Hands free radio issues after battery explosion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mudd Flapp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
View media item 28513View media item 28512So had an exciting morning a few weeks back. Hit the auto start on my 2014 1500 and the battery exploded. I have heard of batteries exploding while jump starting, or shorting the terminals, but never just starting. Anyway, got the truck cleaned up, new battery installed but continue to have an issue with the hands free phone and with the washer fluid level light (which resolved). My insurance agreed to pay for the paint damage and electrical issues (but not the battery). I was heading out of town for vacation and dropped the truck off at the local Ram Dealer and told them I would be back in two weeks, gave them the adjusters name and number and told them work it out. The day before I get back, I call the dealer and they tell me I need a new instrument cluster and a new mirror/microphone combo. I asked if they had contacted the adjuster and they said no. So I get a quote sent to the adjuster. Tell the dealer the work is approved and to order parts. He tells 7-10 days lead time on parts, I told him I would pick the truck up that day and bring it back when the parts arrived. The dealer calls the next day to tell me they can't order the parts until they are paid for. I tell them I will drop the check off as some as the insurance mails it. After I pick the truck up, I notice the washer fluid issue has resolved (most likely a bad connection that they corrected during their troubleshooting, so I no longer need the instrument panel. I figure the mirror/microphone is an easy parts swap, and more convenient for me to DIY than **** around with dropping the truck off at the dealer. Figured I would send the insurance company back the check they cut to the dealership and have them pay me the $100 for a mirror and all is good. Only issue was the mirror/microphone didn't fix my issue. I suspect that dealer didn't do any sort of troubleshooting with the radio. To make matters worse, the sales department started calling and leaving me messages during this time, when I called them back (hoping they had some parts for me), it was the sales people trying to sell me a new truck. So anyway, I am done with this dealer.

So anyway this is my issue:

Uconnect 5.0 RA2
Everything works as normal, except the hands-free bluetooth microphone audio. I can hear the call just fine, but they can't hear me, only what my wife said sounds like trying to call a fax machine.
I deleted and re-paired my phone, no change.
I have swapped the mirror/microphone, no change.
I have removed the radio head, cleaned the connector, no change.
At this point I am fairly certain that the input audio amplifier is blown and the head unit needs to be replaced.

Fearing the radio head is bad, I called a different dealer and he tells me they can't get the radio head (PN# P68226685AD) and doesn't show an updated replacement. I asked him if they had any good technicians that could help troubleshoot, he told me no, that they had a bunch of parts swappers (at least he was honest). Well damn.

My question to the collective knowledge is
1. Are there any other parts hidden in this system, other than the microphones and the control head?
2. Any recommendations for a plug and play aftermarket system, that maintains the functionality of the unconnect steering wheel controls, hands free, and maybe adds GPS and CarPlay?
3. Any other ideas

Thanks for your input

Mudd Flapp in Mississippi

OP
OP
M

Mudd Flapp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does anyone know if there is a separate Bluetooth module or microphone amplifier hidden in the dash?

OP
OP
M

Mudd Flapp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just to follow up for anyone searching this post. I finally found a dealership that could troubleshoot this issue. Did end up being the input amplifier in the radio head. Took about 1 hour to troubleshoot. They ordered the part and it took another week for it come in. Less than an hour to swap it out. Back in business

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Was this the original battery?

OP
OP
M

Mudd Flapp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No, it was a Super Start Extreme (I think this is a O'Reily's house brand) that was in the truck when I bought it. No indications of a battery fault, no charging issues, slow starts or anything else to give worry before this happened. Hit the autostart, truck went through its normal lights on, horn honk, and about the second turn of the motor, she blew. I thought someone shot me with a canon. Thankfully, I was still on the porch and not in the truck.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
View media item 28513View media item 28512So had an exciting morning a few weeks back. Hit the auto start on my 2014 1500 and the battery exploded. I have heard of batteries exploding while jump starting, or shorting the terminals, but never just starting. Anyway, got the truck cleaned up, new battery installed but continue to have an issue with the hands free phone and with the washer fluid level light (which resolved). My insurance agreed to pay for the paint damage and electrical issues (but not the battery). I was heading out of town for vacation and dropped the truck off at the local Ram Dealer and told them I would be back in two weeks, gave them the adjusters name and number and told them work it out. The day before I get back, I call the dealer and they tell me I need a new instrument cluster and a new mirror/microphone combo. I asked if they had contacted the adjuster and they said no. So I get a quote sent to the adjuster. Tell the dealer the work is approved and to order parts. He tells 7-10 days lead time on parts, I told him I would pick the truck up that day and bring it back when the parts arrived. The dealer calls the next day to tell me they can't order the parts until they are paid for. I tell them I will drop the check off as some as the insurance mails it. After I pick the truck up, I notice the washer fluid issue has resolved (most likely a bad connection that they corrected during their troubleshooting, so I no longer need the instrument panel. I figure the mirror/microphone is an easy parts swap, and more convenient for me to DIY than **** around with dropping the truck off at the dealer. Figured I would send the insurance company back the check they cut to the dealership and have them pay me the $100 for a mirror and all is good. Only issue was the mirror/microphone didn't fix my issue. I suspect that dealer didn't do any sort of troubleshooting with the radio. To make matters worse, the sales department started calling and leaving me messages during this time, when I called them back (hoping they had some parts for me), it was the sales people trying to sell me a new truck. So anyway, I am done with this dealer.

So anyway this is my issue:

Uconnect 5.0 RA2
Everything works as normal, except the hands-free bluetooth microphone audio. I can hear the call just fine, but they can't hear me, only what my wife said sounds like trying to call a fax machine.
I deleted and re-paired my phone, no change.
I have swapped the mirror/microphone, no change.
I have removed the radio head, cleaned the connector, no change.
At this point I am fairly certain that the input audio amplifier is blown and the head unit needs to be replaced.

Fearing the radio head is bad, I called a different dealer and he tells me they can't get the radio head (PN# P68226685AD) and doesn't show an updated replacement. I asked him if they had any good technicians that could help troubleshoot, he told me no, that they had a bunch of parts swappers (at least he was honest). Well damn.

My question to the collective knowledge is
1. Are there any other parts hidden in this system, other than the microphones and the control head?
2. Any recommendations for a plug and play aftermarket system, that maintains the functionality of the unconnect steering wheel controls, hands free, and maybe adds GPS and CarPlay?
3. Any other ideas

Thanks for your input

Mudd Flapp in Mississippi

Hi, I'm very sorry to hear this. Please let me know if you plan on visiting a dealership for this concern. I would be happy to open a case for you.

Alison
RamCares

OP
OP
M

Mudd Flapp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi, I'm very sorry to hear this. Please let me know if you plan on visiting a dealership for this concern. I would be happy to open a case for you.

Alison
RamCares
I will leave the original dealer out of the discussion. I can tell that Crown Dodge/Ram in Pascagoula, MS is where I will be taking my truck for service. Great folks there.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I will leave the original dealer out of the discussion. I can tell that Crown Dodge/Ram in Pascagoula, MS is where I will be taking my truck for service. Great folks there.

Sounds good! Please reach out if you need any additional service.

Alison
RamCares