Ram for the last 30K miles here in Maine(we know snow). I have been very happy with them and when they wear out, will replace them with the same.

Luau_Pig

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I ran the KO2s through rain and snow. Traction is outstanding. Only issue I had was the hum while driving. Switched to the Falken At3w. Also great tractionwise. Tire is heavier but feels lighter in my opinion and no humming.

Joshua Collins

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 & 2023
Engine
6.7 & 5.7
Personally not a fan of either options i would look at nitto ridge grapplers had good wet weather luck with them on my last truck but decided on cooper at3 for the current truck and couldn't be happier. Honestly think they are one of the best at tires i have had but they dont have that aggressive look either but have been well in cold and wet weather. No real snow during travels but im sure they do well being a 3 peak rated tire.

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I like them both but the KO2s would get my vote unless they are significantly more per tire...

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Personally not a fan of either options i would look at nitto ridge grapplers had good wet weather luck with them on my last truck but decided on cooper at3 for the current truck and couldn't be happier. Honestly think they are one of the best at tires i have had but they dont have that aggressive look either but have been well in cold and wet weather. No real snow during travels but im sure they do well being a 3 peak rated tire.

Not me, those cooper discoverer at3’s I had on my last truck were a joke, even after being compared to the stock Goodyear SRA’s. Don’t get me wrong, these were much better than the SRA’s but not much. When they were brand new, they did alright but once they got down to half-worn, they really weren’t worth a crap anymore. They never really gave me the stability-feeling that those BFG all-terrain‘s and even my current Michelin defender ATX do in really hard downpours. It wasn’t long after that when I thought the Zeon’s mighta been a better selection.

Amazonica

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I've had DuraTracs and KO2s on my Wranglers in the past. These Jeeps were my DD too (I'm a one-vehicle lady). Been said by others in this thread, but I'll add my experience. I wheeled the heck out of the Wranglers in Moab and Colorado. Lived at 6700 ft elevation in Colorado year round. Have also spent a year in Alaska.

For serious offroading on a vehicle that you also drive to work, I'd say KO2s. Stay quieter all around, great loose-dirt traction, very good snow traction.

For icy, snowy, rainy conditions, the DuraTracs are only beat by studded tires IMO. They are good offroad, but as others have said, watch the sidewall. I'm glad my Rebel came with DuraTracs.

PowerWagon2019

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Hi, I have both DuraTracs and KO2s on my Ram 1500 and my Power Wagon.
Ko2 - better tread life, quieter on the highway less prone to punctures.
DuraTracs - better snow, ice, mud traction, less tread life, more noise on the highway, more prone to punctures than the Ko2 in IMHO.

Just my 2 cents I will buy the DuraTracs again and keep my spare and tire puncture kit ready for action when doing serious off-roading. But this is hard to judge as I take my DuraTracs in places I would not try in the Ko2 offroading.

Happy Wheeling!

Joshua Collins

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 & 2023
Engine
6.7 & 5.7
Not me, those cooper discoverer at3’s I had on my last truck were a joke, even after being compared to the stock Goodyear SRA’s. Don’t get me wrong, these were much better than the SRA’s but not much. When they were brand new, they did alright but once they got down to half-worn, they really weren’t worth a crap anymore. They never really gave me the stability-feeling that those BFG all-terrain‘s and even my current Michelin defender ATX do in really hard downpours. It wasn’t long after that when I thought the Zeon’s mighta been a better selection.

Just out of curiosity was this the new at3 as they did go through a redesign as i know the older ones had problems. There is 3 versions of them now all depending on size and load index. Only have a little over 10k on them so far but i do know they are light years better in wet weather than the factory gy sra hopefully they stay that way but time will tell. None the less i would have went with ridge grapplers if it wasnt for the deal i got on the at3s when i bought them as the grapplers would have been about $400 more and were not peak rated not that i really need them in texas other than traveling.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bfill_rebel

bfill_rebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've had DuraTracs and KO2s on my Wranglers in the past. These Jeeps were my DD too (I'm a one-vehicle lady). Been said by others in this thread, but I'll add my experience. I wheeled the heck out of the Wranglers in Moab and Colorado. Lived at 6700 ft elevation in Colorado year round. Have also spent a year in Alaska.

For serious offroading on a vehicle that you also drive to work, I'd say KO2s. Stay quieter all around, great loose-dirt traction, very good snow traction.

For icy, snowy, rainy conditions, the DuraTracs are only beat by studded tires IMO. They are good offroad, but as others have said, watch the sidewall. I'm glad my Rebel came with DuraTracs.

Thanks for your comparison since you have ran both. I don’t do any serious off-roading (live in IL and not many options as if I was in AZ or CO). Given that icy/snow conditions are my biggest concern I may continue to lean toward Duratracs.

OP
OP
bfill_rebel

bfill_rebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi, I have both DuraTracs and KO2s on my Ram 1500 and my Power Wagon.
Ko2 - better tread life, quieter on the highway less prone to punctures.
DuraTracs - better snow, ice, mud traction, less tread life, more noise on the highway, more prone to punctures than the Ko2 in IMHO.

