Ham Antenna Mount

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Overlander

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 75th Aniv Build #0006
Engine
6.4 Hemi
This seems like the best solution I can find. I'm going to be running the AT Summit and ideally the antenna would be mounted high. But with as tall as the truck will be with the Summit, I'm leaning toward a fender mount. Might not be the best for ultimate range, but it keeps the antenna from being scraped off on tree branches, drive-thru overhangs, etc. 99% of my use is simplex line of sight vehicle:vehicle. I occasionally do reach out to a repeater and to a fixed base at a mobile cabin. And APRS is running all the time.

Anyone come up with a better solution?

https://www.americanradiosupply.com...FomPKaOsCDla3QYUnhZ6gsNnnTSUgE3hoCahMQAvD_BwE

upload_2020-12-9_11-8-19.png

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
Thanks for posting this. I have been out of the Amateur radio hobby for quite some years.
With the CHYNA virus keeping me from other activities I have been thinking about how I might mount and use an old ICOM 2M rig in my RAM. The antenna mounting is what was holding me back. That looks like a solution.

mdowning

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 Tradesman Powerwagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I used the DG2ANTPF from Comet Antenna:

https://cometantenna.com/amateur-radio/no-holes-mobile-mounts/antenna-mounts-and-brackets/

It works, but I am not 100% satisfied. It moves a little too much (drive thru car wash is not your friend), and the bolt hole is too soft and strips easily. I ended up tapping it out for a larger bolt and so far, so good.

I will come up with another solution later. I want to put my FT-857d back in the truck and will need a stronger mount for the ATAS.

--md

OP
OP
Overlander

Overlander

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yeah, I'm sure there will be some flex with the way it curves under the hood. Looks like there are two screw points in the valley where you could stiffen it up if you didn't mind two small holes.

I wonder if something like this ditch mount extension from Rago wouldn't be a bad option...

upload_2020-12-9_22-38-35.png

SkeeterBait

Reaction score
The Birthplace Town of the "Jersey Devil"
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yes, this is always an area of great consternation for me also... In the past I would remove the high-mounted stop light and route the feed line there and cut a hole in the roof for the antenna base...! Then use a "fold-over" antenna.

I'm not gonna do that - no way - on this new PW.

I'll be watching closely as to what you guys wind up doing...

Robert... W2RCM

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I wonder why they say that’s specifically for a 2021. If that’s the case, it should be compatible with all 2009-2018 1500, 2019-current 1500 classic, and 2010-current HD trucks. Odd that it specifically points out a 2021 2500, unless that has something to do with the link you clicked after checking availability to your specific truck.

John Wooten

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Im still trying to figure out where Im ganna put the CB in my truck so it doesn't look like hot trash... lol

OP
OP
Overlander

Overlander

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Do you have a specific need for CB? If not, would highly recommend Ham or gmrs. Ham, while a license is required, is more universal than gmrs. GMRS isn't a bad system, it's just not (yet) a common denominator in a group setting.

50w and the ability to tap repeaters is a big gain over CB.

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Do you have a specific need for CB? If not, would highly recommend Ham or gmrs. Ham, while a license is required, is more universal than gmrs. GMRS isn't a bad system, it's just not (yet) a common denominator in a group setting.

50w and the ability to tap repeaters is a big gain over CB.
GMRS is quickly gaining ground in trail rides as the standard for trail comms, but also requires a license. I have a 50W radio tested up to 5 miles without a tuned antenna.

OP
OP
Overlander

Overlander

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If you're mission is to run trails with a specific group of people and that group chooses to standardize on GMRS then it could definitely be a great solution. The range and clarity is by far improved over 5w AM CB comms. But its limited in features vs. a Ham. If, for example, your mission requires the radio to serve as an emergency help tool on a remote trip then GMRS isn't the best solution. Yes, you can supplement with a satellite messenger (which I do) but that tool has lag which a radio doesn't. A Ham will get you the best of all worlds for a small investment of time. Though, as you stated, if you run with a group that only uses GMRS and it solves the majority of your comm needs then it can be a great tool.

I, OTOH, almost never do group runs. I'm not a 'crawler' or OHV guy. I like to get away from people and explore. For me the radio is both a means to communicate with one of the few vehicles I travel with and a way to tap out to another human if help is needed (i.e. via repeater, 146.52, etc). It also offers the APRS technology which passively limits the SAR radius should I become incapacitated (which satellite technology does as well, though with my subscription plan the beaconing is less frequent and the dots farther apart than APRS). My cohorts do also value the Ham system so it's an easy one-radio solution for me. There's also the 'MARS' mod available for Ham that gets you access to the otherwise 'locked' public safety frequencies. While I'm no longer an active reserve deputy nor an active SAR volunteer I would have zero hesitation using a public safety freq for emergency purposes. So for me, the Ham is the best solution for my needs. And I don't want to get into a two-radio (or three-radio) solution space. I've ran Ham and CB before and it makes for a cluttered cab.

