Had to retorque

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jcs64

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 4wd
Engine
hemi 5.7
Just a heads up, to guys w/ the mcgaughy's panhard relocater.

3,338 miles on the drop (2/4), I went to retorque my lug nuts yesterday and found a weird clunking noise when I pushed and pulled at the top of the rear drivers side tire. The wheel almost felt loose but I couldn't locate where or why (lug nuts were all tight)

I rolled underneath and pushed the tire w/ my feet and the cause was right in front of me (literally).

This bolt was just not tight enough to hold the bars bushing stationary and was knocking back and forth.
DSC02095_zpsabd8b84d.jpg

I checked the torque in the directions, it called for 65lbs. Little by little I increased that and settled at 110 lbs :)

I will keep an eye on that bolt and probably replace it since I think the problem is that the bolt is all thread w/ no shoulder area. That means If the drilled hole is 1/2 ", the threaded area of the1/2" bolt is a smaller dia and will continue to be racked back and forth until it breaks or egg shapes the hole!
*****(I just picked 1/2" off the top of my head, I m not sure what the actual size was)****************

Go wiggle your drivers side rear tire and make sure your tight!

jeff

OP
OP
J

jcs64

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 4wd
Engine
hemi 5.7
just went and took my own advice and wiggled my tire again.

Knock, knock, knock, Wtf loose again just one day later!

Im now sure that I used the wrong bolt. The one that was in there measured .540".
(not sure if is metric, didn't look it up).
A 9/16 bolt w/shoulder is .560 and is a great fit. Only problem is that there is a slight ovaling of the brackets holes now. I may have drill out and go to a 5/8 bolt, or just weld the 9/16's nut to the bracket, that will lock it in real good.

jeff

Lhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Predator 4x4 Dually & 2012 Ram Puinsher R/T 1 of 1
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo & Hemi 5.7
Mine has a leg welded to it to prevent backing out. Are you using any form of lock tight?

S

scotts2012ram

Red lock tight if it backs off there's other problems. I dont care i use red on all suspension bolts not lugs

OP
OP
J

jcs64

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 4wd
Engine
hemi 5.7
Mine has a leg welded to it to prevent backing out. Are you using any form of lock tight?

mine had the leg on the nut too. Its not that the bolt was loosening, but it was the wrong bolt for that hole.
the diameter of that all threaded bolt (no shoulder area) is too small to support the bushing, which allows is to knock around.

if you have that bolt/nut w/ the leg on it in that position, id sugest replacing it w/ a 9/16 bolt w/ a shouldered area long enough to support the bushing

I believe the all threaded bolt is supposed to go in the top position (the leg on the nut will let you tighten it without needing to hold a wrench on it)

jeff

C3ntury

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Ram 1500 CC Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I recently replaced the "leg-nut" XD on the panhard axle because the leg actually sheared off. Unless you use red loctite you'll have to retighten every now and then, especially with roads that have more potholes than pavement.

Lhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Predator 4x4 Dually & 2012 Ram Puinsher R/T 1 of 1
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo & Hemi 5.7
Riding Harley's all my life, my red lock tight is right next to my duct tape and bailing wire. :)

mightyduc998

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Riding Harley's all my life, my red lock tight is right next to my duct tape and bailing wire. :)

And the diapers to go under the primary...
Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I467 using Tapatalk