GY Duratracs vs BFG KO2 for my Rebel... help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stbear007

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 sport crew
Engine
Just out of curiosity was this the new at3 as they did go through a redesign as i know the older ones had problems. There is 3 versions of them now all depending on size and load index. Only have a little over 10k on them so far but i do know they are light years better in wet weather than the factory gy sra hopefully they stay that way but time will tell. None the less i would have went with ridge grapplers if it wasnt for the deal i got on the at3s when i bought them as the grapplers would have been about $400 more and were not peak rated not that i really need them in texas other than traveling.

Every so often for your safety if you drive corners hard like I do check the inside of tires for Any splitting from tread to rim on sidewalls my sidewalls only on inside not outer were all splitting real bad in so many places. Just check to be safe like every 5000miles

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I went to zeons after discovery and zeon was way worse. All 4 tires split from tread to rim in like 20 places. I'm surprised I didn't have a blow out and roll truck on hyw. I just happen to get sick of slipping all over the road even at low speeds with zeons. Thata what saved me from a catastrophe. Same as when cooper had a recall like 20 years ago. Cooper said they'd replace them free of charge but covid happened and haven't heard back from them in 2 months after I sent tires back to them.

Well I guess that clears that up. lol. I dunno, maybe there was a re-design on the AT3’s but I certainly was not impressed with the set I had on my old Ram.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chadlebrun

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My Nitro had Duratracs. I ran them one winter and swore I would never do that again. I also can’t stand the noise they make.
On my Ram I have studded cooper tires for winter.
For the rest of the year I have the Gy trail runners. I couldn’t be happier with this set up.

Daddyhas2boys

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm on my 2nd set bfg ko2, 1st set I got 60k-65k miles on them....very happy with them, just my opinion and experience

ultivssl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
I like following threads like this. I am currently running KO2's and had nothing but success with them but am always looking for options. They're great on the highway, nice and smooth, noisier and less MPG than SRA's but I expect that. I have never worried about getting stuck in snow with them, I am usually the 1st to go down the one "summer use only" grid when it's blown in and rarely put it into 4x4. Only time I do is when the drifts are up to the top of the bumper. I have only about 9/32nd left on these and had no wear issues yet, LT275/60r20 on stock rims.

The only thing I don't like of these tires is how they handle ice, they tend to break loose a bit too much for my liking.

OP
OP
bfill_rebel

bfill_rebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I like following threads like this. I am currently running KO2's and had nothing but success with them but am always looking for options. They're great on the highway, nice and smooth, noisier and less MPG than SRA's but I expect that. I have never worried about getting stuck in snow with them, I am usually the 1st to go down the one "summer use only" grid when it's blown in and rarely put it into 4x4. Only time I do is when the drifts are up to the top of the bumper. I have only about 9/32nd left on these and had no wear issues yet, LT275/60r20 on stock rims.

The only thing I don't like of these tires is how they handle ice, they tend to break loose a bit too much for my liking.

Glad the thread has been helpful. Also thanks for your feedback on your KO2s in handling ice.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Man, this is where opinions differ like crazy, but since you seem to probably be a whole lot more of an off-roader than I am, I would think your idea of a smooth ride is far, far different than mine and that from my standpoint, there’s nothing smooth about those BFG AT’s. Matter of fact, the word smooth and BFG AT do not go together in the same sentence. The set I had- and I even have the factory air ride on my Limited, rode like a tank. Even when they spent the first several months at 39 psi because at the time, I didn’t know no better, they still beat me to death. The last set I ever had, was in a 285/75/16 on an old 98 Ram, and those did the same thing. I replaced them with a much lighter 6 ply, ride was smooth as a baby’s butt so I figured hell, I’ve always liked the tire, maybe my air ride on this brand new 2018 will soften them up.... boy was I wrong. And don’t get me started once I realized I was running them dangerously low on air pressure when a BFG two said at the very minimum, they need to be no less that 50 psi!! Sure, they handled much better at that pressure, stopping distance improved, acceleration felt quicker and firmer and even cornering felt great but holy hell, you think they rode rough before? Sheeeeeat. That was like a walk in the park compared to the new pressures. Driving over a grasshopper felt like runnin’ over a hog. Lol.

So yeah, not trying to argue with ya, what I think is far diff’ernt from what you think, I just get a chuckle sometimes whenever I see someone say BFG’s ride nice. lol.

Anywho, carry on.

Well, they’re not a snow tire. I’ve never seen a non-snow tire not break loose on ice, unless it had a tire chain wrapped around it.

Last edited:

quik66gto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V-10
Just my nickel, i tried the Falken Wildpeak AT3W on my 2500 V-10.
Living in western Montana at the time and Snow/Ice on mountain roads (with long drop offs) is no joke.
Simply put i could drive comfortably in 2 wheel drive where the Toyos would barely go in 4x4.
The only problem is i wore them out in 25000 miles. But i was pulling 25K+ on a gooseneck running 80mph down the interstate.
My friends inform me that the Duratracks work well as an all around tire but never take them into the mountains off roading.
The soft sidewalls cut very easy.
The KO/2s are fantastic for mud and deep snow but not ice/snow mix on pavement.
The large blocks and lack of siping make it slippery.
I run the Falkens on my winter rims and mud tires on my summer rims.

wobly

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Ram 2500 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
For the comments earlier about the KO2's not working well in snow, there are two different versions. One with the snowflake and one without.https://www.ramforum.com/threads/k02s-with-or-without-dt./ If you are going to deal with snow, make sure you get the right version.

I am on my second set of KO2's and they work well for snow, dirt, gravel and pavement. You must keep them rotated and they can be temperamental to balance. But, they work for me and work well.