And just to clarify, GMRS is more of a FCC registration than a license. No knowledge testing required.

Lastly, and this is a grey area for some (and black/white for others), you can get some Hams to transmit/receive on FMS/GMRS bands. For example, my little Baofeng UV-5Rs that I keep as backup/spotting radios will work very well with my son's FRS. Just not legally. But at the mid power setting on the UV-5R it's very unlikely you're going to cause any real-world disruption on that band.

SkeeterBait

Reaction score
The Birthplace Town of the "Jersey Devil"
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Easier yet is to use hand held talkies on the FRS frequencies.
Getting the Amateur Radio License is far easier than it was in years' past. No Morse code required now, and far more rewarding overall.

Last edited:

skydyver83

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I've also been hunting around for an antenna mount I can live with. Been using magnetic mounts for long road trips temporarily but they will always impact your paint/finish eventually. I've also looked at the third brake light solutions but haven't found one that will work with the optional oem light with cargo cam. I also tried to find a headache rack which could work well for a mounting surface but good luck with that if you have a rambox. I'm thinking the best solution for me may come when I add a bedrack such as one from the Nuthouse Industries or Dethloff Manufacturing and using it for a mounting surface. The racks look great, a little expensive but most likely worth it. For me it would also require a new tonneau putting it outside of my budget for now.
Good luck on your quest and please share any other solutions you might find :)

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My buds and I just went to gmrs and never will I go back to a cb. Pay your $70 for a 10 year license which came in 2 days. Couple of us got the midland mxt105 and one got the 40watt midland. We can talk to each other in our respective drive ways and I live at least 8 miles as the crow flies and 15 miles driving from one and just a bit less to the other one. There is a city of 100,000 people and a University campus between two of us and a mountain between 2 of us. We just got back from Moab and they worked so slick. we are on a private channel so no other jibber on our channel like CB's and we can talk further than a 1/4 mile away without any problem. Crystal clear conversation and they are small as a cell phone and the antenna is 6" long with no tuning needed, small magnetic mount that won't scratch if you put down a small piece of clear 3m tape first. I just velcroed it to my dash so can remove it when I want.

C4A02FAE-9F8F-40E4-9893-2E00B2194E5D_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:

MetalDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel

UTAHPWRWGN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
This seems like the best solution I can find. I'm going to be running the AT Summit and ideally the antenna would be mounted high. But with as tall as the truck will be with the Summit, I'm leaning toward a fender mount. Might not be the best for ultimate range, but it keeps the antenna from being scraped off on tree branches, drive-thru overhangs, etc. 99% of my use is simplex line of sight vehicle:vehicle. I occasionally do reach out to a repeater and to a fixed base at a mobile cabin. And APRS is running all the time.

Anyone come up with a better solution?

https://www.americanradiosupply.com...FomPKaOsCDla3QYUnhZ6gsNnnTSUgE3hoCahMQAvD_BwE

View attachment 230010

Be careful with that style mount. Have them on my Land Cruiser and it will flex and rub the paint off the truck. In hindsight I should have just mounted them to my ARB bumper. Not sure where I'm gonna mount on the PW yet but probably on the roof or bed rack.

PWBOI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OP
OP
Overlander

Overlander

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Be careful with that style mount. Have them on my Land Cruiser and it will flex and rub the paint off the truck. In hindsight I should have just mounted them to my ARB bumper. Not sure where I'm gonna mount on the PW yet but probably on the roof or bed rack.

Yeah, I had the flex issue on my 2000 Land Cruiser as well. You can mitigate the flex by using a second (or third) screw (if you're willing to drill) as well as by using some felt tape on the bottom side of the mount. My options are either the fender mount or putting it up high on the Summit. Or some other mount that I haven't found yet.

Have you seen this mount below?

https://bulletproofdiesel.com/products/third-brake-light-antenna-mount-2019-2020-ram-1500-trucks

I currently have the one below for my radio and love it.

https://www.evilmanufacturing.com/l...-ford-f150-evil-offroad-3rd-brake-light-mount
They make it for Rams , but wanted to show it completed , I have the radio mount mounted in the center as it was a option.

Thanks for the ideas. I posted some other Ram 2500 third light options above and would probably go that route if it wasn't for the Summit overhang over the cab.

John Wooten

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wife and I are into overlandinging, and generally finding places to get lost at. My old truck had one, but my 2017 has all the whistles and bells, so I doesn't really have a place to put a CB. Where are you all mounting yours up at?

OP
OP
Overlander

Overlander

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
What's a CB? :)

I'll be running the FTM-300DR. It has a remote head that will be mounted either up top with something like a ProClip Mount or maybe down on the center console, space permitting. I have the 75th Aniv ordered so until I get to see exactly what the center console space is like I won't know for certain.

ProClip option:

upload_2020-12-18_9-19-49.png

If you're set on running an old school, archaic, poor audio quality CB :) you might want to consider the Cobra 75WXST. It has a very small power box and all the controls are located in the mic.

upload_2020-12-18_9-23-2.png