Halogen lights, parking light out.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RCKable

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know there are a bunch of threads but they seem to be with LEDs or aftermarket housings so I’ll take the brunt of asking this. Every light is working even 3rd brake light. I have OEM housings and halogen lights i do have reverse LED canbus error free. Could the bulb still be bad or is it likely the socket? I find it strange I can put 3” cluster back in and don’t get the message.

Attachments

• IMG_6978.jpeg
    IMG_6978.jpeg
    188.5 KB · Views: 5

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't understand what you mean? Is the light out or working? If it is out check the socket with a test light to see if the power is there.

OP
OP
RCKable

RCKable

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't understand what you mean? Is the light out or working? If it is out check the socket with a test light to see if the power is there.
When I turn the lights on and I look at the lights they are all on, with the exception of course the 3rd light since that’s never on until brakes are touched but the parking lights are lit, the brake lights light up when brakes touched, blinkers front and rear working. I did just start getting this after swapping to a 7” cluster from the 3”. And I never had a Uconnect headunit if that matters.

OP
OP
RCKable

RCKable

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My daughter realized something the message only appears when you press the brake pedal, but all brake likes do come on.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know there are a bunch of threads but they seem to be with LEDs or aftermarket housings so I’ll take the brunt of asking this. Every light is working even 3rd brake light. I have OEM housings and halogen lights i do have reverse LED canbus error free. Could the bulb still be bad or is it likely the socket? I find it strange I can put 3” cluster back in and don’t get the message.

The problem you are experiencing is very difficult to understand from your explanation and is becoming more confusing with your additional posts.

Let me try to help with identifying the problem or problems by asking questions and you can inform me if I understand correctly and have all the facts straight.

You have traditional OEM lighting with Halogen headlights and LED reverse lights.
Yes or something different?

All the exterior lighting works correctly except AlfaOBD is showing a L tail lamp wiring fault. Yes or something else?

Has anyone recently performed any work on the L tail lamp or associated wiring?

Do you also see the fault on the EVIC?
Were the reverse lights recently converted to LED or no, they have been working for a period of time?

You have also recently upgraded the 3" cluster to a 7" EVIC. Yes?

Is this when the fault notification started?

I'm not clear on if you've also upgraded to a Uconnect radio at the same time, yes or something else?

When you switch back to the 3" cluster, the fault on AlfaOBD clears, yes or something else?

Was everything working correctly before the switch from the 3"cluster to the 7" EVIC?

Have you changed anything else at the same time as the EVIC change?

Please use the quote button and answer inline with my text using a space below each question and preferably a different font, if possible.

Please answer all questions or ask for a clarification if it isn't clear.

This information will assist members to help you get this sorted.

OP
OP
RCKable

RCKable

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You have traditional OEM lighting with Halogen headlights and LED reverse lights.
Yes or something different?
Yes
All the exterior lighting works correctly except AlfaOBD is showing a L tail lamp wiring fault. Yes or something else?
Yes, only after it pops up on EVICE
Has anyone recently performed any work on the L tail lamp or associated wiring?
Not since I've owned it, and LED's put in beginning of March
Do you also see the fault on the EVIC?
Yes on the 7" EVIC "parking light out"
Were the reverse lights recently converted to LED or no, they have been working for a period of time?
Reverse LED were put in on March 2 working fine since
You have also recently upgraded the 3" cluster to a 7" EVIC. Yes?
Yes this past Friday
Is this when the fault notification started?
Yes
I'm not clear on if you've also upgraded to a Uconnect radio at the same time, yes or something else?
No Uconnect radio, had the R1 bare bones radio, has had Android headunit since Sept, not 100% plug/play. I was told this would cause a telemetry code since EVIC and Radio aren't communicating I'm okay with that part.
When you switch back to the 3" cluster, the fault on AlfaOBD clears, yes or something else?
Yes no code, did not check Alfa with 3" to be honest since it didnt come up with 3" back in.
Was everything working correctly before the switch from the 3"cluster to the 7" EVIC?
Yes - no warning lights before switching to 7" evic, put 7" evic back in the truck it came out of and does not get a parking light out on that truck.
Have you changed anything else at the same time as the EVIC change?
Nothing mechanical, Just changed Cluster stuff - Mileage, Engine hours, Idle hours, Windows down, special package 2 so splash screen said Ram 1500 instead of power wagon, which is when I think the parking light out message started. Forget about the post i did that said my daughter noticed its only when pressing brakes, that's not true as i tested that when she got back late last night.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the info, I think that should help anyone who chooses to contribute.

I have to wonder if the 3" is incapable of producing the same fault as the 7" EVIC. I trust that you have thoroughly inspected all of the connections on the EVIC, correct?

My money is on the possibility that there truly is some degradation to the wiring, connectors, bulb socket and/or ground associated with the L tail lamp.

I would re-install the 7" EVIC, confirm that the 'bulb out' fault returns, and inspect the L lamp socket wiring for damage and the socket for corrosion.

Next, inspect the ground connection for that lamp. Is the ground connection tight, corrosion-free, and no damaged wiring?

If you have a multimeter, remove the bulb and have a volunteer step on the brake while you measure and record the voltage between a good ground and the center connection in the socket. This is to prove the 12 VDC feed to the lamp.

Replace the bulb and then measure between that same ground and the outside of the lamp socket, it should be 0. If you are able to measure any voltage, even in the mV rage, this suggests that the ground is compromised. The BCM monitoring may be more picky than what is required to illuminate the bulb. AFAIK, the BCM generates the bulb out fault notification on the EVIC.

Unless the ground connection point is clean and bare, it might be worth removing the ground screw and scuffing up the surface with emery paper, applying a very thin film of dielectric grease and re-assemble.

Then, check to see that the 'bulb out' fault has cleared.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RCKable

RCKable

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Issue was the socket. Figure I would update, it's been about a week now and I have not had parking light out message since replacing the socket. I bought OEM from dealership, $18. I can also confirm, i would get this message within 30 seconds of lights being on, and every time i pressed the brake pedal.