I am one of the "analysis paralysis" people and did a lot of homework before I got them. The big selling point to me was the sidewall strength. The GY Dura-Tracs have a reputation for a weak sidewall and I can personally attest that the sidewall on the KO2's is pretty damn strong!

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For the comments earlier about the KO2's not working well in snow, there are two different versions. One with the snowflake and one without.https://www.ramforum.com/threads/k02s-with-or-without-dt./ If you are going to deal with snow, make sure you get the right version.

I am on my second set of KO2's and they work well for snow, dirt, gravel and pavement. You must keep them rotated and they can be temperamental to balance. But, they work for me and work well.

I am one of the "analysis paralysis" people and did a lot of homework before I got them. The big selling point to me was the sidewall strength. The GY Dura-Tracs have a reputation for a weak sidewall and I can personally attest that the sidewall on the KO2's is pretty damn strong!

That’s interesting information I didn’t even know existed but just for the information of the thread, how do you specify which ones you want whether you have them ordered to your door from like, tire rack, or somethin, or if you bought them from discount tire for example, and had them delivered to your local discount tire?

Here’s these that came up on tire rack:

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tires....=2018&autoModel=1500+4wd&autoModClar=Crew+Cab

These came up on discount tire’s site. Which is which?

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/bfgoodrich-all-terrain-t-a-ko2/p/10394

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I mean, I’m assuming that if you were somebody who knew, you just probably have to call them up and talk to them on whatever site you went to and tell them you wanted basically the all season version of this tire or the one that’s better suited for icy roads and snow but what if you’re somebody who didn’t know there was two different ones and you just went to either one of those two sites, where does it pop up on there to tell you that hey, there’s two different types of these tires, which do you want?

wobly

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Ram 2500 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The DT version has the 50,000 mile warranty. The regular snowflake version does not. Discount Tire is showing the DT with the snowflake, but I believe it is incorrect, unless something changed since I bought my tires September 2019. If you open their descriptions of the tires, they prominently discuss the snowflake on the softer tire, but there is no description on the DT version.

And yes, I have 275/65-20's on my truck. I specifically went looking for the "Snowflake version" because I drive on ice and snow in Colorado.

KO2 Tires.JPG

OP
OP
bfill_rebel

bfill_rebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Thanks for mentioning that. I did know there is a difference and it’s a big one apparently when reading reviews online. Heavy duty geared KO2s the “DT” ones likely use a harder compound to prevent early wear under the heavier trucks. Harder compound and snow traction do not go together.

Analysis paralysis is a great term for where I am at and why I started this thread. Thanks for your input on KO2s

northvibe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I live in the north and was in the same boat with my rubi wrangler and this ram 1500. Usually I do a set of winter tires and summer for all my vehicles, but with how big the ram wheels were, I thought there had to be 1 tire that was pretty good however sacrificing mpgs. From the research I did, it was down to duratrac and ko2's. However at the end it seemed the duratrac was a better winter/ice tire. I went duratrac along with my sister in law's bf on his f150. This last winter, they did awesome, once you felt the capability/limits. They didn't grip as well as a snow tire for braking, but once you remembered that and compensated. It is the only tire I'll buy again for the ram. MPG dropped 2 immediately. Which I'd rather have safer tires that the stock hwy only ones....

OP
OP
bfill_rebel

bfill_rebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I live in the north and was in the same boat with my rubi wrangler and this ram 1500. Usually I do a set of winter tires and summer for all my vehicles, but with how big the ram wheels were, I thought there had to be 1 tire that was pretty good however sacrificing mpgs. From the research I did, it was down to duratrac and ko2's. However at the end it seemed the duratrac was a better winter/ice tire. I went duratrac along with my sister in law's bf on his f150. This last winter, they did awesome, once you felt the capability/limits. They didn't grip as well as a snow tire for braking, but once you remembered that and compensated. It is the only tire I'll buy again for the ram. MPG dropped 2 immediately. Which I'd rather have safer tires that the stock hwy only ones....

Thanks for this information

paul236

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
I have a '20 Rebel. I noticed early on that these Duratracs didn't have the snowflake symbol on it. I contacted Goodyear, and the Rebel's OEM LT275/70R18 does not meet the 3PMSF criteria. I've been getting around in our area's week-long snow conditions, but they don't perform near as well as the Blizzaks on my previous RAM.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Been running Duratracs for 35 years. Have run quite a few others but keep going back to the Duratrac for the pickup. They make a load range D tire for 1500s, that is the bomb for softer ride, lower aire pressure, quieter and better gas mileage. They are also a bit softer so not a good choice on the 2500 or 3500.

Virtually ever oil patch truck up here runs them, or for REALLY bad mud BFG Mud Terrains. The Duratrac are a much better all round tire. I took off and gave away the Firestone Transforce ATs that came on my 2021 2500. They were TOTALLY useless in mud or snow. Put Duratracs on with less than 2000 miles on the clock. No more problems. I run the same tire year round so you need good mud, decent hioghway and good snow performance. Their one weak spot in the E series is ice, they don't stop as good as a pure winter tire, but they have the three peak for places you need that.

Last edited:

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a '20 Rebel. I noticed early on that these Duratracs didn't have the snowflake symbol on it. I contacted Goodyear, and the Rebel's OEM LT275/70R18 does not meet the 3PMSF criteria. I've been getting around in our area's week-long snow conditions, but they don't perform near as well as the Blizzaks on my previous RAM.
Well of course they won’t, those Bridgestone Blizzaks are a straight up, bona fide snow tire only meant to be run in wintery conditions. Just because a certain other tire has the mountain snowflake or the “M+S” on its sidewall doesn’t put it in the same category as a full-fledged winter tire. It just means the tread is suitable for winter use and for the rest of the year.