Just my 2 cents I will buy the DuraTracs again and keep my spare and tire puncture kit ready for action when doing serious off-roading. But this is hard to judge as I take my DuraTracs in places I would not try in the Ko2 offroading.

Happy Wheeling!

Thanks for you real life/personal comparison of the two. Your experience since to detail what many say. “Better snow traction” is likely most important.

As stated in my OP I need a tire that in the wee hours of the morning unplowed streets are likely as I would be one of few cars on road besides a plow. I feel sacrificing some longevity (mileage) and durability off road (which would be something I needed maybe 20 days a year when hunting) is acceptable.

Also I know the KO2s have two compounds. A softer one (3 peak mountain snow rated) and a harder compound (for super duty or heavier trucks and without the 3 peak rating). As with my stock Toyo OC AT2 the harder compound is nice as I have 56k miles on them and a decent amount of tread left. It’s just in slick conditions the harder compound doesn’t seem to grip as much (makes sense and expected and these are stock tires). Can’t have it all, which I knew going into this.

Thanks for your reply and providing information that I can use to make a informed decision weighing each option.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just out of curiosity was this the new at3 as they did go through a redesign as i know the older ones had problems. There is 3 versions of them now all depending on size and load index. Only have a little over 10k on them so far but i do know they are light years better in wet weather than the factory gy sra hopefully they stay that way but time will tell. None the less i would have went with ridge grapplers if it wasnt for the deal i got on the at3s when i bought them as the grapplers would have been about $400 more and were not peak rated not that i really need them in texas other than traveling.

I don’t know when they supposedly re-designed them but the set I had was bought around 7 years ago. Truck was 5 years old when i sold it and I sold it with them on it. Didn’t have much tread left. But yeah, they were on there for quite a while but don’t be confused with that because i only put 40,000 miles on the truck from the tome I bought it to the time I sold it and the tires were taken care of. They were kept rotated/pressures kept and very rarely saw gravel roads. But they were definitely the AT3’s that looked I identical to the ones you can buy right now from Discount Tire.

Even though they were far better than the SRA’s- hell, anything’s better than those but I just wasn’t impressed with them. I actually prefer my Michelin’s over them that even handle light snow and ice much better as well.

Dbracela

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I’ve run both. Duratracs on my 1500 and KO2s on my power wagon. I much prefer the Duratracs for snow, ice, rain and when off road. I prefer the KO2s on dry roads as they are quieter. One plus for the KO2s is that they seem a little tougher than the duratracs I had but then again my duratracs were P rated.
Once these ones are in need of replacement I’ll be going back to Duratracs.

stbear007

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 sport crew
Engine
This is pure gold. Thanks for the details. Weight does matter given the significant difference at each corner. Especially when traction is similar between them.

In term of Off roading it in and out of corn fields and such for hunting and deer stand checks. Otherwise just mild trails and such.

My opinion lately has been that KO2s might be slightly best option as it’s only a few lbs heavier but seem to wear a little better and remain fairly quiet (while I don’t mind MT hum, my wife gets annoyed with it on longer trips). Also i am aware that KO2s are basically the smallest 35x12.5 there is at its more like 34.5” diameter which might make fit easier and less likely to rub.

Really appreciate your info especially as you’ve ran em all personally.

Ya if in Bush and more off road than I'd stick with ko2s. Like I said I asked a lot of ram guys of all types of tires as there are a ton of rams in my area. Most lived ko2s before but when replaced last few years found out they weren't as good as before. Than again trucks older might have played a difference? They changed to duratrac andxsaid they were better. So I went with duratrac as I'm not a fan of gy at all. I do find the sidewalls softer as now I get a slight roll in cornerin . My cooper discovery were great on last truck so i went with cooper zeon on new truck right away again as I'm not a fan of gy especially those wranglers once a years lol. The zeon ltz sucks after half worn. Even tho I replaced the 2 rear cooper zeon after I got rear ended at 80 plus miles an hour when I was at a dead stop on fwy in Detroit the new zeons slipped all over. The tire shop said they changed compounds on them just like ko2s to last longer. Who knows but I did like the gy for the very little sbow we had this year. I'm still thinking i should have went with ko2s myself. But at time it was week before Christmas and gy was $600 cheaper to install than ko2s. Next truck in a year or so I'll try the ko2s or falkens

stbear007

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 sport crew
Engine

I went to zeons after discovery and zeon was way worse. All 4 tires split from tread to rim in like 20 places. I'm surprised I didn't have a blow out and roll truck on hyw. I just happen to get sick of slipping all over the road even at low speeds with zeons. Thata what saved me from a catastrophe. Same as when cooper had a recall like 20 years ago. Cooper said they'd replace them free of charge but covid happened and haven't heard back from them in 2 months after I sent tires back to them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca