Had something interesting happen today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Out running errands with my wife this afternoon in my truck everything was running fine. Stopped in the parking lot waiting for her to run and out of the bank, probably sat there for 10min or so idling. She calls me over to come in and sign one of the checks so I turn off the truck and get out and here the sound of water pouring onto the pavement... radiator over flowed, dumped half a gallon or so on the ground. Thought the hose split or something because the level and everything was just fine, and the temps were right where they should have been. Anyways, we leave the truck sitting in the bank parking lot and walk over to the store across the street and spend a while there stopped back into the bank to sign some more paperwork. Want to say maybe 2hrs passed while it was sitting. Go back over and there is still a rather large puddle under the passenger side that stillwasnt dry (98* out and sunny). Pop the hood and the overflow bottle looked fine, right about where it should be, popped the radiator cap and it was dry. Picked up a jug of water so I could get it home atleast and added a little, started the truck and let it run for a bit with the cap off adding a little water here and there. Put the cap back on and headed home, about a 40min drive in stop and go traffic. It heated up pretty quickly, ran up to 192 before dropping down to the 180-185* mark and stayed that temp all the way home. Checked it when we got home and nothing is dripping no leaks, no overheating. It was just odd that as soon as I turned off the truck it blew out like that. It wasn't leaking when we got there, wasn't dripping when we stopped and she got out, it only happened when I turned it off. Waiting for it to cool down a bit before I pop the cap.and see how low it is but still it was incredibly odd for it to do that, like the pressure just built up to much.

bluethunder08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like the thermostat got stuck. When it got up to 192 then opened up and let the water flow and cooled back down. That would be my guess.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Leaks that only come around when cooling off are typically caused by cracks. :-(

Catchin Zs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow close call. This happened to me not too long ago, I installed my 180 thermostat and has the hardest time ever with my big ass hands to get that lower right housing bolt on there so I half assed it and only did the top left bolt. Next day I went to work, came out on lunch break and there was a pool of antifreeze on the ground. Luckily I was working at an auto parts wholesaler.

OP
OP
T

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
That's the thing, it never once over heated, even while idling before it blew out it was running at 188* after driving highway speeds for a half hour. So it was warmed up and good. Didn't leak at all on the way home on cool down. Really looks like the overflow is where it came from.

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i had something similar happen to me before. it was running fine, turn it off got out and heard it dumping everywhere. i looked and mine was coming out the radiator cap, temp was normal too. dont know why it happened but i replaced the cap anyway and it hasnt done it since

OP
OP
T

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Alright went out and looked at it. Overflow reservoir is at the full mark, popped the cap and there was a sticky oily film on the bottom of the cap and sides of the radiator and looking in its dry, usually I see the antifreeze up to the cap or at least visible.

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Yeh x 2 could maybe be Cap related and can't handle pressure build up anymore, odd but I would start there and change it out Mopar style! Doesn't sound like the stat from what you described.

OP
OP
T

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Ill grab a new cap tomorrow. Need another bottle of seafoam anyways. Its not the stat, it still regulates the temperature and opens when it should. It almost looked like the whole radiator emptied into the overflow tank and then spilled out of there.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Hoping its just the cap and not a crack in the radiator at the seem. The 04-05 trucks got a bad batch at the factory and would split at the passenger side seem when it cooled off. Mine went out bout 4 years ago I believe. I was the 10th truck that month to have one split in the same spot at my dealership. Check where your getting the cap from and see if they have a tool rental to test your rad and cooling system. It plugs into where the rad cap goes and will test the whole system.

Last edited: